NFL: 2018 Training Camp Discussion thread

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It could very well be that the off-season is too long compared to the other sports and it's a case, as you say, that they are being asked too much, too soon in camp and for some of these guys, the body can't cope with that and it breaks down.

On the flipside, you can argue that maybe some of these guys aren't training the right way in the off-season. Or that they are starting to train TOO EARLY after the season and not getting enough rest. If I was a football player, I'd take a solid month off after every season just to let the body heal.

All I know is I really doubt you had this many injuries in the 1990's or even 10 years ago so early in camp. Something changed.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
From what I understand, muscles can be (and are currently being) pushed to the limit, but ligaments don't really grow or get much stronger no matter how much you work them. So you're asking them to do more as these guys get bigger. I'm not sure there's a solution.

Then of course there's just simply more football players so there will be more injuries reported.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Are these guys going from 0 to 60 on the first couple days of camp? No easing into it?

You don’t hear nhlers or nba guys going down in he first week of camp like this. Not even pitchers wreck heir shoulders and elbows at the rates nfl guys go down in camp.

It's probably going from zero contact/pads to contact/pads. Cockrell's injury is something that happens frequently that usually ends up without an injury occurring.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
From what I understand, muscles can be (and are currently being) pushed to the limit, but ligaments don't really grow or get much stronger no matter how much you work them. So you're asking them to do more as these guys get bigger. I'm not sure there's a solution.

Then of course there's just simply more football players so there will be more injuries reported.

Plus they have to report every injury. No matter how minor.

Reactions: What the Faulk

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Couple days in and i'm already sick of the "hype" around Tannehill. He has a new knee, guys! Look at that sick knee brace! Surely this is the year he finally takes the next step! Just like 2017, and 16, and 15, and so on.

Probably won't watch another game until they actually get a new QB or something. Tannehill will be absolved of blame like he always is.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Couple days in and i'm already sick of the "hype" around Tannehill. He has a new knee, guys! Look at that sick knee brace! Surely this is the year he finally takes the next step! Just like 2017, and 16, and 15, and so on.

Probably won't watch another game until they actually get a new QB or something. Tannehill will be absolved of blame like he always is.

At least there's no "look at DeVante Parker!" talk this year. I read recently that reports on him aren't so good this year.

Fool me once... fool me twice... fool me three times...

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Tannehill isn't bad. Just not good enough to overcome a really flawed roster.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

There was hype on Tannehill?
Anyways, I am not sure what to expect from Miami this year..

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I expect their worst season in a long time.

Easily a bottom 5 WR corps, awful front 7, okayish secondary (Fitzpatrick looks like he should be at least a serviceable partner to Jones), meh o-line and a QB who needs the team to elevate him instead of the other way around.

They'll be lucky to win 4 imo. Gase probably gone in the offseason and the cycle of mediocrity continues until they actually decide to go in on a full on rebuild.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

connective tissues do grow stronger with exercise but in elite athletes the amount of muscle mass/ mass is probably too much for them and they might not grow proportionally as big.

and steroids can make connective tissues weaker/reverse the positive effects of exercise on connective tissue growth.

Reactions: What the Faulk

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bears ownership/management is only making reputation worse and pushing more fan disinterest in Chicago with this fight with Smith and his agent

The McCaskey Bears continue to be joke as always

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
god training camp is the worst for the nfl news cycle

just fast forward to september 9th

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
RE: Chargers, Trevor Williams just got hurt too.

Perhaps there's something wrong with the way they medically evaluate players.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The Vikings have a mediocre OL with little to no depth when everyone is healthy so they can't afford to lose anyone. It's the one position they really didn't address in the offseason and it'll probably bite them in the ass once again unless one of the young guys steps up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Are these guys going from 0 to 60 on the first couple days of camp? No easing into it?

You don’t hear nhlers or nba guys going down in he first week of camp like this. Not even pitchers wreck heir shoulders and elbows at the rates nfl guys go down in camp.
You don't hear about it in college, and they're doing full practices and spring games.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
And how many schools have NFL-level facilities? Most of the major ones. But a lot who don't.

Saints signed Michael Floyd today.

One of the issues is that players are forbidden from using team facilities in the off-season in the NFL unless they are rehabbing an injury.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Its also possible some of these players don't take seriously keeping in shape during offseason and assume they can just go into camp and get in game shape quickly

Thru years there have certainly been plenty of players coming into camp out of shape

Yet here we are with people blaming NFL teams for something that is likely more on players then anything else

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Do you do any research before blaming players? They work out together in the off-season. There are specific training academies for different positions that players use. Players rarely come in out of shape anymore. The ones that do aren't in the league very long.

Reactions: m9

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Several do come in out of shape every year to pretend all players take fitness seriously and come in game shape is as usual a laughable take

Do you have research to blame owners and management for player injuries?

Its never players fault for anything and is always some owner or management or coach , etc , etc fault but player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad