2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
probably not for another two years, but it's not out of line if you consider past oilers trades of their top ten draft picks in their early 20s.
If you compare who those draft picks are and their presumed value, it's way, way out of line. The argument you are making casually suggests that Puljujarvi's value now is comparable to the values of Paajarvi and Yakupov when they were traded. This is obviously not true.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If you compare who those draft picks are and their presumed value, it's way, way out of line. The argument you are making casually suggests that Puljujarvi's value now is comparable to the values of Paajarvi and Yakupov when they were traded. This is obviously not true.

no. the statement i am making is that in a couple of years he may fetch what other top ten oilers have fetched.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
no. the statement i am making is that in a couple of years he may fetch what other top ten oilers have fetched.
Well, if he's terrible for the next two years and doesn't develop his game in any meaningful way, and that's his perceived value, then yes.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If at the deadline VGK made a pitch for Gudbranson, what would be the appropriate return? The 1st is out of the question, of course, and Glass isn't going anywhere. I don't think he pulls Brannstrom, but is Hague possible? Anybody else?

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If at the deadline VGK made a pitch for Gudbranson, what would be the appropriate return? The 1st is out of the question, of course, and Glass isn't going anywhere. I don't think he pulls Brannstrom, but is Hague possible? Anybody else?
I'll take a 7th

Reactions: THE Green Man

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium

Would you give Hague for RealGud?

Just hope we don't have to give something to get rid of him

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Literally anything at all. Them taking his contract is enough.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
As long as he is playing half a--good,managment will think he is a norris trophy candidate.They will not trade him.I would be totally shocked if they did.Delzotto is the first out the door before any of them.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I would really like to see the Canucks acquire William Nylander to play with Petterson. We would value him as a winger, though a damn good one. Couple questions. First, what could we realistically offer Toronto to make them bite? If Tanev was healthy, perhaps he and Jake? The Leafs will want assets that can help them in the next 2-3 years and will fit within their tightening cap. Second, if we agree to sign Nylander to a seven year contract at $8 million, what will that mean for our own cap in a couple of years when it's time to pay Elias the superstar money to which he will be entitled?

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I would really like to see the Canucks acquire William Nylander to play with Petterson. We would value him as a winger, though a damn good one. Couple questions. First, what could we realistically offer Toronto to make them bite? If Tanev was healthy, perhaps he and Jake? The Leafs will want assets that can help them in the next 2-3 years and will fit within their tightening cap. Second, if we agree to sign Nylander to a seven year contract at $8 million, what will that mean for our own cap in a couple of years when it's time to pay Elias the superstar money to which he will be entitled?
I would not take that gamble on Nylander at that crazy money or term.Let Toronto keep him and enjoy there cap issues for long term.This team dont need another anchor contract,,

Reactions: THE Green Man

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I would not take that gamble on Nylander at that crazy money or term.Let Toronto keep him and enjoy there cap issues for long term.This team dont need another anchor contract,,
What is it, only $2 million more than Loui Eriksson? Nylander would be an excellent addition to our top 6. He is young and skilled enough so that he would likely not be an anchor contract. I like Benning's drafting overall but his free agent deals have really hamstrung our ability to pay for complimentary high-end talent.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

You don't have to trade them anything. Just sign him to that contract and give up 1+2+3

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
You don't have to trade them anything. Just sign him to that contract and give up 1+2+3
No thanks! The Canucks are playing well right now but I don't believe it is sustainable. The year we lose our first round draft pick is the year we "win" the lottery. I would love Nylander on this team but not at the expense of Jack Hughes. Furthermore, Petterson may turn into a superstar. I would rather avoid retaliatory offer sheets...

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'll take a 7th

Would you give Hague for RealGud?

Just hope we don't have to give something to get rid of him

Literally anything at all. Them taking his contract is enough.

I should rephrase: For someone like Benning, who must think Gudbranson is worth something decent, what would it take from VGK to get him to trade Gudbranson? I know most board posters would take a 7th/garbage prospect just to be rid of the contract. What would Benning need?

As long as he is playing half a--good,managment will think he is a norris trophy candidate.They will not trade him.I would be totally shocked if they did.Delzotto is the first out the door before any of them.

Del Zotto is gone for sure at the deadline. Possibly Edler. Odds are, they do not trade Gudbranson this season, I know. Hypothetically though, if he was to move and he is playing the same as he is now, what would he garner?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
No thanks! The Canucks are playing well right now but I don't believe it is sustainable. The year we lose our first round draft pick is the year we "win" the lottery. I would love Nylander on this team but not at the expense of Jack Hughes. Furthermore, Petterson may turn into a superstar. I would rather avoid retaliatory offer sheets...

VS what Toronto would want in a trade? It's a no brainer to me.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
There’s just no way we trade Virtanen, especially in a package for a guy we passed on to draft Virtanen. I don’t see Jim trading Tanev, so in any package for Nylander, assuming they’d want win now pieces, maybe Baertschi, Gudbranson and a high pick, but I don’t see Toronto accepting anything close to that.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I should rephrase: For someone like Benning, who must think Gudbranson is worth something decent, what would it take from VGK to get him to trade Gudbranson? I know most board posters would take a 7th/garbage prospect just to be rid of the contract. What would Benning need?

Del Zotto is gone for sure at the deadline. Possibly Edler. Odds are, they do not trade Gudbranson this season, I know. Hypothetically though, if he was to move and he is playing the same as he is now, what would he garner?
Nothing. There is nothing Benning could be offered that he would take. He's stubborn.

I believe Botchford and the other various insiders who suggested Gudbranson held value around the league and that there were good offers for him at the TDL. If Benning said no then and doubled down, he is not going back on it now.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Nothing. There is nothing Benning could be offered that he would take. He's stubborn.

I believe Botchford and the other various insiders who suggested Gudbranson held value around the league and that there were good offers for him at the TDL. If Benning said no then and doubled down, he is not going back on it now.

He did all but trade Gudbranson for Demers, lest we forget.

Re-signing Gudbranson is effectively about kicking the ball further down the path. Benning couldn't find a trade he liked, so he lengthened the timeline. Now he has another chance to deal EG. I think it's still in the cards.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Does Garrett count as our roster? We need a highlight reel for John "put some ketchup on it" "yes" "I know that white spot" Garrett for when he retires. Not sure how one could go about finding announcer clips though :(

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I have a very very big feeling, that Benning will trade Gaudette this season unexpectedly for a similarly ranked young right handed defenseman. For example 1 for 1 with Liljegren/Foote (EXAMPLE)

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Pettersson

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
I have a very very big feeling, that Benning will trade Gaudette this season unexpectedly for a similarly ranked young right handed defenseman. For example 1 for 1 with Makar(EXAMPLE)
Lol at makar being an example of a similarly ranked prospect as Gaudette

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Appropriate or realistic?

Appropriate is like a 4th at most, and that's pushing it given his cap hit.

Realistic is much more because he has value to bad GMs. He would fetch whatever a #4 D would get.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
I have a very very big feeling, that Benning will trade Gaudette this season unexpectedly for a similarly ranked young right handed defenseman. For example 1 for 1 with Makar(EXAMPLE)

Gaudette's usage seems strange. Is Schaller really a much better option than him right now?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Gaudette's usage seems strange. Is Schaller really a much better option than him right now?

From a development perspective it may not be ideal to have him in an almost purely defensive role, but to me Gaudette's usage seems exactly what one would expect.

He's a rookie center. He didn't make the team in the preseason, he has 1 assist in 14 career NHL games (5 to close off last season after Northeastern's season was over) and is pretty clearly there to fill in due to injuries to the two defensive zone centermen on the Canucks. That's why they brought him up and that's what he's doing.

I don't see how Schaller is relevant to Gaudette's usage. Schaller is a winger. It isn't at all unreasonable to think that with injuries to the 3rd and 4th line centers Gaudette, the Utica callup, can do most good for the team as a 4th line center.

I hope (some might say unrealistically) to see Gaudette back in Utica, getting more ice time in offensive situations so as to get balanced development while providing an upgrade on the current Comet centers which would be good for the young wing prospects on the Comets. It would be nice to see him make the Canucks next season, though for ice time he'd likely need to wait for injuries or beat out Beagle, he of the four year, $3.2 mm per season contract that is almost entirely buyout-proof.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

McPhee seems to like paying hefty prices for meh veterans, so I think we could actually get something decent back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad