2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dallas signs Stephen Johns 3 years x 2.35MM per year.

Gudbranson gets $4MM x 3 and is the same player/age/stats Johns is, if not a bit worse. Johns 2.35, McNabb 2.5. That's the market price for a 3rd pairing guy.

Yup. Johns and McNabb are both better players (and more durable, which shouldn't be discounted) than Gudbranson and making barely over half as much.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So...3 D, a goalie, a center and a RW, none of who me are playing with us next year (not the point of a drafted player, I'm just stating).

We have Granlund, our AHL goalie and Boucher, as a call up, all back.

What are we missing?

Virtanen, Baertschi, Pouliot and Stetcher should all be qualified, and the rest are likely AHL guys.

RHD? A top six winger? Some manor of center?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Johns was my ideal target from Dallas at the Hamhuis trade deadline. If we got it done, we could have avoided the whole Gudbranson trade and contract. Crazy that Benning still has a job after that stretch.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This may be the year that Benning stock piles draft picks. I bet he's targeting at least 10 picks for the Vancouver '19 draft. He already has 8 but needs more in round 2-4. If Hughes and Juolevi are ready to play, there is a logjam of LD, some of which become expendable. I would already say Hughes and Juolevi are both upgrades on Hutton and Pouliot. Del Zotto is a place holder until one of the younger guys shows he can step in. They might need to wait til the trade deadline to get the best value but I can see Hutton, Pouliot, and Del Zotto bringing back picks. And, depending on how things play out with Tanev, they could get a 1st.

Edit: just read in the other thread that Hughes can play right side...not sure if this is true but...

I'm not really bothered if Pouliot leaves but I would like for them to give Hutton a good shot at being a regular player. Despite suggesting Tanev and Hutton could be traded for picks, I still think it could be valuable having Tanev around for a couple of more years to mentor Hughes, Stecher, and Hutton.

18/19
Edler/Stecher
Del Zotto/Hughes
Hutton/Tanev
Pouliot/Biega
With Juolevi slotting in based on injuries and performance

19/20
Edler/Hughes
Juolevi/Tanev
Hutton/Stecher
Pouliot/Biega

20/21
Hughes/Tanev
Juolevi/Stecher
Hutton/Woo (still a long shot but who knows?)
Pouliot (he will probably be gone by then)

Last edited:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Pettersson / xxx / Boeser
Baertschi / Horvat / Dahlen?
Leipsic / Sutter / Virtanen
Gaunce / Kerro / Eriksson
Granlund

Edler / Stetcher
Juolevi / Tanev
MDZ / Gudbranson (yuck)

markstrom
demko/nilsson

my best guess

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This may be the year that Benning stock piles draft picks. I bet he's targeting at least 10 picks for the Vancouver '19 draft. He already has 8 but needs more in round 2-4. If Hughes and Juolevi are ready to play, there is a logjam of LD, some of which become expendable. I would already say Hughes and Juolevi are both upgrades on Hutton and Pouliot. Del Zotto is a place holder until one of the younger guys shows he can step in. They might need to wait til the trade deadline to get the best value but I can see Hutton, Pouliot, and Del Zotto bringing back picks. And, depending on how things play out with Tanev, they could get a 1st.

Edit: just read in the other thread that Hughes can play right side...not sure if this is true but...

I'm not really bothered if Pouliot leaves but I would like for them to give Hutton a good shot at being a regular player. Despite suggesting Tanev and Hutton could be traded for picks, I still think it could be valuable having Tanev around for a couple of more years to mentor Hughes, Stecher, and Hutton.

18/19
Edler/Stecher
Del Zotto/Hughes
Hutton/Tanev
Pouliot/Biega
With Juolevi slotting in based on injuries and performance

19/20
Edler/Hughes
Juolevi/Tanev
Hutton/Stecher
Pouliot/Biega

20/21
Hughes/Tanev
Juolevi/Stecher
Hutton/Woo (still a long shot but who knows?)
Pouliot (he will probably be gone by then)
Good post,..The guy I think that could become expendable is Stecher..He probably has more trade value than Hutton and Pouliot,and is still relatively young..With Hughes in (assuming he makes the team),the Canucks will definitely need a variance of D...Juolevi,Hughes,Pouliot,Stecher are all non physical type players.

Agreed they should hang on to Tanev.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Good post,..The guy I think that could become expendable is Stecher..He probably has more trade value than Hutton and Pouliot,and is still relatively young..With Hughes in (assuming he makes the team),the Canucks will definitely need a variance of D...Juolevi,Hughes,Pouliot,Stecher are all non physical type players.

Agreed they should hang on to Tanev.
Stecher is definitely a chip that could bring back a decent asset. And I completely forgot about Gudbranson. I don't mind him on the bottom pairing but I also don't necessarily want him paired with one of the younger guys, Hutton, Hughes or Juolevi. So, I'm not sure where he fits?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
From a development standpoint

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leipsic-Gaudette-Pettersson
Eriksson-Sutter-Gaunce
Granlund/Gagner/Virtanen/Goldobin/Kerro

Edler/Stecher
Hughes/Tanev
MDZ/Gudbranson/Biega

Markstrom/Nilsson

Second line gets Sedin deployment, third gets shut down duty, first gets all around and 4th gets that Gagner in CBJ deployment where him and Virt should be able to chip in some offence in limited minutes

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Don't worry, Tyler Bozak is going to steal all of Gaudette's opportunities in the name of "insulating the youth" and "learning to win"

I would be opposed to bringing in a guy like Bozak since he’ll demand far more than one year.

Having said that, I would NOT be opposed to bringing in a veteran center that could fill in for one year while allowing Gaudette to get his feet wet. I want Gaudette to become good enough to play 2nd line C as much as the next guy, but you can’t just throw him in there and force him to sink or swim. Develop Gaudette in the same way that Horvat was developed.

I was originally interested in having Gagner fill the role of 2nd line C, but I’m not sure if it would be in the team’s best interests.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Not if we get Ryan O’Reilly.

Speaking of which, I am interested in knowing what a fair deal for both teams would look like?

Sorry, you think adding Ryan O'Reilly (for God knows what) to a roster that finished bottom five last year and lost its two leading scorers is going to get them into the playoffs?

You post some outlandish stuff (Benning as a top-5 GM was a personal favourite), but that one's definitely up there.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Sorry, you think adding Ryan O'Reilly (for God knows what) to a roster that finished bottom five last year and lost its two leading scorers is going to get them into the playoffs?

You post some outlandish stuff (Benning as a top-5 GM was a personal favourite), but that one's definitely up there.

I think having O’Reilly in that 2nd line spot would allow Pettersson to play on the wing, while also allowing Pettersson to play with a pretty solid and established player. I think that would make a huge difference in his development.

By bringing in O’Reilly, you don’t have to force Pettersson into being a center right away, OR having Pettersson playing with a center that isn’t that good (Gagner/Sutter) or is too green (Gaudette).

My main point is that I’d like to see the Canucks have an active presence in the UFA/PTO market, along with making key trades.

Don’t sacrifice the future, but make a solid push for the playoffs to motivate the boys.

As Carolina, Philadelphia, and New Jersey did over the past few years, maybe you get lucky with the lottery even if you just barely miss the playoffs.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

He is opposed to Bozak for cap space but for ROR which would take assets plus eating lots of cap. So, yeah..

Reactions: timw33

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Leipsic*1------------Horvat--------------Boeser
Eriksson------------Sutter--------------Virtanen
Baertschi---------Granlund*2---------Pettersson
Gaunce------------Gaudette*3-----------Goldobin*4

Edler-----------Gudbranson
Hutton---------Tanev
Del Zotto*5---- Pouliot*6

Markstrom
Nilsson*7

Bench: Gagner, Stecher, Biega

Utica call ups: Demko, Dahlen, Juolevi, Motte, Sautner, Archibald, Boucher, Kero

*1- position is platooned between Leipsic and Goldobin to try and take and run with
*2- position is platooned between Granlund Gagner and Pettersson although it would not suprise me to see Bozak here. If so i hope it is 2yrs max preference being 1.
*3- possible that Gaudette needs AHL time and Gagner Granlund play in this spot or Gaunce.
*4- basically the spot of the last regular which will have some variables( injuries and game time decisions)
*5- Del Zotto gets traded at deadline or sooner for a draft pick
*6- same as final forward spot

Quinn Hughes back to Michigan for the year wins National Championship with his brother who we draft here in Vancouver next June.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't think there is a Jonathan Marchessault in this year's UFA class (will still be interested in seeing if any undervalued players don't get qualified), but as of today here is my list of UFA targets:

1) Derek Ryan (C) - maximum 2 years, maximum $3.5M AAV

2) Matthew Peca (C) - maximum 1 year, maximum $900k AAV

3) Antoine Roussell (LW) - maximum 1 year, maximum $2.5M AAV

4) Paul Postma - maximum 1 year, maximum $900k AAV

5) Ryan Sproul - maximum 1 year, maximum $900k AAV

Mostly depth signings. Derek Ryan brought in here to be our 2C. Antoine Roussell brought in to be a middle 6 LWer. Not someone who's going to light it up but a good puck possession winger who can hopefully perform well enough to return a pick at the deadline.

Peca is one of those signings where you hope he can break out if put in a better role. Postma and Sproul are more for AHL depth, who can play if called up.

I may add to this list as others become available.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
No matter how the lines get configured next year I think we're going to be horrible. For me the most interesting lineup includes putting Pettersson at LW with Horvat and Boeser.

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Granlund?-Goldobin
Gaunce-Sutter-Eriksson
Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen
Gagner

Edler-Stetcher
Hutton-Tanev
Del Zotto-Gudbranson
Pouliot, Biega

Still two top six forwards and two top 4 defensemen away from being respectable but I like the first, 3rd (checking), and 4th (energy) lines a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad