2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A player I think we should maybe look at targeting is Niedereitter?

He's struggling right now (so perceived value is lower) but he's historically a shot share playdriver and someone good for ~20 goals. He's good insulation for some of our younger forwards. And with Baertschi out for a while, Bo could use some help on his wings lord knows.

Nino is a good long-term add too. He's young enough to fit the future and can be plugged on a line with any of EP, Bo, Gaudette, Hughes/Kakko :sarcasm: to help them defensively.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

He's struggling right now (so perceived value is lower) but he's historically a shot share playdriver and someone good for ~20 goals. He's good insulation for some of our younger forwards. And with Baertschi out for a while, Bo could use some help on his wings lord knows.

Nino is a good long-term add too. He's young enough to fit the future and can be plugged on a line with any of EP, Bo, Gaudette, Hughes/Kakko :sarcasm: to help them defensively.
Who would you give up for him though? What does Minny need?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Who would you give up for him though? What does Minny need?

In the summer there was a lot of talk about Fenton wanting to "shake things up" so maybe they'd do some kind of lateral swap. I'd be willing to add picks too (I'm drunk off the EP stardust).

Nothing specific in mind with respect to Nino, but we should be looking at guys who are undervalued right now, who have a high likelihood of bouncing back.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
I’m not sure you comprehend what An example means. A young right handed dman like Makar, but lesser value so equal to Gaudette? Understand?
Maybe we should trade Hutton for a young rw with similar value (example: andrei svechnikov) see how dumb that looks?

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
I have a very very big feeling, that Benning will trade Gaudette this season unexpectedly for a similarly ranked young right handed defenseman. For example 1 for 1 with Makar(EXAMPLE)
Hard to even gauge where is value is at.

what kind of RD are similar value to him? maybe one of Bowey, Roy, honka? can't really think of many off the top of my head.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Appropriate or realistic?

Appropriate is like a 4th at most, and that's pushing it given his cap hit.

Realistic is much more because he has value to bad GMs. He would fetch whatever a #4 D would get.

What does a top4 defensive RHD fetch (non-Larsson/Hall trade)? A 1st + prospect? 3 pieces?

I don't see VGK offering up their 1st for EG. Further, I think Benning would be inclined to pick up a good prospect over a good pick. And so, I'm thinking Brannstrom could be a target from VGK. McPhee traded Suzuki in the Pacioretty deal. I wouldn't put it past him to deal his 1st (2nd is already traded) and/or Brannstrom to make a run this year.

What does MIN need? They seem good on defence and have depth up front...?

McPhee seems to like paying hefty prices for meh veterans, so I think we could actually get something decent back.

They have Engelland as their #4 RHD... There's an opportunity for a trade there.

McPhee hasn't had the time to stockpile futures the way other teams have. I see the 1st, Hague and maybe Brannstrom as trade chips. Should be interesting.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
At this point, pending further injuries, and the natural ebb and flow of player and team performance, I would project that the Canucks are going to be a bubble playoff team - fighting for a wildcard slot in the last weeks of the season. Yes they are 2nd in the Pacific division right now, and the division is comparably weak, but early standing are deceptive. San Jose and Edmonton are only 1 point behind with 1 and 2 fewer games played respectively. Also you have to think that at least San Jose and Vegas get it together at some point - I'm not sure if LA and Anaheim are built for the speed of the NHL in 2018. Arizona is sort of stuck in the middle.

The start has been remarkable - but play is loose early in the season and goals will become harder to come by in the dark days of January - February. That said - if the team gets healthy - returns Edler, Tanev, Sutter, Beagle and Baertschi, they have the bodies to play a lot more structured to win games 2-1 or 1-0. With the current D, they have to score 3+ most nights. But I still think pecking order of the division will sort itself out by December.

I don't think either Edler or Tanev will be traded. I'm sure Benning would like to trade Edler, but all indications are that he will not waive his NTC. It has been reported (edit - it was Dahliwal) that Benning wants Tanev to play with Hughes going forward, so Tanev will probably not be moved.

So if there is to be a move at the deadline it will have to be a "hockey trade" as the Canucks will likely not be totally out of the playoff picture. Even though Hutton is playing much better right now, if the rest of the D are healthy, Hutton could be moved. If he continues his much improved play, it would be selling high - something Benning has not been inclined to do. Del Zotto is the other defender who should be trade bait as teams are always looking for defensive depth at the deadline. The other option would be Gudbransson, but his contract is a bit of an albatross. There is also a chance they could move Gagner for something - but not much. I don't think anyone should get their hopes up for a big move at the deadline, and certainly not one that returns draft picks as Benning doesn't do that. Maybe an under 25 scoring winger or a more physical, D.

I think there is a very good chance that Quinn Hughes signs with the Canucks after his NCAA season - depending on playoffs and timing and finishes the season playing in Vancouver. It is also likely that Olli Juolevi is called up for a run of games this season.

So given a bubble, wildcard or less finish, we will be drafting somewhere between 10 and 20. You can get quality players in that range, but no one who will have an immediate impact. The biggest impact in 2019-20 will be Quinn Hughes and the on-going development of Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat. I also expect Dahlen and Gaudette to challenge to make the team in training camp.

So given that state of the team, how would I handle the off season?

1. Draft - just draft the best player available this year. While the team could use a true power forward and a mobile, physical defender, anyone drafted where I project we will be picking is not going to be an NHL player for a couple of years. So BPA.
  2. Canucks RFAs and UFAs - Granlund (RFA), Motte (RFA), Boeser (RFA), Goldobin (RFA), Gaunce (RFA), Archibald (UFA), Leipsic (RFA), Edler (UFA), Del Zotto (UFA), Hutton (RFA), Pouliot (RFA), Nillson (UFA). I think you cut bait with Archibald, Leipsic, Pouliot and probably Del Zotto. Even though he is signed, I don't see Gagner in the picture going forward. Gaunce is cheap depth who will likely clear waivers. The jury is still out on Nilsson.

Granlund would be tough decision. He's a decent utility player who can play C or either Wing and any line if needed. I certainly prefer him to Eriksson, but we are stuck with Louie the X (goals). The development of Gaudette will probably be a factor. If Gaudette can be a utility guy who can play C or W at 12+ minutes per game, PK, defend and chip in with secondary scoring, he will make Granlund expendable. The health of Baertschi and development of Dahlen will also factor in. If Beartschi can only play 40 - 50 healthy games per season and score at a 0.5 PPG in those games, I would certainly prefer Granlund on Horvat's wing than Eriksson. Or maybe you just address that need in the UFA market.

Del Zotto is also a question mark. He certainly brings a physical presence in a medium sized package. Him and Gudbransson are really the only D who hit consistently. It's too bad he doesn't read the game well enough to be a shutdown defender. I think it best to try to move MDZ at the trade deadline.

3. UFA/RFA market - I'm tempted to say avoid the UFA market because Benning likes to sign plumbers to 4+ year contracts. But if we can clear out some of the dead wood from earlier summer sprees, the team could really use a scoring winger and a mobile, physical 2nd paring D to complement Juolevi and Hughes.
I think the biggest move of the off season would be to sit down with Loui Eriksson and explain to him that he is going to get waived and sent down to Utica in October 2019. So unless he is keen on riding the bus from Utica to Syracuse, Rochester, Hershey, Portland, etc. and sitting in the press box many nights due to the AHL veteran rule, he should consider collecting his July 1 signing bonus of $4M and just retire. Or maybe manufacture a career ending injury and spend the next few years on Robidas Island.

The one thing we also have to be cognizant of going forward is that we have a pending cap liability in the form or Luongo's salary cap recapture penalty. Basically, if Luongo retires after this season (unlikely unless he is injured again) the cap penalty is $2.8M for 3 years. If he retires after the 2019-20 season it is $4.2M for 2 years and if he retires following the 2020-21 season it's $8.5M for 1 year. Of course there is always the chance that rather than allowing him to retire in Florida (where he wants to be) we could trade to acquire him as either a backup (to Demko?) or put him on IR for 1 or 2 seasons. Unfortunately the years of Luongo's cap penalty also line up with the bridge / second contracts for Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes (if we burn a year off his ELC). This period also line up the the most likely contract term for any summer UFA contract.

And while on the subject of longer term considerations - Seattle expansion draft?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo and DFAC

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
We’ve pretty much drafted a future cup winning core:

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen

Hughes
Juolevi
Stetcher
Hutton

Demko

You hope Dahlen, Lind, Woo, Dipietro, Gadjovich, etc can pan out.

We really need more defense though. IF we didn’t have 22 million tied up in Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Gudbranson, Roussel etc, we could make a huge splash in FA going after guys like Panarin and Myers etc. Going to be interesting to see what this management does as they’re not the greatest at pro scouting...

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Hughes
Juolevi
Stetcher
Hutton

Demko

We really need more defense though. IF we didn’t have 22 million tied up in Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Gudbranson, Roussel etc, we could make a huge splash in FA going after guys like Panarin and Myers etc. Going to be interesting to see what this management does as they’re not the greatest at pro scouting...
It's why, even with the success of Boeser and Pettersson, and an improved prospect pool, I still want Benning and Co. gone. I don't trust them to build a good team around these talents we have here.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

Hughes
Juolevi
Stetcher
Hutton

Demko

I don't think those contracts will be much of a hindrance. The team will have a bunch of cap space heading into this off-season (I'm estimating something like 15-18 million after re-signing all of our guys, a Boeser extension, and not bringing back Edler) and more money coming off the books in subsequent seasons. There are a few needs on this team right now, but I see it as a good thing that we don't have all of this cap space at once. The team's not ready to contend yet and I think it would be foolish to accelerate that process by filling all of those holes in FA when the priority should still be to develop your young players/prospects.

For this off-season, adding a top-6 winger to play with Horvat would be nice. Silfverberg would be a great addition as a solid 2-way top-6 forward. If we could get Myers, that would be great, but I expect competition for his services to be pretty fierce. Another season of the Guds, I guess ;)

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
It's why, even with the success of Boeser and Pettersson, and an improved prospect pool, I still want Benning and Co. gone. I don't trust them to build a good team around these talents we have here.
Exactly. This management was decent at assembling young talent. Getting management that can build around a core and youth (like Gillis did a phenomenal job of) would be perfect. Our scouting staff now is what’s good. I’d have no problem keeping Benning apart of that.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Hughes
Juolevi
Stetcher
Hutton

Demko

That core is not good enough. First, Hutton and Stecher as core players is a stretch. Next, Demko struggled when up here. Juolevi has had mixed reviews in the AHL, and Virtanen is a bottom6er it seems.

This club is at least 2 core players away from really competing for anything meaningful. They have about 4 high end projections: Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat and Hughes. Beyond them, a lot of work still needs to be done.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
This summer if Panarin doesn't get signed i'd be throwing the chequebook out for him. Add in a bottom 5 finish as well and our top 6 is looking sooooooo sexy.

Goldobin-Pettersson-Panarin
18'Pick-Horvat-Boeser

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad