2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Based upon Benning's interview on SN650 today, I highly suspect that he's going after Karlsson this offseason. A right shot PPQB has been reiterated as his major 'want'. It's been that way for years. Karlsson is his shot at getting one without giving up assets.

Oh, absolutely. He and the owner are like two moron casual fans who get excited about every star player or former high draft pick who becomes available and then are terribly confused when those players won't sign for their crap team.

I expect we'll be all-in on Karlsson and Duchene (Karlsson is never, ever signing here) but will have no interest in the better and more signable Mark Stone because he doesn't have the pedigree or star power or high draft position.

Reactions: timw33

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Oh, absolutely. He and the owner are like two moron casual fans who get excited about every star player or former high draft pick who becomes available and then are terribly confused when those players won't sign for their crap team.

I expect we'll be all-in on Karlsson and Duchene (Karlsson is never, ever signing here) but will have no interest in the better and more signable Mark Stone because he doesn't have the pedigree or star power or high draft position.

I too think that Karlsson will go elsewhere.

You think they're going after Duchene? I'm not sure they give big money to another centre. They may even be drafting a centre like Turcotte, Dach or Suzuki if they finish low enough. Wing seems to be a more pressing position. Unless you're saying that's where Duchene would play here?

Where do you see Stone going?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I too think that Karlsson will go elsewhere.

You think they're going after Duchene? I'm not sure they give big money to another centre. They may even be drafting a centre like Turcotte, Dach or Suzuki if they finish low enough. Wing seems to be a more pressing position. Unless you're saying that's where Duchene would play here?

Where do you see Stone going?

Duchene has played a bunch of wing in his career (his one 30-goal season was largely there) and also I don't think these guys really plan things very much. They're like stupid small children who see a toy they like and want it.

I expect Karlsson, Stone, and Duchene will all end up where every major free agent ends up - California or an eastern seaboard US team. Or maybe Vegas now.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Assuming that Stone and Karlsson want nothing to do with another struggling ... club ...

It probably doesn't make sense for me to choose a response to this post to make this point as I've made a similar point many times and agree with your point as it pertains to Stone and Karlsson.

Otoh, it's perhaps time to state that imo for some players the apparent emergence of EP40 may make Vancouver a less undesirable place to sign than would otherwise be the case.

Even if it just means the Canucks move up a few places on a player's list while still not being high it could make some difference in that the number of teams that have to be outbid is lower.

It also may mean for some players giving a small no-trade list on a modified ntc that Vancouver isn't on the list when it might otherwise be. Even if a player isn't keen on the Canucks otherwise, if having EP40 moves the Canucks off a 5 or 8 team no trade list it could make a difference. It probably won't matter but there's always the chance.

Otoh, I really hope it doesn't change things much at present because I don't think big name mid to late career free agents are the right way to build a team for the future.

Last edited:

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Duchene has played a bunch of wing in his career (his one 30-goal season was largely there) and also I don't think these guys really plan things very much. They're like stupid small children who see a toy they like and want it.

I expect Karlsson, Stone, and Duchene will all end up where every major free agent ends up - California or an eastern seaboard US team. Or maybe Vegas now.

That could be a good thing for the Canucks. As much as I like a guy like Stone on the team, it might be way too early to make a big signing like this. He would likely propel the team to the playoffs next season, but at the end of the day, this team doesn't go anywhere until Demko, Hughes and another forward prospect (looking like maybe Dahlen at this point) all develop into core players. That's at the very least. I'm guessing it'll be another 3 seasons before we really contend for the cup, so there's really no need to make a big signing right now.

Just do enough to get this team to the playoffs without having to saddle the team with any more large UFA contracts and when the time is ready, then you can make a big splash to fill a glaring need.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
If we get a top 5 pick, I'd go after Stone/Panarin. If we pick any later, I would hold off and tank another year or two. Still need some more good assets. Still a surefire top 6 prospect, a top 2 D prospect and a top 4 D prospect imo away from anything resembling a future contender.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
As long as the contract is reasonable and the player still holds value in relation to it i fail to see why we wouldn't want to sign any player that adds a core piece to our lineup. The key to is that in 2-5yrs this is still a supremely valuable player which would proclude players born before the 90s.

Mark Stone would be an excellent add to Bo Horvat's RW

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Mark Stone would be a great addition, but like Karlsson he's going to have a long list of potential suitors. I like the idea of targeting some players that sort of fall by the wayside on shorter term deals.

Reactions: THE Green Man

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i'd rather spend ufa money on a good durable top 2 way 4 dman. unless you sign them for their offence, it's a lower risk move and it takes forever to develop them. i also think that good veteran dmen have a bigger mentoring effect on younger d than forwards.

i will be curious if we let edler go the way we let hamhuis go. i think passing on the chance to resign hamhuis was the biggest mistake benning has made, so i am curious whether letting edler walk may be similar.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Stone would be a great fit on EP's wing.

Getting Mark Stone in any way would be an insane coup for this franchise. His two-way game is chronically underrated and would immediately give us the ability to field two legitimate scoring lines (just need to round the lines out with LWs which is currently a dire situation for us).

But again, my main concern, even if we were to pull off the extremely improbable task of signing a 1st line 27 year old UFA, is that we'll still be several crucial components away from being a contender. Playoffs, sure, but probably a weird bubble wildcard/1st round exit team.

If Edler is not brought back, we are short 3 top-4 dmen. Markstrom has continued his career trend of being an inconsistent but talented goaltender who doesn't seem to handle the mental side of the game well. Demko and DiPietro are not even close to being sure things and should not be counted on until one shows us they are ready. As mentioned before, LW is a mess and Baertschi/Goldobin/Eriksson should not be part of the long term future for this franchise.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
i'd rather spend ufa money on a good durable top 2 way 4 dman. unless you sign them for their offence, it's a lower risk move and it takes forever to develop them. i also think that good veteran dmen have a bigger mentoring effect on younger d than forwards.

i will be curious if we let edler go the way we let hamhuis go. i think passing on the chance to resign hamhuis was the biggest mistake benning has made, so i am curious whether letting edler walk may be similar.
There aren't many options this year without overpaying. EK, Myers, Stralman and then a bunch of bottom pairing guys. We'd probably be looking at RHD only realistically to pair with the other of Hughes or Juolevi.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
At this point I think Mark Stone is a household name and he's definitely going to get a fat contract.

He's also going to be UFA at only 27, further raising his value as you'll likely get at least 4-5 very good seasons out of him on a 7 year contract. Okposo at Age 28 received 7yrs x 6MM 3 seasons ago, and is not even close to a complete player as Stone is. I would expect 7 years x $8MM per (and I would be happy to pay that).

Blueangel1891

Nov 24, 2007
Belgium
He's also going to be UFA at only 27, further raising his value as you'll likely get at least 4-5 very good seasons out of him on a 7 year contract. Okposo at Age 28 received 7yrs x 6MM 3 seasons ago, and is not even close to a complete player as Stone is. I would expect 7 years x $8MM per (and I would be happy to pay that).

There are quite a few decent wingers available also. If we get Stone for that money, it would be quite a coup

Goldobin Petterson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Stone
Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Sign me up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad