NCAA: 2018 Offseason

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The strength coach threw weights at the players. They forced kids to over eat. Tell me...how does this help a team win?

Was he trying to hit the kid with the weights or was he just throwing it in his direction but no chance of hitting him? If he hit him then yes that's crossing the line, if he's just throwing things to show his frustrations but in no way harming anyone that's not as bad. Still kinda stupid but totally different. The overeating story I saw was he made a kid eat candy while others worked out because he wasn't losing weight like they wanted. These kids are all overeating in the off-season, they need them consuming insane calories so they can add muscle and some kids to eat less to lose some weight. If they are harming kids health with their eating and there's proof of such things then I can see some problems with that and changes should be made. These guys need to get these kids to be bigger, stronger and faster than their competition. If they aren't getting 5 star talent then they need to turn their 3 stars into top talent by outworking the more skilled teams. Going back to George O'Leary he took 2 and 3 star kids and turned them into winners and NFL players through these kind of methods.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm concerned you aren't aware of how serious this is at Maryland. It's not just "tough love" to college kids. It's ABUSE.

The article ESPN had wasn't abuse, it was yelling and name calling. I didn't see reports of kids going to the hospital because they were worked too hard. Maryland isn't big enough to cover up abuse allegations which I haven't seen surface. Muschamp isn't the best coach to be defending you but he is calling out these allegations. Muschamp is a similar no nonsense yelling type of coach. To me what I've read is just really tough love but not abuse. Maybe it's just this day and age where you can't be that stern and strict with kids because being mean is a problem all of a sudden.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
While we're talking about Saban, this whole thing he is doing with Alabama Training Days (essentially Hard Knocks for college football) is simply fascinating. It's a chance to pick the brain of a championship coach and see what his culture is like there. Trust me I don't like Alabama (obviously all that winning) but it is honestly refreshing to see a behind the scenes look at how he manages the program, and yeah, he doesn't use a lot of yelling and he's said before his practices are pretty light because they don't want to overwork the kids too hard.

Episode 1 was on ESPN about 5 days ago and I need to get around to watching that sometime.

I haven't watched the video but I can see why his practices could be lighter and easier then some. He has a roster full of 5 star kids, these kids are already super talented and usually in ridiculous physical shape. You still have to coach them up, which he is a master at, but it's much easier to do when your working with the type of kids he is.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Was he trying to hit the kid with the weights or was he just throwing it in his direction but no chance of hitting him? If he hit him then yes that's crossing the line, if he's just throwing things to show his frustrations but in no way harming anyone that's not as bad. Still kinda stupid but totally different. The overeating story I saw was he made a kid eat candy while others worked out because he wasn't losing weight like they wanted. These kids are all overeating in the off-season, they need them consuming insane calories so they can add muscle and some kids to eat less to lose some weight. If they are harming kids health with their eating and there's proof of such things then I can see some problems with that and changes should be made. These guys need to get these kids to be bigger, stronger and faster than their competition. If they aren't getting 5 star talent then they need to turn their 3 stars into top talent by outworking the more skilled teams. Going back to George O'Leary he took 2 and 3 star kids and turned them into winners and NFL players through these kind of methods.

How does throwing weights around motivate players? All those things you mentioned are accomplished by programs without dehumanizing players.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I haven't watched the video but I can see why his practices could be lighter and easier then some. He has a roster full of 5 star kids, these kids are already super talented and usually in ridiculous physical shape. You still have to coach them up, which he is a master at, but it's much easier to do when your working with the type of kids he is.

Actually that's a myth. A big myth.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Actually that's a myth. A big myth.

How is it a big myth? You don't think it's easier to train a 5 star kid who's 6'3 220 than a 3 star who's 6'3 190? It's more likely the guy who's 220 has put in work in the weightroom and should continue to put the work in. The 190 guy might be that size because they haven't put the work in and when it's time to they can't handle what it takes? You also don't become a 5 star because of your measurables you have to have displayed some talent on the field which a 3 star kid might not have. If you're referring to the likelihood of being draft because your a 5 star I understand that part too.

I wasn't comparing football to war. I was comparing kids committing the next 4 or so years of their lives to an institution whether it be the military or a school. Each one is gonna to be trying to mold you into the person they want you to be and they sometimes go about it in hard ways which not everyone is cut out for. Dying isn't what should happen, which it doesn't very often, but kids are free to leave on their own if they want. Not really in the military but there's ways out. These kids are committing to a school who's going to provide them with things most of the other students aren't getting, they just have meet certain requirements laid out by the coaches and all they gotta do is deal with some tough love and yelling.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
You keep mentioning tough love and screaming but leave out everything else. Kevin Wilson was fired for this crap, so was Mark Mangino. Mike Leach was exiled to Washington State after his "tough love" crap at Texas Tech and has been passed over for every job the last few years despite his success at a dead end school. You have trouble understanding what constitues tough love (Tom Herman, Kirby Smart) and garbage (Will Muschamp). Guess which coaches have had more success? Hell Stanford is one of the most physical teams in the country and they run light practices (I've been to them).

Reactions: PanthersPens62
Sep 19, 2008
Basically this press conference is that Maryland is going to hold an independent review to look into the situation. Doesn't sound like Durkin is being fired today. He also placed heavy blame on the training staff and not much on the coaching staff.

TBH I am surprised Durkin isn't already fired by now

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
You can't keep Durkin after this. He will be toxic in recruiting. Maryland has had top 25 classes the last two years.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You keep mentioning tough love and screaming but leave out everything else. Kevin Wilson was fired for this crap, so was Mark Mangino. Mike Leach was exiled to Washington State after his "tough love" crap at Texas Tech and has been passed over for every job the last few years despite his success at a dead end school. You have trouble understanding what constitues tough love (Tom Herman, Kirby Smart) and garbage (Will Muschamp). Guess which coaches have had more success? Hell Stanford is one of the most physical teams in the country and they run light practices (I've been to them).

What's everything else? I don't see reports of players being physically harmed by the coaches. The only thing I saw was the weight throwing by the strength coach who has since been fired. Jim Leavitt had a kid die in practice as well and survived that but once he got physical with a kid he was let go. I'm sure Kansas wishes they still have Mangino, they've been crap ever since he's left. Wilson also took Indiana to a couple of bowls and missed without him last year, what he did wasn't that bad apparently as morally upstanding Urban Meyer hired him at Ohio State. With Leach I think it's more to do with his personality that might clash with an AD. Why is Muschamp garbage while those others aren't? Muschamp is one of the best defensive coaches there is, if he could ever develop a QB his teams would be top 10.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
What's everything else? I don't see reports of players being physically harmed by the coaches. The only thing I saw was the weight throwing by the strength coach who has since been fired. Jim Leavitt had a kid die in practice as well and survived that but once he got physical with a kid he was let go. I'm sure Kansas wishes they still have Mangino, they've been crap ever since he's left. Wilson also took Indiana to a couple of bowls and missed without him last year, what he did wasn't that bad apparently as morally upstanding Urban Meyer hired him at Ohio State. With Leach I think it's more to do with his personality that might clash with an AD. Why is Muschamp garbage while those others aren't? Muschamp is one of the best defensive coaches there is, if he could ever develop a QB his teams would be top 10.

No they wouldn't. He has a QB now and his team is barely top 20. All those coaches lost their job for going beyond being "tough" which is the point that we've been trying to make to you. Durkin losing his job isn't some new precedent.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Well this story continues to become more and more interesting (Guess that would be term to use)

Gotta say though some of these revelations really aren't worthy of being reported. Not sure what rules say on what can or can be sent to you at office but publishing these sex toys/items comes off simply as a personal vendetta rather then actual reporting

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Well this story continues to become more and more interesting (Guess that would be term to use)

Gotta say though some of these revelations really aren't worthy of being reported. Not sure what rules say on what can or can be sent to you at office but publishing these sex toys/items comes off simply as a personal vendetta rather then actual reporting

Different workplaces obviously have different rules but if I had sex toys delivered to my workplace I can't imagine there wouldn't be negative reprecussions if not straight out firing. For a guy working at public education institute I think the standards would be similar if not higher.

But the other revelations all seem like no doubt fireable offenses in any workplace.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00