NCAA: 2018 Offseason

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Even when you are telling the truth, you never look good when you accuse a woman of making up domestic violence charges. It's such a serious offense and you can look like an apologist.

Maybe they just wanted it to go away and didn't want to go after someone who, if she made this all up, needs help.

Why is society okay with woman accusing men every time of abuse but NEVER publicly accusing the women of looking for a payday or ruining a career of a dude. BOTH happen more frequently than you think.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Why is society okay with woman accusing men every time of abuse but NEVER publicly accusing the women of looking for a payday or ruining a career of a dude. BOTH happen more frequently than you think.

Because accusing women of looking for a payday with zero evidence is a great way to encourage them to not say anything. Because in most of these cases the fear these women have and the relationship with their abusive husbands has them beat down so much that their self esteem is basically zero so creating an environment where they now have to face accusations based on nothing is a terrifying proposition for them and quite frankly a disgusting thing for someone to be advocating for.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Why would her mother side against her daughter?

And if this is going to come down to believing between Brett McMurphy or Jeff Snook, I'm taking McMurphy. This is giving me flashbacks to some Penn State fans clinging on to every crackpot that was willing to tell them what they want to hear.

Meyer's issues with Smith date back to Florida. Moral Meyer should have bounced him then or, at the very least, fired him years ago at OSU. He had everything to lose after Florida and the way he snuck out of there.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Because accusing women of looking for a payday with zero evidence is a great way to encourage them to not say anything. Because in most of these cases the fear these women have and the relationship with their abusive husbands has them beat down so much that their self esteem is basically zero so creating an environment where they now have to face accusations based on nothing is a terrifying proposition for them and quite frankly a disgusting thing for someone to be advocating for.

We have a criminal justice system where you have to PROVE guilt. It's the building block of the criminal justice system.

But this one crime is getting to the point of accusations equal guilt.

It's infinitely more important to make sure only guilty people are punished for their actions than it is to believe every accusation made by other citizens or the district attorney.

Sep 19, 2008
Looks like Smith had an "unreported"DUI a few years ago. Urban should be gone

I have a feeling they'll keep him around after this investigation concludes :laugh:

To me, it wouldn't be the RIGHT thing to do but we'll see where OSU values lie. Would they want to keep him around just because he's 73-8? Or would they want to do the right thing. I would lean towards the former. Plus reading on other message boards and social media, his firing is not a slam dunk.

Sep 19, 2008
Also it's pretty much a no brainer that Durkin of MD should be fired. How it's taking so long for him to keep his job escapes me.

Durkin is a lot worse than what Urban did. Someone died. There's a culture of bullying from coaches nonetheless.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Also it's pretty much a no brainer that Durkin of MD should be fired. How it's taking so long for him to keep his job escapes me.

Durkin is a lot worse than what Urban did. Someone died. There's a culture of bullying from coaches nonetheless.

He’s gone. The delay is probably contract related I’d imagine.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Some of these strength and conditioning coaches are psychopaths.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He’s gone. The delay is probably contract related I’d imagine.

Was just watching ESPN & they had a legal expert on explaining it. If they fired him right now they wouldn’t be able to do so without paying him whatever his buyout is as the ESPN story or whatever report out there can’t be used by the school as justification to do so in regards to his contract. They have to do their own independent investigation & with their findings determine whether it can be with cause or not to fire him. So it’s essentially a matter of money as to why isn’t fired at this moment.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why would they fire the Maryland coach before they got the autopsy results so they know how the kid died? UF, FSU, UCF and USF all had a kid die after practice or during a workout and all the coaches survived it. Maybe Spurrier and Bowden because of who they were but George O'Leary and Jim Leavitt weren't either. There's been legal action against all the schools because of the deaths that have been settled. If the kid had a heart defect or some other condition that may have led to the death that wasn't found prior it shouldn't fall on the coaches. There's less practices these days and off season workouts that I don't see how these coaches are even overworking these kids? Most of these instances are because of medical problems, maybe they just need to do better preseason health screenings.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It's not just the kid dying. It's a bunch of other **** too.

The ESPN story I read just pointed out how the staff would yell a lot and say mean things. If you think Maryland is the only school where they belittle a kid or yell at them I don't know what to tell you. These coaches are trying to get these kids in the best shape possible, they already did away with two a days so they are limited in how much they can train them. I'm sure they are pushing them hard just like every other school, they just happened to have 1 of their probably 90 kids fall out. Until an autopsy is done and we know if he had any health problems that were undetected you can't just fire the guy for pushing the kids hard.

I didn't see anything in the story of Durkin or his staff physically harming any players themselves like what Leavitt did to get himself fired. I remember after the Plancher death at UCF their were players who said O'Leary was too hard on them and his approach was too tough. Well he didn't get fired, he said he changed his style a bit but what happened was the kids who couldn't handle it transferred not the coach getting fired. You can't fire the coach because a few kids can't cut it in the weightroom or can't handle some tough love and criticism. That's why they allow kids to transfer, you can't handle how the coaches are you go to a new school, you don't go around firing coaches.

Sep 19, 2008
The ESPN story I read just pointed out how the staff would yell a lot and say mean things. If you think Maryland is the only school where they belittle a kid or yell at them I don't know what to tell you. These coaches are trying to get these kids in the best shape possible, they already did away with two a days so they are limited in how much they can train them. I'm sure they are pushing them hard just like every other school, they just happened to have 1 of their probably 90 kids fall out. Until an autopsy is done and we know if he had any health problems that were undetected you can't just fire the guy for pushing the kids hard.

I didn't see anything in the story of Durkin or his staff physically harming any players themselves like what Leavitt did to get himself fired. I remember after the Plancher death at UCF their were players who said O'Leary was too hard on them and his approach was too tough. Well he didn't get fired, he said he changed his style a bit but what happened was the kids who couldn't handle it transferred not the coach getting fired. You can't fire the coach because a few kids can't cut it in the weightroom or can't handle some tough love and criticism. That's why they allow kids to transfer, you can't handle how the coaches are you go to a new school, you don't go around firing coaches.

It crossed a line from coaching to abuse. Pushing kids far from what they could handle. Essentially bullying them and making them feel uncomfortable. There's tough love and then there's this which far exceeds what humane treatment is.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

The strength coach threw weights at the players. They forced kids to over eat. Tell me...how does this help a team win?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
How a REAL program trains athletes for the next level

That's what is funny is that defenders of "old school coaching" methods probably never experienced that bullshit. Its not yelling players can't handle. Every coach will yell. A good coach picks and chooses when is or isn't the right time to dress a player down. Nick Saban gets after his coaching staff more than his players.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I think a question that needs asking is when do you address the rise in power of the strength coach? They spend more time with the players than any other member of the coaching staff. Usually the first call a new H.C. makes when hired is a strength coach for that reason.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It crossed a line from coaching to abuse. Pushing kids far from what they could handle. Essentially bullying them and making them feel uncomfortable. There's tough love and then there's this which far exceeds what humane treatment is.
Most of this is no different then what the military does. They all taking teenagers and turning them into tough men or women. It's not for everyone and those that can't handle it get weeded out and quit. These kids aren't treated inhumane, they have nice player dorms to live in, access to great weightrooms, they get plenty of perks of being a college athlete. They just have to deal with a few coaches yelling at them and pushing them hard in practice to make them better.

Sep 19, 2008
Most of this is no different then what the military does. They all taking teenagers and turning them into tough men or women. It's not for everyone and those that can't handle it get weeded out and quit. These kids aren't treated inhumane, they have nice player dorms to live in, access to great weightrooms, they get plenty of perks of being a college athlete. They just have to deal with a few coaches yelling at them and pushing them hard in practice to make them better.

I'm concerned you aren't aware of how serious this is at Maryland. It's not just "tough love" to college kids. It's ABUSE.

Sep 19, 2008
While we're talking about Saban, this whole thing he is doing with Alabama Training Days (essentially Hard Knocks for college football) is simply fascinating. It's a chance to pick the brain of a championship coach and see what his culture is like there. Trust me I don't like Alabama (obviously all that winning) but it is honestly refreshing to see a behind the scenes look at how he manages the program, and yeah, he doesn't use a lot of yelling and he's said before his practices are pretty light because they don't want to overwork the kids too hard.

Episode 1 was on ESPN about 5 days ago and I need to get around to watching that sometime.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00