Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Fair. I think Johnson has higher offensive potential. One area where Lindholm kills him, though, is in the dot. I think he's around 55%.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Andre Burakovsky might be the odd man out in Washington. Caps fans on their board are discussing their cap crunch as they come down from the Cup high. If they're keeping Carlson, Beagle's probably out and they'll likely have to make a choice about a cap dump too. They're debating Orpik versus Burakovsky.

I'd like to get Orpik + 31st overall for something and then see if someone falls. If not, flip the pick for someone like Craig Smith, Tyler Johnson, or JT Miller. Or a young D like Rasmus Andersson.

If they elect to dump Burakovsky, he might make a good replacement for Domi if he's out the door. Maybe Burakovsky for Merkley?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted to move Burakovsky first. He had a very disappointing season after signing a $3m RFA deal.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Johnson should be cheaper but Lindholm is a better two-way player. And bigger and younger, of course.

I was shocked when I went to the Lightning board after they were eliminated. The praise for TyJos defensive and all around game in the playoffs (this series and past ones) was all over their roster discussion thread. JT Miller was on the chopping block however. Sounds like TyJo is the motor type player we would want to see in Domi amd could be a great influence, despite thinking he was a one dimential player.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think acquisition cost rank would be:

1. Lindholm - overpay
2. Johnson - fair pay
3. Miller - possible value pick up

That’s also my order of preference unsurprisingly. Though, Tampa may not view Miller as a core piece and might not be too high on him at the moment. Given how anything even resembling a center is massively coveted (see multiple teams in on Sutter of all players), Miller might be the only one we could pick up a price that doesn’t drop all of our jaws through the floor.

Hell, for that reason alone, Sutter might not be all that unappealing. Big, soft, streaky straight line player who’s good poaitionally and doesn’t hurt the team (not unlike Boedker, really) but can knock in a few goals here and there, can PK well, and can win a face off regularly isn’t the worst thing as the spare part/insurance policy on the Domi and Strome line. If he can be had for half the price of Miller, it’s worth considering.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Andre Burakovsky might be the odd man out in Washington. Caps fans on their board are discussing their cap crunch as they come down from the Cup high. If they're keeping Carlson, Beagle's probably out and they'll likely have to make a choice about a cap dump too. They're debating Orpik versus Burakovsky.

I'd like to get Orpik + 31st overall for something and then see if someone falls. If not, flip the pick for someone like Craig Smith, Tyler Johnson, or JT Miller. Or a young D like Rasmus Andersson.

If they elect to dump Burakovsky, he might make a good replacement for Domi if he's out the door. Maybe Burakovsky for Merkley?

Orpik will be 38 yrs old when the season begins. He is an older version or Schenn, with more wear and tear than Hjalmarsson.

Beagle is my choice for RHS - C. I have mentioned him before; he is older than I'd prefer, but can be C insurance and a mentor. Overpay him for 2-3 years. He made $1.75M the past few years. Give him 2yrs @ $2.5M

Jay Beagle wants to win every faceoff. The goal is simple, but the nuances aren’t.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Johnson plays both RW and C. That’s the point. He likely fits on Strome’s wing, if Strome is up to being a real nhl center next year. If Strome isn’t ready next year, he’ll never be. He’s a bust at that point. 100%. Either way, we’d be glad we had TyJo. Whether it be to replace a busted Strome or to be “Not Zack Rinaldo” on the Domi, and Strome line.
I'm fine with what we have to give up, if that story is true, but I don't like his contract. IF Tampa would retain some, then maybe I would be all ears.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Fair. I think Johnson has higher offensive potential. One area where Lindholm kills him, though, is in the dot. I think he's around 55%.
Potential? What you see in Johnson is what you get, for the next couple of years, then his production will probably start to decrease. Lindholm is still young and might increase his point production.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I was shocked when I went to the Lightning board after they were eliminated. The praise for TyJos defensive and all around game in the playoffs (this series and past ones) was all over their roster discussion thread. JT Miller was on the chopping block however. Sounds like TyJo is the motor type player we would want to see in Domi amd could be a great influence, despite thinking he was a one dimential player.
Johnson is a very smart player, and I would love him, except for his contract.

rt

May 13, 2004
Johnson has an excellent contract. It’s locked in at what is a currently pretty cheap price. It’s just going to look better. He’s a career .67 (.97 in the playoffs) and he’s 27. That’s a great contract. It’s a big part of the appeal. It’s in no way a detractor. That’s like saying you love Perlini, but you don’t care for his shot.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wonder what would be needed to get Duchene out if Ottawa once the dumpster fire sale starts?? I wouldn't be anywhere near what they paid for him but he could make our center position a lot better of he could be acquired on the relatively cheap??

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Wonder what would be needed to get Duchene out if Ottawa once the dumpster fire sale starts?? I wouldn't be anywhere near what they paid for him but he could make our center position a lot better of he could be acquired on the relatively cheap??

I get the strong sense from Ottawa's management that they aren't the type to like to be burned twice, or kicked while they're down. They gave up a lot to acquire Duchene, if they flip him for a lesser package not even a year or so later, might as well just send it in and prepare for the pitchforks

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I get the strong sense from Ottawa's management that they aren't the type to like to be burned twice, or kicked while they're down. They gave up a lot to acquire Duchene, if they flip him for a lesser package not even a year or so later, might as well just send it in and prepare for the pitchforks
That might change with a new owner!!! Clean slate time with picks and prospects. No way he is going to re-up in that mess is there??? We can offer him a legit chance at number 1 center icetime.

RABBIT

That might change with a new owner!!! Clean slate time with picks and prospects. No way he is going to re-up in that mess is there??? We can offer him a legit chance at number 1 center icetime.

I'm not sure that they will be changing ownership anytime soon, despite the developments over the last year. That being said, even if they were to get a new owner, trading away a strong piece at one of the strongest positions in the game is not a good first impression. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him help us shore-up our center position, I just don't ever see it happening. I also get the sense from him that he has a short list of teams he wants to play for, and if he does not end up in one of those places, he will make it difficult for management to keep him around. Again that's just my speculation.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm not sure that they will be changing ownership anytime soon, despite the developments over the last year. That being said, even if they were to get a new owner, trading away a strong piece at one of the strongest positions in the game is not a good first impression. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him help us shore-up our center position, I just don't ever see it happening. I also get the sense from him that he has a short list of teams he wants to play for, and if he does not end up in one of those places, he will make it difficult for management to keep him around. Again that's just my speculation.
I can't see Melnyk keeping this team, the fans hate him, the players hate him, the City hates him, and the NHL probably aren't fans either. Sooner or later he will want his money and will nit accept the losses. Probably not soon enough for Duchene's last year though. He can't actually choose to sign there can he??

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that the fast game Tocchet likes is well suited to Boedker. I still don't want him but I can understand why the Coyotes might have interest. Would he even want to come back?

RABBIT

I think that the fast game Tocchet likes is well suited to Boedker. I still don't want him but I can understand why the Coyotes might have interest. Would he even want to come back?

Familiar town
Best friend is on the team and now the shoe-in captain
Beautiful weather (had that in San Jose too)
Cheaper cost of living

Pretty sure he'd have little issue

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This is not a rumor, but on his podcast, Ray Ferraro suggested a trade of Domi for Hanifin.

I'd do that in about two seconds.

OEL - Demers
Hanifin - Goligoski
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson

Yes, please.

Reactions: Lilhoody

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
We're trading from an organizational weakness (top six forward talent) to a strength (LHD). In a vacuum the value is fair but the fit absolutely is not. No thanks.

rt

May 13, 2004
This is not a rumor, but on his podcast, Ray Ferraro suggested a trade of Domi for Hanifin.

I'd do that in about two seconds.

OEL - Demers
Hanifin - Goligoski
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson

Yes, please.
I'd do it. I would definitely do the POJ+2nd for TyJo trade right after. I'd also cross Hughes off my list. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad