Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Already said they are keeping this year's. Of course, they could change their mind. They don't need to make that decision 'til they are on the clock at the draft.

I guess they don't want to keep next year's and give the message to fans that they're tanking??

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Already said they are keeping this year's. Of course, they could change their mind. They don't need to make that decision 'til they are on the clock at the draft.
I think I'd change my mind right now, unlikely to pick lower next year in a better draft.

Reactions: SniperHF

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Full list of Kevin Epp clients, aside from the 3 we already own. Some interesting names on there:

Jakob Silfverberg
Darren Helm
Shea Weber
Lars Eller
Andre Burakovsky
Jake Virtanen
Josh Gorges
Travis Hamonic
Brenden Dillon
Mikkel Boedker
Derek Grant
Thomas Hickey
Nolan Patrick

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think I'd change my mind right now, unlikely to pick lower next year in a better draft.

Ottawa could finish dead last next season and still have a 50+% chance to draft 4th.

If they don’t finish last that % and lower draft possibilities increase.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Ottawa could finish dead last next season and still have a 50+% chance to draft 4th.

If they don’t finish last that % and lower draft possibilities increase.
Imagine if they won the lottery and had to watch the Avs draft a great player, I'd give them this year's pick.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Andre Burakovsky might be the odd man out in Washington. Caps fans on their board are discussing their cap crunch as they come down from the Cup high. If they're keeping Carlson, Beagle's probably out and they'll likely have to make a choice about a cap dump too. They're debating Orpik versus Burakovsky.

I'd like to get Orpik + 31st overall for something and then see if someone falls. If not, flip the pick for someone like Craig Smith, Tyler Johnson, or JT Miller. Or a young D like Rasmus Andersson.

If they elect to dump Burakovsky, he might make a good replacement for Domi if he's out the door. Maybe Burakovsky for Merkley?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Oh, I don't think you can unlock the potential of what was. That's gone. But can he be a 50-point guy again?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Oh, I don't think you can unlock the potential of what was. That's gone. But can he be a 50-point guy again?
Maybe. I don't doubt that he can still be a decent player, I'm just tired of watching his uniquely frustrating brand of inconsistent offense.

Reactions: doaner

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d love to pick up TyJo. He’s a great insurance policy against Strome fizzling out. With OEL locked up, Hjalmarsson likely locked up before draft day, and Quinn Hughes 4th on my board, I’m a lot less attached to POJ.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I would do this is Johnson had two or three years left on his contract but not six. I would rather sign Stastny for three years.

That would require two things.
1. Stansy only signs for 3 years.
2. Stansy wants to sign here.

What do you think the chances of one of those events happening this offseason? How about both?

Price is a bit steep but is POJ + our 3rd this year more digestible?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That would require two things.
1. Stansy only signs for 3 years.
2. Stansy wants to sign here.

What do you think the chances of one of those events happening this offseason? How about both?

Price is a bit steep but is POJ + our 3rd this year more digestible?
Then look elsewhere. Do not want to be saddled with Johnson's contract.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’d love to pick up TyJo. He’s a great insurance policy against Strome fizzling out. With OEL locked up, Hjalmarsson likely locked up before draft day, and Quinn Hughes 4th on my board, I’m a lot less attached to POJ.
Where does Strome fit with Johnson here for six years, or is Johnson a insurance policy for six years? How about we develop our own prospects instead of paying big dollars for players at the tail end of their prime. I know we need a C, we also need a RW, and we also need a RD. Rome wasn't built in a day.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Where does Strome fit with Johnson here for six years, or is Johnson a insurance policy for six years? How about we develop our own prospects instead of paying big dollars for players at the tail end of their prime. I know we need a C, we also need a RW, and we also need a RD. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Johnson plays both RW and C. That’s the point. He likely fits on Strome’s wing, if Strome is up to being a real nhl center next year. If Strome isn’t ready next year, he’ll never be. He’s a bust at that point. 100%. Either way, we’d be glad we had TyJo. Whether it be to replace a busted Strome or to be “Not Zack Rinaldo” on the Domi, and Strome line.

Reactions: SniperHF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad