Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
With Chayka mentioning draft by position, maybe he doesn’t mean left and right shot D exclusively. Maybe he means puck moving D. Hughes fits that description. Where else are we going to get a dynamic talent like that other than to draft it? No one is trading a player like that. Look how long it took us to move Yandle.

Right now I think we are taking Hughes at 5, unless Zadina is available.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Give me Quinn Hughes at 5th overall and Tyler Johnson for POJ and a 2nd. With Hickey, Wood and POJ out, we’ll have a bigger need for the talents of Quinn Hughes. With RW/C Tyler Johnson aboard, the RW/C need is lessened.

That’s a good start. I know SJ fans weren’t too keen on Panik for Boedker but maybe their management is. Or maybe we make a very small add. Like a fourth or fifth rounder.

So between Johnson and Boedker, minus Panik, that’s two of three things checked off on Tocchet’s wish list. Question than is the PP RHD.

What’s your max on Mike Green? Detroit has one and two year offers on the table. Do we go three? Or match their term but beat their offer?

Boedker Stepan Keller
Domi Johnson Strome
Perlini Dvorak Fischer
Crouse Kruger Cousins
Archibald

OEL Demers
Chychrun Hammer
Goligoski Green
Lybushkin

Raanta
Kuemper

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We're trading from an organizational weakness (top six forward talent) to a strength (LHD). In a vacuum the value is fair but the fit absolutely is not. No thanks.
You win from the net out and Gogo can play RD, but like you said our weakness is top six talent.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That’s a good start. I know SJ fans weren’t too keen on Panik for Boedker but maybe their management is. Or maybe we make a very small add. Like a fourth or fifth rounder.

So between Johnson and Boedker, minus Panik, that’s two of three things checked off on Tocchet’s wish list. Question than is the PP RHD.

What’s your max on Mike Green? Detroit has one and two year offers on the table. Do we go three? Or match their term but beat their offer?

Boedker Stepan Keller
Domi Johnson Strome
Perlini Dvorak Fischer
Crouse Kruger Cousins
Archibald

OEL Demers
Chychrun Hammer
Goligoski Green
Lybushkin

Raanta
Kuemper
I don't trade Panik for Boedker at this point. Pankik gives usa little more muscle and is great along the boards. I hate bringing back players.

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Let me preface this by saying I don't want Lucic. But is there a deal out there that makes his contract palatable?

Something like...

To Edmonton - Bolland (cap), Panik (roster spot)
To Arizona - Lucic (maybe some % retention), Puljujarvi

Would the Oil actually consider moving Puju to get out from that albatross?

We'd look like...

Perlini Stepan Keller
Domi Strome Puljujarvi
Lucic Dvorak Fischer
Crouse Kruger Cousins

For reference, Lucic has 5 years left at 6 mil cap. Half the deal is signing bonuses.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
With Chayka mentioning draft by position, maybe he doesn’t mean left and right shot D exclusively. Maybe he means puck moving D. Hughes fits that description. Where else are we going to get a dynamic talent like that other than to draft it? No one is trading a player like that. Look how long it took us to move Yandle.

Right now I think we are taking Hughes at 5, unless Zadina is available.
Partially agree, I think we're picking a RHD at 5 unless Zadina is there. Dobson or Bouchard....maybe move down for Boqvist. Chayka has made such a big deal about RHS/RD I think he won't pass up a chance to grab one, as much as I'd prefer it be Hughes who is Keller-esqe.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Current depth chart going into the draft look about right? I'm assuming we re-sign all our RFAs except Hamilton and none of our UFAs.

Keller - Stepan - Panik
Perlini - Dvorak - Fischer
Domi - Strome - Cousins
Crouse - Kruger - Archibald
Ullstrom - Fasching

OEL - Demers
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Lyubushkin
Murphy

Raanta - Kuemper

Bunting - Dauphin - Merkley
Burke - Kempe - Garland
Steenbergen - Macinnis -Looke
Maletta - Pederson - Helewka

Capobianco - Campbell
Mermis - Mayo
Dineen - Gross
Smereck

Hill - Miska - Madsen

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Current depth chart going into the draft look about right? I'm assuming we re-sign all our RFAs except Hamilton and none of our UFAs.

Keller - Stepan - Panik Bunting - Dauphin - Merkley
Perlini - Dvorak - Fischer Burke - Kempe - Garland
Domi - Strome - Cousins Steenbergen - Macinnis -Looke
Crouse - Kruger - Archibald Maletta - Pederson - Helewka
Ullstrom - Fasching

OEL - Demers Capobianco - Campbell
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson Mermis - Mayo
Goligoski - Lyubushkin Dineen - Gross
Murphy Smereck

Raanta - Kuemper Hill - Miska - Madsen
Yup, also points to the need of 1-2 top 6/9 RW(s). Tyler Johnson makes so much sense.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Let me preface this by saying I don't want Lucic. But is there a deal out there that makes his contract palatable?

Something like...

To Edmonton - Bolland (cap), Panik (roster spot)
To Arizona - Lucic (maybe some % retention), Puljujarvi

Would the Oil actually consider moving Puju to get out from that albatross?

We'd look like...

Perlini Stepan Keller
Domi Strome Puljujarvi
Lucic Dvorak Fischer
Crouse Kruger Cousins

For reference, Lucic has 5 years left at 6 mil cap. Half the deal is signing bonuses.

I proposed that on the trade board in the Lucic doesn't want to play in Canada anymore thread. If we wait until after July 1st, it's basically even money for us this year and we'd get the last year of Puljujarvi's ELC. It's the subsequent years that we'd have to be a little more concerned about budget wise, as well as whether we'd have to protect him in a future expansion draft.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think that was me. I think I just viewed POJ as a 3-5 year development project and Wood with his shot if he could improve his skating and our lack of depth at RD I thought here was potential to make the roster as soon as 2018/19. Then Wood took a step backwards this past season and now he's gone.
I know Wood's dad Joe and spoke to him last night. Kyle's very excited about the move to SJ and hopeful of the potential opportunity it presents. Wood was in Van Ryn's doghouse all year, he didn't get PP time which is his specialty and was healthy scratched quite a bit towards the end of the season. He didn't get much of chance this past year, wasn't a step backwards as much as it wasn't the step forward. He's a good kid, just turned 22 and wish him all the best.

I also told his dad I thought Kyle would end up in Pittsburgh, Joe said the Penguins were interested in Kyle, but nothing came of it.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I know Wood's dad Joe and spoke to him last night. Kyle's very excited about the move to SJ and hopeful of the potential opportunity it presents. Wood was in Van Ryn's doghouse all year, he didn't get PP time which is his specialty and was healthy scratched quite a bit towards the end of the season. He didn't get much of chance this past year, wasn't a step backwards as much as it wasn't the step forward. He's a good kid, just turned 22 and wish him all the best.

I also told his dad I thought Kyle would end up in Pittsburgh, Joe said the Penguins were interested in Kyle, but nothing came of it.
Lamb was supposed to run his system like Tippett, right. And Van Ryn like Tocchet? We definitely saw some of our NHL struggle to adapt. Perhaps it was the same in the minors?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Kyle Wood isn't good in his own end...like Dobson in the sense that he doesn't win board battles. He's clumsy when in tight combative situations, but he is a wizard on the PP and in open space when he's got time to use his dangles (good hands as a Dman) and his lethal shot. He just needs to go to a system that gives him more opportunities to use the skills he has vs fitting into a system that wants him to move the puck...especially if he isn't getting PP time.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Lamb was supposed to run his system like Tippett, right. And Van Ryn like Tocchet? We definitely saw some of our NHL struggle to adapt. Perhaps it was the same in the minors?
Some of that for sure. He fits SJ's model much better and will benefit playing in the same org as Burns.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Kyle Wood isn't good in his own end...like Dobson in the sense that he doesn't win board battles. He's clumsy when in tight combative situations, but he is a wizard on the PP and in open space when he's got time to use his dangles (good hands as a Dman) and his lethal shot. He just needs to go to a system that gives him more opportunities to use the skills he has vs fitting into a system that wants him to move the puck...especially if he isn't getting PP time.
Do we coach a style or do we develop a style that suits the players? This sounds like a square peg in a round hole.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This makes me worried about drafting Hughes, who has similar tendencies as Wood as far as puck movement goes.
Hughes showed me enough at the World Championships in the way of adaptability to make me comfortable with him. He plays one way in college, but he was able to change that up at the World's and still be effective. He likes to carry the puck and he likes to go around the world as much as possible, but I think he showed he doesn't have to play it that way to be effective.

Generally, though, I agree with you. Hughes, and more so Dobson, but especially Boqvist seem stylistically less than perfect fits for the way our coaching staff wants D to play. I think Evan Bouchard is pretty well tailor-made for that style, though. Even OEL isn't a perfect fit, and he found a balance that works. I think Hughes and Dobson could too. I worry about Boqvist.

Reactions: Grimes

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Count me in as a pass on Lucic... He just isn't a good player anymore imo. I'd rather have the dead cap, personally.

I know he's just thrown in to get Pool party but I view his addition as a negative in the locker room for this team.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
This makes me worried about drafting Hughes, who has similar tendencies as Wood as far as puck movement goes.
But Hughes is such a dynamic skater....he's in full attack mode all the time. Seems to fit the org style in a big way.

All 5 of the Dmen projected after Dahlin are offense first guys and seem to lack in the DZ, whether it's skill or will.

Reactions: Grimes

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This is a speculation board. It's for reactions and speculation and discussion. That's the point. If you want official news only, just set up a news feed. Save yourself the headache.

Actually I think these boards are both speculative and factual. There are countless examples of confirmed links that prove the latter. I Doan see anything wrong with pointing out that much of what is written herein, is merely speculation on the part of board members and can't for the life of me understand why doing so would strike a nerve.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Boedker Stepan Keller
Domi Johnson Strome
Perlini Dvorak Fischer
Crouse Kruger Cousins
Archibald

OEL Demers
Chychrun Hammer
Goligoski Green
Lybushkin

Raanta
Kuemper

I like the TyJo trade idea more and more, especially if there are indications that a D will be the direction to go. If it costs POJ and a 2019 2nd rounder, I would be thrilled. We could still even decide to move back with a team like Chicago if there is reason (like Tkachuk on the board). That pretty much means we would be guaranteed a Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard or Boqvist at #8, plus picking up something extra. #5 and #65 to Chicago for #8 and #27?

#8 - Bouchard, RHD
#27 - Dellandrea, C
#55 - Regula, RHD
#73 - Wise, C
#74 - Roman, LW
Keep Strome at C.

No to the Panik v Boedker trade - I really liked how Panik tends to use his body more than Boedker, even though that may not fit the system.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad