Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Are we allowed to trade the Bolland contract? Could we use that uninsured part instead of retention in a deal to bring real money closer to balance? Now that we have the Hossa contract, it seems like we could dump Bolland's in the right deal. Maybe NHL wouldn't allow it?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Are we allowed to trade the Bolland contract? Could we use that uninsured part instead of retention in a deal to bring real money closer to balance? Now that we have the Hossa contract, it seems like we could dump Bolland's in the right deal. Maybe NHL wouldn't allow it?

Why is this? Team has no cap issues. Bollands contract is in it's final year, and then it is gone. Team don't actually pay much money on it, so there is no real financial benefit of getting rid of it.

Sorry, don't follow you here..

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Why though? Bolland is only owed 1.1 mil in real dollars and we can't afford to pay close to Lucic's full value.

It's not unprecedented though for a dead deal to be moved more than once. Marc Savard, for example, went from Boston to Florida to NJ.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
We think we still have maybe a couple of million left, based on the differences between the JVR offer and the Grabner contracts, right?

Hypothetical, but let's say you want to acquire a goal-scoring winger like Eberle who has a $6.0M contract.
Panik, Merkley + pick is probably close value, but we can't quite afford that. If you add the Bolland contract though, the finances probably work out, but we might have to improve the pick or add another prospect.

Basically another way of getting the other team to retain, but also opening up a contract spot to give us more flexibility.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Why though? Bolland is only owed 1.1 mil in real dollars and we can't afford to pay close to Lucic's full value.

It's not unprecedented though for a dead deal to be moved more than once. Marc Savard, for example, went from Boston to Florida to NJ.

Because an extra million dollars is an extra million dollars?

Lucic's money at 50% (-Bolland):
2018-19: $650k
2019-20: $3M
2020-21: $2M
2021-22: $2.5M
2022-23: $2M

So $10.15M over the next five years or just a shade over $2M a year for five years. Not great, but not completely intolerable. If you include Archibald, too, it's $9.5M over 5 years, so you get under $2M a year for him.

Trading Bolland in a similar deal for someone else would work the same way. It'd just be paper accounting to get an extra million+ dollars. A million here, half a million there... Adds up for a broke team. Which is why giving Richardson his deal was so dumb...

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ohh. Yeah if you want to include Bolland in addition to those other pieces, go for it. I thought he meant in place of the ~3.5 mil for Panik and Archibald.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, those numbers are without Panik and Archibald. But again, it's just an extra million real dollars to discount on top of retention if you find a guy being squeezed out by cap.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd take Lucic at 50% for Panik+Archibald. Oil also add their 1st or Puljujarvi.

There's a very real chance Lucic doesn't bounce back and isn't any better than Panik. Again, it's a big reach to go from something that works to a convoluted trade for something that you are just guessing will work.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I would rather let Lucic's contract get in the way of EDM's cap situation than the risk of taking him on at 50% retention.
We don't need Lucic or half his contract or any of his term. Let other teams over pay for vets on the downside of their careers especially wingers, the least important position in hockey.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I would rather have Panik who is a quality middle-six winger than gamble on Lucic at 50%. We need more quality NHL players, not fewer.

Where it gets interesting is if the Edmonton-Lucic divorce has some urgency, and they are willing to add something like Puljuarvi.

If you can dump dead salary like Bolland along with a third or something similar and add Lucic AND Puljujarvi, it's definitely something I'd look at. I don't think they are that desperate though.

Otherwise, let them figure out how to squeeze Lucic, RNH, Connor, and Drai under the cap and still improve their d-corps. Not our problem.

Reactions: Grimes

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The question would be, do you see a 25 yr old Puljujarvi (now 20yoa) as an effective player in five years. If the answer is yes, then it's almost definitely worth paying 35 year old Lucic $2M even if he sucks.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Even if you can only get 2 years out of Lucic, you can always buy out the final 3 years, especially if the Oil are already picking up half.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Even if you can only get 2 years out of Lucic, you can always buy out the final 3 years, especially if the Oil are already picking up half.

Exactly. At 50% there's no reason to say, "never".

But there's still no reason to do them a favour with their cap unless we're getting something nice out of the arrangement.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So my buddy told me we kicked tires on Lucic. Says Lucic likes Arizona and has some connections here. That's all I got from him, and lately he's hit and miss so take it however you'd like. I don't see how it fits financially but if Edm retains 50% i may have interest. I don't really like him as a player now, not the same man that played for the Bruins and I've grown an intense hatred for him and Kassian...but...i don't hate the idea of him at the right price.

Lucic and Craig Cunningham were close friends when they played in Boston.

When Cunningham was recovering in the hospital from his heart failure two seasons ago Lucic rented a car and made a special trip down visit him while the Oilers were in town.

Even that..... I don’t think we need him no matter the price.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
A motivated Lucic could be a good addition especially at 50% retained. Cant see the Oilers retaining that much AND adding a top prospect to trade him. With the Coyotes at 50 contracts they would need to send more contracts than they receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad