Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A major issue with Trouba is that he wants to live in the US. His Father has a criminal record and can't enter Canada which us an issue for the player. Agent is still a pain and I don't personally feel he has earned the $7 million contract he wants.

Just realized Dvorak has the same agent as Trouba. Oh goody.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I mean, he's not Rieder's agent. Not even close. But still one of the more annoying guys based on reports.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we had not signed Lyubushkin and not picked up Oesterle, instead going after bargain basement FA signings that were expected to be nothing more than injury call-ups and the expectation that they are a #7 D at best, then I could agree with waiting. However, getting a player who saw significant NHL ice time in Oesterle and someone, who by all accounts, has the physical toughness that we may want in Chychrun, but haven't been able to rely on staying on the ice for at least 70 games in the year would suggest that there may be something that we don't know about. Which is why I suggested the ideas of adverse philosophies between agent/management and/or being uncertain regarding the injury history and what that means to us. The only D whom I consider "safe" at this point are OEL, Hjalmarsson, and Goligoski (mainly b/c of the NMC - if not for the NMC, Goligoski would be a bigger target to look into dealing, should the situation arise).
You are waaaaay overthinking this my friend. The likes of Oesterle or Connauton make Chychrun expendable as much as the likes of Grabner or Hinostroza make Clayton Keller expendable. These depth players just have nothing to do with our premiere assets.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Wonder what the Coyotes would need to add to trade for a signed Trouba?

Realistically though, what's the ask? Jets don't have much leverage here. I know Trouba rescinded that trade request from a few years back, but he's so gone first chance he gets.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If it were just Chychrun for Trouba I would absolutely make the deal. I don't want to add in value when our greatest need is forwards, not defensemen.

Reactions: Jakey53

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Realistically though, what's the ask? Jets don't have much leverage here. I know Trouba rescinded that trade request from a few years back, but he's so gone first chance he gets.

The ask? A lot. He will return something substantial IMO. Trouba is a 24 yr old 1st pairing RHD that is very good defensively, mobile, physical, mean and with decent offense. Would be the perfect partner for OEL. Definately an upgrade on Chychrun.

As for leverage, the Jets have 2 yrs to deal him. He is underpaid at $5.5 though will expect a raise on an extended contract. Chevy has proven to be a shrewd trader. It will be interesting to watch what happens.

Reactions: Mosby

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
You are waaaaay overthinking this my friend. The likes of Oesterle or Connauton make Chychrun expendable as much as the likes of Grabner or Hinostroza make Clayton Keller expendable. These depth players just have nothing to do with our premiere assets.

I probably am. But you never know what injuries can do. Judging by the rehab, Chychrun will be fine, but I also never thought that what happened to Sauer or Klesla was going to basically end their careers then and there (yes, totally different injuries), but all it takes is the ability for him to be less effective at turning or changing directions on ice to go from premiere player to very good player. It does scare me that two separate knee injuries have occurred. 1 on each knee. But I guess it would be far more concerning if both injuries happened to the same knee...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I like him, but don't really want to pay the price (RD is a need, but not a gaping hole) plus this is twice now where he and his agent have been sort of a pain to deal with. The contract holdout two years ago and this year's arbitration. Plus he's eligible for arbitration again next summer. Just not worth the pain. Same agent as Mike Smith FWIW.
I don't follow the Jets and all I know about Trouba is what I have read. I have seen him play a few times, is a good D but I don't really don't see why most think he is some type of great Dman. We could have our own Trouba in Chychrun as early as this year if he can stay healthy, and the way it sounds Trouba wants the moon. Has Trouba had injury problems? I just looked at his stats and he has only played one full season.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
"Our whole team was all over the place, so it felt like he didn't have a fair shot," Coyotes center Derek Stepan said. "But he played really well in the minors and honed his skills. He easily could have shut the engines down and said, 'Poor me,' but he learned how to use his skill set to be successful so he could get that 10-game stint at the end of the year when he played really well."

I like that Stepan pays enough attention to know these things and is able to speak a bit about them. I hope Strome can come in and make our choices for center difficult for our staff. Having 4 strong centers is just about the best problem a team can have.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
So my buddy told me we kicked tires on Lucic. Says Lucic likes Arizona and has some connections here. That's all I got from him, and lately he's hit and miss so take it however you'd like. I don't see how it fits financially but if Edm retains 50% i may have interest. I don't really like him as a player now, not the same man that played for the Bruins and I've grown an intense hatred for him and Kassian...but...i don't hate the idea of him at the right price.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Edmonton might as well keep him at 50% retention, he's worth the half.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Edmonton might as well keep him at 50% retention, he's worth the half.

nchmKO8K_400x400.png

Reactions: BigDoaner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad