Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That's AEG though, not the coyotes, right? Seems like a very deceiving headline unless I'm misunderstanding the article.

Yeah that's the city with AEG, Coyotes really have nothing to do with it. The article talks about how excited they are that the GoDaddy guy bought Westgate. Sure would be nice if he tossed some cash at the Yotes. Funny though how the city "Only" losing like $5 million on the arena deal is good for them.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Were we picking Tkachuk if he was available at 5?

Only reported draft prospect in for an Arizona visit
Lots of Tkachuk talk and highlighting of his strengths during the video
Chayka surprised Ottawa took him.
Chayka told Morgan they’d have picked Hayton at five if Tkachuk were there. They had Hayton 3rd or 4th. I suspect they had him ranked 3rd overall. The

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yeah that's the city with AEG, Coyotes really have nothing to do with it. The article talks about how excited they are that the GoDaddy guy bought Westgate. Sure would be nice if he tossed some cash at the Yotes. Funny though how the city "Only" losing like $5 million on the arena deal is good for them.
Super deceiving title then, way to go AZ Republic.

@hbk Logan Brown currently working out with Jakob Chychrun in a Coyotes weight room (see instagram....)

Coincidence? Or your dream come true? :naughty::laugh:
They need to get PO in there.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Interesting. wonder what the story is with Zadina that so many GMs passed on him or were excited that Detroit drafted him ahead of them.....

It most likely comes down to the interviews. A lot of these hockey guys go into interviews with preset assumptions and preferences on the types of guys they like and don't like. You'll inevitably find guys in NHL management who could look at a legitimate scoring prodigy with no history of bad behavior and say, "Well, he just doesn't have the right character."

It's like that scene from Moneyball where the scouts are dismissing a draft candidate because his girlfriend isn't pretty enough - except there is far less ability for a Billy Beane type to combat that predilection with hard numbers and analysis, because the NHL is the least forward-thinking league in pro sports.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
It most likely comes down to the interviews. A lot of these hockey guys go into interviews with preset assumptions and preferences on the types of guys they like and don't like. You'll inevitably find guys in NHL management who could look at a legitimate scoring prodigy with no history of bad behavior and say, "Well, he just doesn't have the right character."

It's like that scene from Moneyball where the scouts are dismissing a draft candidate because his girlfriend isn't pretty enough - except there is far less ability for a Billy Beane type to combat that predilection with hard numbers and analysis, because the NHL is the least forward-thinking league in pro sports.

Very possible teams don't like something about the personality or attitude. I don't think Chayka is the type to let that make or break his decision as much, though. Heck, he brought in DeAngelo and tried that out when there were potential issues around him. So he must have thought the upside was more than the down.

In my opinion...Usually, a bad team mate brings down good team mate's play, it's not the other way around. So I'm sure that GM's try to make sure they don't "poison" a locker room at times.

It is very interesting about Zadina, though, that it wasn't just one team that didn't want him over other players, but several. That's one of those things I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for!

Reactions: Jakey53

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I prefer the dimmer lighting.
It's not like Shark Tank 2-3 years ago bad where there are shadows all over the place and it's not washed out in LED white.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
I want VGK's arena lighting. We wore our home jerseys in their barn once and our red jerseys looked soooooo much better than they do at Gila River. The red pops so much more. Imagine our Kachinas under that lighting.

Examples:
cut.jpeg

cut.jpg

Screenshot_20180802-140819_YouTube.jpg

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Interesting. wonder what the story is with Zadina that so many GMs passed on him or were excited that Detroit drafted him ahead of them.....

Could be a number of things. Back in high school, our coach used to put out a pretty extensive packet of offseason material for us (football, not hockey). A number of the information was directed towards concepts that make more sense relative to competition, such as:

1. Quickness is more important than speed. You would rather have a player with better change-of-direction than you would straight-line speed. As you move up in levels (HS-->college-->pros), most of those players have both elite change of direction and elite speed, so it becomes about very minute details to separate the elite from the good.
2. Players develop very differently. Coaches targeting athletes for scholarships are both looking at what they are at that moment, but what they could become. This is more evident in something like football, where teams will get a TE who is about 6'5" 225 lbs. and have no use for them at the TE position. In reality, they are looking at the player who has quick feet and a base that can support more weight. Player red-shirts for a year and after that year, the player is now up to 295 lbs. and is looking at playing the offensive line.

My guess is that Zadina may have come across as a little cocky in interviews (which can be normal, especially depending on how much they were "the man" on previous teams). When you have someone who is "the man," it may take a little more time to teach the player that they have to use their teammates moreso than it would be tell a player like Hayton to be a little selfish. Also, depending on what the player's physique is like, many teams may have thought that he had little chance to add the type of muscle that is needed to play the game at an extremely high level night-in/night-out. Chychrun is one of those players that has two sides to it - he has the body type to jump into the NHL right away at age 18. However, is the reason why he was so good in juniors b/c he developed ahead of the curve, and once every one of his peers reaches the age of 25, will he still be ahead of them, or does he regress to the middle of the pack? I am guessing that these two factors were the most likely components - some team may have the right leadership in place to nip this type of behavior (cocky/attitude) immediately and not make it an issue. But I am guessing that we saw some things in video that did not indicate enough puck awareness on Zadina's part, in addition to the other factors listed above. Other teams may have seen the same thing, and if it comes down to teams grading players equally, then going for the position of need usually wins out.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Have to admit, this got me a little excited about he season, except for the Strome at wing part. f*** that. You have to click the "Watch on Facebook" link to watch it.

No matter how you put it, this season will be an exciting one for the Arizona Coyotes. #31in31

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I wonder who loses the musical chairs at center. My money is on Richie. He can play wing and still take important draws instead of Chucky or Speedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->