Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #22 - K'Andre Miller (D) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yes and that's a fair deal for both sides. January 1st.
Is the new owner actually going to let them start trading picks? Carolina fans are convinced this is another tank and draft high year for them, but there's only so many years you can be perennial bottom feeders before making a move.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Is the new owner actually going to let them start trading picks? Carolina fans are convinced this is another tank and draft high year for them, but there's only so many years you can be perennial bottom feeders before making a move.
It's a good question but I think the owner is definitely focused about making the playoffs this year. I think they would also look at Hayes as being signable beyond this year and Fox as a signing risk. That helps us on both sides of the deal. Their attendance is still poor.

I'll be in Raleigh at Christmas and I'll be meeting with my contacts there.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
It’s a nice stat but generally speaking unless you’re Jack Eichel or the like, freshman fowards struggle their first year of NCAA hockey

Very rarely do you see guys come in and light up it almost immediately

Miller is doing good stuff though. Will be interesting to see if it translates to the pros.

Brendan Smith put up a ton of points during his time as Wisconsin and he can’t score a lick in the pros
Forwards develop way earlier than defensemen lol
Let alone defensemen who have only been playing that position for a couple years
Man we really ran away with both the biggest steals of the draft I can't believe it

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Defensemen
Freshmen defensemen have a tough time adjusting too.

Lol, I meant I agree with you. Up to that revelation I wrongfully thought that only freshman forwards struggle to adjust while freshman defenseman play like seniors from the get go.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's a good question but I think the owner is definitely focused about making the playoffs this year. I think they would also look at Hayes as being signable beyond this year and Fox as a signing risk. That helps us on both sides of the deal. Their attendance is still poor.

I'll be in Raleigh at Christmas and I'll be meeting with my contacts there.

Other things being equal I’d be more content if Hayes goes out West for the next 6 years.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The WJC's shouldn't have the type of impact on a prospect that they do, but K'Andre is a strong showing away from being a top 15, perhaps even a top 10 prospect in the game.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The WJC's shouldn't have the type of impact on a prospect that they do, but K'Andre is a strong showing away from being a top 15, perhaps even a top 10 prospect in the game.

Miller’s showing so far should’ve earned him a top15 already. If he continues in the same manner the rest of the season, regardless of WJC though a good one would certainly not hurt, he’d be a surefire top10.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Nope. I rate goalie prospects very conservatively. And I also believe Shestyorkin is a little overhyped by us Rangers fans, as most goalie prospects are. I still have him in my top 5, but at #4 or #5. Depends on if we count Pionk or DeAngelo.

Definitely exclude Pionk and DeAngelo. And to be frank with you, I wouldn't rank Pionk higher even if he WAS considered a prospect. But maybe that's just me.

I see where you're coming from though. Goaltending isn't always linear.

I have Kravtsov #1 for sure as well though. Sadly, we likely won't be getting a prospect who can contest that spot in this upcoming draft. Looking like the Rangers will be stuck as a middling team. Hank always keeps them in it, haha. I guess you never know, but I just don't think the Rangers being stuck with a range 10-15 draft pick will do them much great. Or I guess more like the 12-15 range.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I think Miller is making one hell of a case to be considered our top prospect. Kravtsov and Shesty are playing in a better league for sure but what Miller is doing this year is ridiculous so far.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Definitely exclude Pionk and DeAngelo. And to be frank with you, I wouldn't rank Pionk higher even if he WAS considered a prospect. But maybe that's just me.

I see where you're coming from though. Goaltending isn't always linear.

I have Kravtsov #1 for sure as well though. Sadly, we likely won't be getting a prospect who can contest that spot in this upcoming draft. Looking like the Rangers will be stuck as a middling team. Hank always keeps them in it, haha. I guess you never know, but I just don't think the Rangers being stuck with a range 10-15 draft pick will do them much great. Or I guess more like the 12-15 range.

:rolleyes:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It’s a nice stat but generally speaking unless you’re Jack Eichel or the like, freshman fowards struggle their first year of NCAA hockey

Very rarely do you see guys come in and light up it almost immediately

Miller is doing good stuff though. Will be interesting to see if it translates to the pros.

Brendan Smith put up a ton of points during his time as Wisconsin and he can’t score a lick in the pros
There are plenty of freshman who put up solid numbers their freshman years, 5 points are not solid numbers (10 points are at this point of the season is).

The Smith comparisons doesn't really make sense, the NCAA was a different ball game back then, Wisconsin had 4 fifty point scorers on the team when Smith did it, also in his 3rd NCAA season. Smith only put up 12 points his freshman year. Also Smith was drafted as an 2way defenseman, it translated to the AHL, but just never to the NHL.
When someone mentions SMith the way he did I don't see it as a comparison, just as a caution.

It's a very fair caution flag to raise as well.

NCAA is very different from the NHL and there are soooo many factors that can influence things like quality of teammates and opposition.

I only see positive signs and analysis about all aspects of his game though which bodes very well for his future as a top 4 D man with incredible size and athleticism.

His passing is the only major attribute I haven't heard much about but it appears he uses his mobility effectively to open lanes. I have not watched him outside of small highlights but in those highlights I've seen this.

Next year, if he improves on everything he has done this year I will officially be ecstatic.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
When someone mentions SMith the way he did I don't see it as a comparison, just as a caution.

It's a very fair caution flag to raise as well.

NCAA is very different from the NHL and there are soooo many factors that can influence things like quality of teammates and opposition.

I only see positive signs and analysis about all aspects of his game though which bodes very well for his future as a top 4 D man with incredible size and athleticism.

His passing is the only major attribute I haven't heard much about but it appears he uses his mobility effectively to open lanes. I have not watched him outside of small highlights but in those highlights I've seen this.

Next year, if he improves on everything he has done this year I will officially be ecstatic.

Those are factors in the NCAA too.

FWIW, He leads his team in scoring and Wisconsin has played and will continue to play a very difficult schedule (Currently the 12 most difficult in NCAA D1 hockey)

I get the flag of caution thing, but its silly to compare a guy who was seen as super raw in his freshman year to a guy who had 2 full years of development on him and played on a stacked team.

Reactions: lucky13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad