Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #22 - K'Andre Miller (D) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If we're talking player comparisons here, a left handed Seth Jones is just about bang on. Think Jones was better defensively, but Miller can correct his defensive zone deficiencies to be a very similar player.

Colton Parayko is another good comparison, IMO.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Those are factors in the NCAA too.

FWIW, He leads his team in scoring and Wisconsin has played and will continue to play a very difficult schedule (Currently the 12 most difficult in NCAA D1 hockey)

I get the flag of caution thing, but its silly to compare a guy who was seen as super raw in his freshman year to a guy who had 2 full years of development on him and played on a stacked team.
I wasnt saying they're not factors, that would be silly of me. Those were two separate thoughts in that bolded paragraph.

1 nhl is different (no duh)
2 there's a ton of factors to consider that might explain a higher than expected output for him like the two I mentioned.

I didn't see it as a comparison.

It absolutely could've been but I thought it was more just an example used to highlight a certain idea...that idea being that one or two good seasons of stats at a lower level could be an outlier or aberration that won't translate the same way.

Like I said though, I'm very excited, on the verge of ecstatic

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Smith didn't put up huge numbers until his junior year (though he did put up better than .5 points per game in his first two years which seem to have been cut short for whatever reasons...injury?) while Miller is putting up close to a point per game as a freshman.

It's 100% entirely possible that he will not be able to carry that over to the NHL, if he even continues it through the rest of his freshman season, but again...a freshman putting up these point totals is intriguing because it's likely he will continue developing (at least, we hope) but is still excelling at a level that is new to him. I'm more excited about a freshman doing so well than a junior doing so well, if you get my point. It makes me think it's more likely he has the talent to develop into a point producer at a higher level as well.

That said, even if he doesn't become a big time offensive player at the NHL level, I'd be ecstatic for a 40 point 1st pairing defenseman who is a great athlete, plays in all situations, and just owns the shit out of his minutes. Basically what we all kept expecting out of McDonagh (and what he gave us for several years)

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It's a good question but I think the owner is definitely focused about making the playoffs this year. I think they would also look at Hayes as being signable beyond this year and Fox as a signing risk. That helps us on both sides of the deal. Their attendance is still poor.

I'll be in Raleigh at Christmas and I'll be meeting with my contacts there.

Bring Fox home!

I don't care if you gotta go full Cousin Eddie to get him here. We'll start a GoFundMe for your troubles.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
it's always kind of interesting when it comes to college prospects and their ability to play a full 4 years of high level hockey before deciding to sign and go pro.

I think it's why teams will pressure guys to go pro early of course, so they don't have the chance to go UFA, but in general treating them well and leaving open opportunities for them to make the team when they do turn pro is a key part of drafting guys who go the college route. I wouldn't be surprised to some extent if teams didn't think about "who was this guys favorite team when he was growing up?" as well.

That said, we can see it doesn't always make a difference...Chris Kreider and Kevin Hayes obviously being Boston guys who signed with the Rangers.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My cousin is from Jericho and he knows the Braccos. I'll have to ask him if he knows Adam Fox. Get him to demand a trade.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
it's always kind of interesting when it comes to college prospects and their ability to play a full 4 years of high level hockey before deciding to sign and go pro.

I think it's why teams will pressure guys to go pro early of course, so they don't have the chance to go UFA, but in general treating them well and leaving open opportunities for them to make the team when they do turn pro is a key part of drafting guys who go the college route. I wouldn't be surprised to some extent if teams didn't think about "who was this guys favorite team when he was growing up?" as well.

That said, we can see it doesn't always make a difference...Chris Kreider and Kevin Hayes obviously being Boston guys who signed with the Rangers.
Kreider was definitely going to sign with Boston though. Same with Hagelin and Detroit.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Definitely exclude Pionk and DeAngelo. And to be frank with you, I wouldn't rank Pionk higher even if he WAS considered a prospect. But maybe that's just me.

I see where you're coming from though. Goaltending isn't always linear.

I have Kravtsov #1 for sure as well though. Sadly, we likely won't be getting a prospect who can contest that spot in this upcoming draft. Looking like the Rangers will be stuck as a middling team. Hank always keeps them in it, haha. I guess you never know, but I just don't think the Rangers being stuck with a range 10-15 draft pick will do them much great. Or I guess more like the 12-15 range.
My list is pretty fluid. Changes a bit every month or so. If we’re excluding Pionk and ADA,

1. Kravtsov (even though I’m so freakin tempted to put Miller there)
2. Miller
3. Chytil
4. Shestyorkin
5. Howden
6. Lundkvist
7. Keane
8. Andersson
9. Hajek
10. Rykov

And yes, we need higher picks, but we also want to keep the team happy, and we do that by winning games.

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
My list is pretty fluid. Changes a bit every month or so. If we’re excluding Pionk and ADA,

2. Miller
3. Chytil
4. Shestyorkin
5. Howden
6. Lundkvist
7. Keane
8. Andersson
9. Hajek
10. Rykov

And yes, we need higher picks, but we also want to keep the team happy, and we do that by winning games.
I can see the argument for Anderson out of the top 5.... but Keane and Lundqvist ?? I guess...

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
10 pts away from Skjei's entire 3 year college career!!
This kid just can’t stop producing. Absolute beast. Maybe he’s getting a little lucky, but producing those kinds of numbers tells me that at the very least, he’s making smart decisions that lead to points.

By the way, how many points did he have last game? Was there a goal as well?

darko

Feb 16, 2009

2. Miller
3. Chytil
4. Shestyorkin
5. Howden
6. Lundkvist
7. Keane
8. Andersson
9. Hajek
10. Rykov

1. Kravtsov
2. Chytil
3. Lias
4. Miller
5. Shesty
6. Howden
7. Nils
8. Hajek
9. Keane

Reactions: Rangers743

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This kid just can’t stop producing. Absolute beast. Maybe he’s getting a little lucky, but producing those kinds of numbers tells me that at the very least, he’s making smart decisions that lead to points.

By the way, how many points did he have last game? Was there a goal as well?
1+1 last game.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I can see the argument for Anderson out of the top 5.... but Keane and Lundqvist ?? I guess...
Yea man, I think Andersson caps off as an excellent 3rd liner, and maybe a below average 2nd liner in his prime. At best. I think Keane has top 4 upside, and even though I’m not sure if he will get there, I like his chances of being a middle pairing d-man over Andersson’s chances of being a 2nd liner. In regards to Lundkvist, I just love the kid. I don’t see him as anything less than a solid top 4 d-man. He won’t be great, and he’s kind of a “safe” prospect (like Andersson), but again, I like his chances more. Lundkvist is a better skater and passer, which are 2 of the top 3 things I look for in a prospect. The other being hockey IQ, which I believe is about even for both. In my opinion, Andersson’s hockey sense is a little overrated, and his skating will always keep him from reaching the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad