Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft / Pick #22 - K'Andre Miller (D) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Yea man, I think Andersson caps off as an excellent 3rd liner, and maybe a below average 2nd liner in his prime. At best. I think Keane has top 4 upside, and even though I’m not sure if he will get there, I like his chances of being a middle pairing d-man over Andersson’s chances of being a 2nd liner. In regards to Lundkvist, I just love the kid. I don’t see him as anything less than a solid top 4 d-man. He won’t be great, and he’s kind of a “safe” prospect (like Andersson), but again, I like his chances more. Lundkvist is a better skater and passer, which are 2 of the top 3 things I look for in a prospect. The other being hockey IQ, which I believe is about even for both. In my opinion, Andersson’s hockey sense is a little overrated, and his skating will always keep him from reaching the next level.
I dont wanna get into another 3-page argument about this again but Andersson definitely has more upside than a below average 2nd liner

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I dont wanna get into another 3-page argument about this again but Andersson definitely has more upside than a below average 2nd liner
Then why would you respond? I’m just giving my opinion, and the post wasn’t meant to take a shot at you. That being said, I hope you’re right about him. I’ve been very wrong before on these kinds of things.

Reactions: Rongomania

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Then why would you respond? I’m just giving my opinion, and the post wasn’t meant to take a shot at you. That being said, I hope you’re right about him. I’ve been very wrong before on these kinds of things.
Na ik you can post your opinion but I'm js I disagree

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Miller might end up passing everyone by the end of the year.
Many have said that he would be the steal of the draft, even before it began. I thought that it was possible, but I also thought it would take about 3 years for us to realize it. Not this fast. It’s still early, but our FO is really impressing me.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Yea man, I think Andersson caps off as an excellent 3rd liner, and maybe a below average 2nd liner in his prime. At best. I think Keane has top 4 upside, and even though I’m not sure if he will get there, I like his chances of being a middle pairing d-man over Andersson’s chances of being a 2nd liner. In regards to Lundkvist, I just love the kid. I don’t see him as anything less than a solid top 4 d-man. He won’t be great, and he’s kind of a “safe” prospect (like Andersson), but again, I like his chances more. Lundkvist is a better skater and passer, which are 2 of the top 3 things I look for in a prospect. The other being hockey IQ, which I believe is about even for both. In my opinion, Andersson’s hockey sense is a little overrated, and his skating will always keep him from reaching the next level.

I think you are way too light on Andersson. He's one of only 30 (depending on the day) U21 players in the NHL and his stats in the AHL (12 points in 14 games) have been just as good as consensus top prospects like Borgstrom (22 in 23), Necas (20 in 22), or Kyrou (10 in 14). By any objective measure, he's one of the top prospects in hockey (although I'd have Chytil, Kravstov, and potentially Miller and Howden ahead of him too).

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I think you are way too light on Andersson. He's one of only 30 (depending on the day) U21 players in the NHL and his stats in the AHL (12 points in 14 games) have been just as good as consensus top prospects like Borgstrom (22 in 23), Necas (20 in 22), or Kyrou (10 in 14). By any objective measure, he's one of the top prospects in hockey (although I'd have Chytil, Kravstov, and potentially Miller and Howden ahead of him too).
His AHL stats are just as irrelevant as his being taken 7th at this point.

He’s with the big boys and is finding his way... does that mean more than a 3 or 4c? Time will tell

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
For those that have watched him - how is he looking defensively?
I think like most of his game, he’s a work in progress. He’s generally pretty good, and he’s definitely not on the ice for a lot of goals against (he and Emberson are essentially Wisconsin’s shut down unit). He’s really good at breaking up plays in transition and he’s good at getting his stick body/stick in passing lane and he’s great along the boards. Since he has such a large wingspan, he positions his body to make forwards think they have a lane to go by him and when they try to go passed him he can knock the puck loose with his stick or if he misses that, he’s a good enough skater to keep up with them and keep them to the outside.

He’s a super confident kid, but he can get a little too aggressive at times, there was a goal a few games ago where he left a guy completely alone in front of the net to double team someone along the boards near the top of the circles with his defense partner, and he’s prone to the ‘trying to force a pass’ turnover in his own zone. When the other team gets set up in the zone is when he starts to run into the stuff he needs to work on, he starts to take a few extra beats in his reading of how the play is developing and that results in him getting pretty stagnant, but to his credit, when he’s doing this he gets into a pretty safe position (usually near the front or side of the net) and waits for some kind of opportunity to do something.

And now that I’m thinking about it, his whole game is at it’s best when he’s moving and engaging with the play, but when he slows down he starts to get a little mixed up, which fits with his switch to defense, and is mostly why I think he should stay in college for another year or two and use the time just getting comfortable learning the nuances of being a defenseman before turning pro.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Kravtsov, Chytil, Lias, Miller, Shesty, Howden, Nils, Hajek, Keane

Regardless of the rankings, that is a lot of 2nd contracts to sign once they all come off their entry levels. If they add a couple more out of the 2019 draft/trade deadline and some grouping out of all those prospects reach their ceilings it seems like the Rangers remaining cap flexible is going to become pretty important during that 3-6 year span where many of them are likely to need some type of extensions.

Reactions: Rongomania and jas

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Kravtsov, Chytil, Lias, Miller, Shesty, Howden, Nils, Hajek, Keane

Regardless of the rankings, that is a lot of 2nd contracts to sign once they all come off their entry levels. If they add a couple more out of the 2019 draft/trade deadline and some grouping out of all those prospects reach their ceilings it seems like the Rangers remaining cap flexible is going to become pretty important during that 3-6 year span where many of them are likely to need some type of extensions.
I suppose in a way a good problem to have lol... that would mean we wanna keep ALL of them.

Reactions: Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I suppose in a way a good problem to have lol... that would mean we wanna keep ALL of them.

I am hoping for good problems to have, I don't think it's unreasonable to hope/think that something like 4 of those prospects will require a pretty expensive longer term 2nd contract. Nor do I think it's inconceivable they will not be looking to add to that group over the next deadline or next draft.

If they are successful in doing so, that is several relatively expensive 2nd contracts along with some number of bridge contracts as well.

To me that is kind of step two in a rebuild, step one being to stockpile, then step 2 being 2nd contracts.

Allocating clauses and large cap hits before much of that reaches maturity seems like a good way to at least box oneself into bridge deals to those who should probably receive longer terms, and at worst cause some cap casualties among those they'd rather keep at that juncture.

Reactions: Riche16

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I am hoping for good problems to have, I don't think it's unreasonable to hope/think that something like 4 of those prospects will require a pretty expensive longer term 2nd contract. Nor do I think it's inconceivable they will not be looking to add to that group over the next deadline or next draft.

If they are successful in doing so, that is several relatively expensive 2nd contracts along with some number of bridge contracts as well.

To me that is kind of step two in a rebuild, step one being to stockpile, then step 2 being 2nd contracts.

Allocating clauses and large cap hits before much of that reaches maturity seems like a good way to at least box oneself into bridge deals to those who should probably receive longer terms, and at worst cause some cap casualties among those they'd rather keep at that juncture.
Absolutely.

I mean Miller is still what 2-3 years away and Kravtsov will be here next yr. Chytil, Howden and Lias are already here.

It's not like all of these guys will be hitting 2nd contracts at the same time.

If Kravtsov comes in and wows and we put him, Chytil and Howden on long term deals but bridge Lias... it's not the end of the world right? Pionk, ADA who knows what they are... but I'm not overly concerned there and the other D aren't here yet.

Like you said tho... that's stage 2... also in that stage is dealing some of those guys you don't see as part of long term.

Stage 3 UFA signing(s) to put over the top.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Absolutely.

I mean Miller is still what 2-3 years away and Kravtsov will be here next yr. Chytil, Howden and Lias are already here.

It's not like all of these guys will be hitting 2nd contracts at the same time.

If Kravtsov comes in and wows and we put him, Chytil and Howden on long term deals but bridge Lias... it's not the end of the world right? Pionk, ADA who knows what they are... but I'm not overly concerned there and the other D aren't here yet.

Like you said tho... that's stage 2... also in that stage is dealing some of those guys you don't see as part of long term.

Stage 3 UFA signing(s) to put over the top.

True DeAngelo, Pionk, Buch all have their entry levels end this off-season

Right now there is no way to tell when all those future entry levels will end yet we do know the group with Chytil will end right after the 2021 season.

I would not be surprised to see Kravtsov end the next season or one after, if he does come over and sign. There is talk he may come over near this seasons end and sign then. (Bad move for the Rangers in my opinion but possible)

Shestyorkin is going to sign as an older player, his entry level could only be 2 years if he signs as a 23 year old, only 1 year if he signs as a 24 year old.

I am sure there are others but I'm wasting a lot of work time today.

Basically if things go well, which is what we are hoping for, it's not like these 2nd contract should not be seen as on the horizon.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
In all honesty how do you justify Lias ahead of Miller Shesterkin and Howden? There’s no way he has the upside of any of those kids.

He has higher upside than Howden. Goalies are volatile. Miller is dominating NCAA but that doesn't guarantee he's going to be NHL player. Lias already proved he belongs.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Ppl are comparing him to pronger...I'm not really seeing it tbh...he's not as nasty, doesn't have the shot, and is way more mobile.

The only way the Pronger comparison makes sense to me is that they're both freak athletes who picked up the position (in Pronger's case, the game) at older ages.

edit- got Pronger's childhood confused with Jovanovski's. Regardless, I don't see the comparison at all.

Last edited:

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
In all honesty how do you justify Lias ahead of Miller Shesterkin and Howden? There’s no way he has the upside of any of those kids.
He has just as high of an upside if not higher then Howden, althought they project to be similar players

Reactions: darko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad