Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Draft: How Did The Sens Do?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I thought Ottawa had a decent two days at the draft, they finally picked a player I wanted & although I didn't have any of the other guys they picked I'm fine with it. The two defencemen pciked #26 & #48 seem interesting given they are friends & are going to UND together. I also liked the bios on the two they picked in the 7th rd & hope they turn into something although it's a long shot.

Zadina has the better shot no doubt about it but Tkachuk is not going to be taking to many wrist or slap shots from the perimeter anyway. I agree with PD that he will score most of his goals around the net & won't need a heavy shot to score. He will need to find the puck around & in front of the net & put it in net, or pass it to someone else to put it in, nothing fancy about that but equally effective.

My guess though is that he returns to school but if he doesn't it will certainly make things interesting for next season. It's another yr where Ottawa needs to sell hope to the fans same as the yr they kept Lazar for the PR factor & maybe they try & keep Tkachuk for the same reason, who knows.

Tkachuk with White would also be interesting since both seem to have a reputation as instigators. Batherson on the other side would create a pretty damn good line, if Bath turns into the player we all hope he will become. Formenton would add some much needed speed to a line with Brown & Stone. And they still have Duchene, Ryan & Dzingel who could form an interesting line.
All they have to do now is stay the course. It is all set up (more or less). Ie don’t go making Ryan or burrows deals.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Actually, the more than I think about it, the more I see Tkachuk as our Gary Roberts.

Unexpectedly very pumped for the season to start now.
People love to focus on the negatives and even go out of their way to be negative (tkachuk pick) but with all the quality young guys we have at each position now I don’t remember being in better shape overall.

For me, I have been high on several prospects and young guys for a while. I look at the depth chart at all positions and see a lot of potential in that team (but yeah, need to lock those 3 core pieces in KSD) if just some of them reach their potential. This draft just make the young players foundation much stronger.

I will add for the forwards ; A willingness to play in the dirty areas where not all players want to go. I am intrigued by Crookshank,.. maybe he ends up never amounting to anything like a plethora of picks in the later rounds, but from what I've seen and read on this guy he.. seems to have spunk and good skills.

And this is key, a problem lately is that many of our forwards were more perimeter players that relied on scoring pretty goals (Hoffman comes to mind), but if we aren't cycling enough, it reduces the opportunities to score those dirty goals. Many goals are scored like that in the NHL, we need to score in all kind of ways, particularly more this way. So we need guys that will pay the price in the dirty areas and keep the cycling going, allowing the guys ready to go to the net to score on a rebound, scramble, deflection, etc. Bobby Ryan seemed to be one of the few to do that and he played healthy just maybe 50% of the time the last 2 years.

Like Docker and Tychonick, but still can't shake the feeling we'll regret passing on Zadina.

Understandable, I wanted Zadina for a long time too (never thought we'd finish that low, so I knew Dahlin and Scehcnikov would be out of reach). We had the opportunity to draft Zadina but I think we won't regret drafting Tkachuk who I think will be an impact player, hard to play against in all zones, keeping the play alive in the right direction.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Hard not to give Dorion and our staff at least an A grade for the draft.

We trade down in the one spot we could maximize value (and boy did we ever) and wound up with four likely NHL players in our first four picks.

Brady looks like his father - but better. Picking two longtime teammates going to the same program with top pairing potential, Dorion and Mann killed it.

Gruden looks like a Pageau type of player, great 3rd line center, possible 2nd line talent when needed.

Personally, I expect all four of these kids to be in the NHL on three season. Lofty expectations, but they're going to great programs and the NHL and its youth culture shift, hard to think anything else unless their development goes awry.

Reactions: SensFactor

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I love that we got both Bernard-Docker and Tychonick, for the #22 pick.

This is key... So for Zibanejad and a 2nd in 2018, we got :

- 1.7 years of Brassard (and a long playoffs run) (cheap, as he had a 3.33 M$ cost per year)
- Filip Gustavsson (who could be a long time starter for the Sens, finally thank God?)
- Jacob Bernard-Docker (26th OA in 2018)
- Jonny Tychonick (48th OA in 2018)
- 7th round pick in 2018 : Luke Loheit (194th OA in 2018)
- 3rd rounder in 2020 : ???
- Nick Moutrey (probably won't amount to much)
- Saved money for several years (Zibanejad salary vs Brassard, then vs Brown?)

All these guys I think I would rather than Tkachuuk as high end centers or high end wingers. I would say I'd rather be drafting 1-9 next year than go with Tkachuk; personal opinion that means nothing

I don't think Tkachuk pushes the scales for Ottawa at all.

Makes no difference now, Tkachuk is a Sen, and he'll be a good one.

That's why Ottawa has to do everything possible to actually have a decent season and NOT end up with a top-10 pick. In that case, the Duchene trade is still worth it and we won't have to regret drafting Tkachuk at all.

Extending Karlsson or get good players that will HELP NOW is a must. Of course, we want to keep EK, but if they unfortunately have to trade him, that trade will be the most important one in history (and I'll be worried since the GM is Dorion)

Still very early for next year’s class. This time last year Veleno, Merkley and Wilde were all top 10 guys.

Don’t blame Ottawa at all for keeping the pick. Hard to know where they’ll be drafting for one, and also how well all those prospects will progress. Undoubtedly, though, 2018 was always seen as weak group of centers so next year will likely be better in that regard.

Yes but Center depth shouldn't be a problem for a long time if they keep Duchene and Brown pan out. Also have Batherson, White, Chlapik and Pageau.

We had to load up on D-men and Wingers and I feel we did that. The defense prospect group looks great now with Chabot, JBD, Tychonick, Jaros, Wolanin, Harpur, Lajoie, Summers, Englund, Bergman (maybe even Wikstrand)... Plus, Karlsson and Ceci are still quite young.

All they have to do now is stay the course. It is all set up (more or less). Ie don’t go making Ryan or burrows deals.

Ryan they can afford to keep for now (and frankly they need to keep some experience and proven effectiveness). Once 3-4 of Tkachuk, Brown, Batherson, Formenton, White and/or Chlapik, etc become top-6 fowards, then OK you can get rid of Ryan (maybe his last 2 years)

I would get rid of Burrows though (need a spot for a young guy like Paul or Chlapik) and would trade Smith for a pick (he turned 30 y/o and can be replaced by younger and cheaper). Gaborik's salary should also be disposed (36 y/o and went through a lot of injuries). Then try to improve the goaltending and defense short term (Methot back would be great). No future for Claesson on the team, try to get a pick for him.

Boedker-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Brown-Stone
Tkachuk-Pageau-White
Paajarvi-Chlapik-Pyatt
Paul-McCormick

Methot?-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Wolanin-Wideman
Borowiecki-Harpur

UFA Goalie???
Condon (I think he could rebound nicely but absolutely needs to be a clear back-up)

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Hard not to give Dorion and our staff at least an A grade for the draft.

We trade down in the one spot we could maximize value (and boy did we ever) and wound up with four likely NHL players in our first four picks.

Brady looks like his father - but better. Picking two longtime teammates going to the same program with top pairing potential, Dorion and Mann killed it.

Gruden looks like a Pageau type of player, great 3rd line center, possible 2nd line talent when needed.

Personally, I expect all four of these kids to be in the NHL on three season. Lofty expectations, but they're going to great programs and the NHL and its youth culture shift, hard to think anything else unless their development goes awry.

I'd love for Brady to be that good ... Keith ended up with 538 goals in his career. Being as good as his dad is a high bar to set.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I'd love for Brady to be that good ... Keith ended up with 538 goals in his career. Being as good as his dad is a high bar to set.

He’s gonna be a fine player. If you’re expecting him to be his father you are going to be extremely disappointed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

50% of these goals were scored during high scoring eras/years

263 goals in 588 games, 0.45 Goals/Game

But what is impressive about Keith, is that he was also scoring at the same exact pace in lesser offensive NHL years.

275 goals in 613 games, 0.45 Goals/Game

Which is why those guys are invaluable, they can score when it's actually hard to score.

But of course, we can't expect as much production from Brady as his father. The league was not as fast/quick, goalies were not as good and big guys could impose themselves even more back then (ex : I don't think Andreychuk would score as much today)

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Colin White is closer to being on the team next season than Logan Brown at this time. It won't surprise me in the least if Tkachuk goes back to school for another yr & Brown is in Belleville for most of next season, if not the entire yr. I also assume that Formenton & Parker Kelly will probably be returned to junior. That should give PD up to the trade deadline to move a number of players that have no future with the club after this next season & make room for some more prospects.

IMO PD should be be trying to move Burrows, Gaborik, Anderson, Pyatt, Smith, Pageau, Wideman, Pajaarvi, Boro & maybe Ryan over the course of next season. There are a number of guys who could be in their last yr with the club in Pajaarvi, Pyatt, Wideman, McCormick, Burrows & 3 guys in Belleville.

Duchene is also in his last yr & should be re-signed & we'll see what they do with Dzingel who is also in a contract yr. Stone & Ceci should be re-signed this yr for a longer term. That should clear up space for the following season where we could see a number of prospects pushing for NHL jobs including Brown, Tkachuk & Formenton.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yea if we really wanna succeed then we gotta let Brown spend half season or full season in AHL. I’d send Tkachuk to minors or OHL. I want him playing a lot even if it’s in lesser league than BU. 30ish games vs 60+20.

Sign Karlsson and show him commitment short-term by signing fillers like Grabner, Hickey and such.

Next year we have Brown and Tkachuk coming into the league ready to swing.

Absolutely sucks we don’t have our 1st. Atrocious.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t think we draft 1-9 next year
But even still I would take tkachuk and run. Get a first for next year through trade.

I don’t understand how you don’t think he pushes the scales but we will have to wait and watch the games.

I expect bottom quartile performance next season which means lottery draft positions 1-8 with low probability of getting 1-3 due to the lottery. I preferred Zadina however I am happy with Tkachuk as those two were rated about the same level and am looking forward to watching Keith’s son play as I watched Keith play for the Jets.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I expect bottom quartile performance next season which means lottery draft positions 1-8 with low probability of getting 1-3 due to the lottery. I preferred Zadina however I am happy with Tkachuk as those two were rated about the same level and am looking forward to watching Keith’s son play as I watched Keith play for the Jets.
If EK is moved I would expect a 1st rder as part of the package in return.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Craig Button's Analysis

"Tkachuk is a lot less refined and less polished than the other elite picks but the big raw-boned winger plays a hard driving, aggravating power and agitation game." - Bob McKenzie
Projection: Top Line Power Forward
Comparable: Matthew Tkachuk
uNkOMD.jpg

https://www.tsn.ca/brady-tkachuk-left-wing-1.1085759
4. Filip Zadina – RW – Halifax (QMJHL)

Projection: Elite Skilled Winger
Comparable: David Pastrnak
Button’s Mock: 4th overall to Ottawa
Skating: 4
Hockey Sense: 4.5
Goal Scoring: 4.5
Shot: 4.5
Competitiveness: 4.5

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Zadina is way more superior player then Tkachuk and you ALWAYS draft the best player available to improve your team.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Zadina will be better then David Pasternak book it. Tkachuk is lucky if will ever get to 50 points mark in NHL. Improved Smith. WTF?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Zadina will be better then David Pasternak book it. Tkachuk is lucky if will ever get to 50 points mark in NHL. Improved Smith. WTF?

No he won't.

At the same age as Zadina is right now (18), Pastrnak already put up 27P in 46GP at the NHL level (48P pace)

As a 17YR old, Pastrnak had 24P in 36GP in the Allsvenskan - a Swedish mens league. Meanwhile Zadina had 2P in 25GP in the Czech men's league.

It's a lazy comparison based primarily on nationality. Realistically Zadina doesn't have PPG potential like Pastrnak, and I think it's almost a guarantee that Zadina doesn't end up better than Pastrnak is now, as that would make him an 80-100P guy - one of the leagues premiere scorers.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It's a lazy comparison based primarily on nationality. Realistically Zadina doesn't have PPG potential like Pastrnak, and I think it's almost a guarantee that Zadina doesn't end up better than Pastrnak is now, as that would make him an 80-100P guy - one of the leagues premiere scorers.

Yeah, you're basically predicting he'll be a perennial Hart trophy contender.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If EK is moved I would expect a 1st rder as part of the package in return.

Big difference in quality between a pick in the top 5-8 (likely what we gave to Colorado - especially if Erik is gone) and a first rounder in the 20-31 range.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I would have given the number four pick to Colorado but having kept it I would have taken Zadina or any one of the next four defensemen drafted ahead of Tkachuk. With our second first round pick Veleno should have been a no brainer. Detroit got both Zadina and Veleno and it's no surprise that they're being hailed as the big winners in this draft. Wait and see.

Tychonick seems like a solid pick. Everyone else is a crapshoot. Maybe we get lucky with one of them.

I agree with Kyle Dubas that centres and defensemen have much more impact on team success than do wingers. Ottawa picked one centre, two defensemen and four wingers. All in all I'd say I'm disappointed.

Reactions: Cosmix and Mr Hat

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
I would have given the number four pick to Colorado but having kept it I would have taken Zadina or any one of the next four defensemen drafted ahead of Tkachuk. With our second first round pick Veleno should have been a no brainer. Detroit got both Zadina and Veleno and it's no surprise that they're being hailed as the big winners in this draft. Wait and see.

Tychonick seems like a solid pick. Everyone else is a crapshoot. Maybe we get lucky with one of them.

I agree with Kyle Dubas that centres and defensemen have much more impact on team success than do wingers. Ottawa picked one centre, two defensemen and four wingers. All in all I'd say I'm disappointed.

This is about my thoughts too, I'm happy we used the 4OV pick tho vs sending it to Colorado. Just relatively sucks who we picked with it. If we were closer to 10OV than 4OV I'd be very happy with BT. Detroit made out like bandits, pretty jealous of their haul.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Every year, the GM and scouts pump up the picks to make them sound great. Unfortunately, few of them pan out. The worst part is having to watch them simmer for a couple of years before we know what we have. Some of these guys won’ t be ready for 3 or 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad