Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Draft: How Did The Sens Do?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If there is a more impressive video out there of Tkachuk or another first rounder doing better in camp I haven't seen it so far. Until then I'll be impressed with this one.
people missing on zadina is the popular narratvie though.. chances are you WILL ONLY see clips of zadina doing this stuff from the big bloggers

Reactions: Deku

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If there is a more impressive video out there of Tkachuk or another first rounder doing better in camp I haven't seen it so far. Until then I'll be impressed with this one.

There are some very impressive audio logs of his incredible ability to conduct an entertaining interview.

Reactions: Uchiha

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The good news is that in a year or so the respectful posters will be back in here sharing how wrong they were and how stoked they are. It's hockey, we have so little information to go on at best, just get behind the guys we drafted until they give you reason not to.

All this Zadina stuff and Isles stuff is so smarmy and gross.

Reactions: Betax

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
I've never seen anyone on here admit how wrong they were but it seems pretty boring to just look at our players with rose colored glasses.Just because I'm talking about another player doesn't mean you can't talk about Tkachuk or something instead.It's your choice.

Reactions: Uchiha

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The order for the large 2nd tier of draft picks was debated amongst many scouts. Even many fans suggested trading our pick down to get extra picks since we would consider picks 3 thru up to almost 11 as similar enough to warrant getting more draft picks. When there is so much equivalence amongst the 2nd tier, it doesn’t really seem overly meaningful to complain about the order.

It’s a valid matter of preference for sure though and that is an age-old ongoing debate, so that will be a great one to watch. But projecting draft picks has about a 50% success rate for teams. So a baseline that is a flip of the coin amongst a largely similar grouping doesn’t give me confidence in a definitive declaration about the order. Our team really wanted one player in particular enough to forgo extra picks. Or perhaps no one wanted to give extra picks enough since so many were so similar. We’ll see. Over the coming years we’ll for sure need players like the one Zadina is projected to be too.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would have given the number four pick to Colorado but having kept it I would have taken Zadina or any one of the next four defensemen drafted ahead of Tkachuk. With our second first round pick Veleno should have been a no brainer. Detroit got both Zadina and Veleno and it's no surprise that they're being hailed as the big winners in this draft. Wait and see.

Tychonick seems like a solid pick. Everyone else is a crapshoot. Maybe we get lucky with one of them.

I agree with Kyle Dubas that centres and defensemen have much more impact on team success than do wingers. Ottawa picked one centre, two defensemen and four wingers. All in all I'd say I'm disappointed.

I preferred Zadina and Valeno too. I am not greatly disappointed in Tkachuk as the Senators need a physical power forward. Taking Bernard-Docker instead of Valeno seems to be a reach and I was disappointed in that pick. Trading down from 22 to 26 was very good.

Oh well. Time willl tell who was right. go Sens!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I preferred Zadina and Valeno too. I am not greatly disappointed in Tkachuk as the Senators need a physical power forward. Taking Bernard-Docker instead of Valeno seems to be a reach and I was disappointed in that pick. Trading down from 22 to 26 was very good.

I don’t mind reaches out of left field. We saw something no one else did.

There was a study done for the NFL draft (not one hundred percent relateable) but basically all steals in the later rounds (late first round of the nhl draft in comparable to later nfl rounds as they are projects) came from 3 types of players:

A) players from smaller schools (less scouts watched them
B) came off injuries (written off by scouts )
C) Undersized (see above).

I would put jbd in that A) category.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Everyone is pretty negative these days, but I think you're overdoing it.

I agree that Paul is nothing.

The rest we don't know. That's why they are PROSPECTS.

The assessment was that the prospect depth at C was “really strong”. Paul and Chlapik do not fit that requirement IMO. So two decent prospects only. That is not “really strong” to me.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What about Carolina though? Or is Zadina conceding that Svechnikov is definitely better than him but he is better thank Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi.

And would he not be trying to fill Ottawa's net if Montreal would have picked him?

Yes, but he would also be mad at Ottawa for not picking him. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t mind reaches out of left field. We saw something no one else did.

There was a study done for the NFL draft (not one hundred percent relateable) but basically all steals in the later rounds (late first round of the nhl draft in comparable to later nfl rounds as they are projects) came from 3 types of players:

A) players from smaller schools (less scouts watched them
B) came off injuries (written off by scouts )
C) Undersized (see above).

I would put jbd in that A) category.

I am hoping he is just that. I did like the way he moved across the blue line.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Tkachuk will work out just fine if Ottawa has moved to a plan of having a very large top scoring line, and Brown and Tkachuk add 15-20 pounds each and bulldoze. Unless you can really outskill your opponents, and that is very unlikely as a budget team, your top guys need force to score in tight-checking, which is almost all playoff games.

Tkachuk especially, and Brown for a 6 foot 6 guy have some finesse to go with the skill, and add a 2nd winger who can pound, and they could be basically a line of skilled power forwards. Add that to Duchene, Stone and Dzingel, and that is a nice top 6. Now just shore up the blue line, easier done if Karl stays, and you have something brewing.

Add Zadina to the top 6, and you have a mishmash with no real character, the kind that we haven't won the prize with in 25 years.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah I think time will show you they made the right picks.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The assessment was that the prospect depth at C was “really strong”. Paul and Chlapik do not fit that requirement IMO. So two decent prospects only. That is not “really strong” to me.
I guess that is dependant on the definition. Ottawa may not have four centres who are strong in the sense that they are all top 6 centres but I would argue that Paul has the potential to be a bottom six forward & maybe a decent to good 4th line centre in the NHL.

I also think that Chlapik has all the tools to be a decent to good 2nd or 3rd line forward/centre. My guess is that he makes the Ottawa team at some point on LW but he could easily step into a centre spot as a replacement or permanently should they need it. I guess we'll see with these two.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->