Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Draft: How Did The Sens Do?

BigCanadian

Mar 7, 2007
Kanata
The draft is over. How are you feeling about the draft? How did you think the Sens did?

I think the Sens did well with Tychonick and Gruden but will regret our two first round selections. Much better players available.
I agree. As everyone will say again and again, it is too early to tell, but I was really hoping we snagged Zadina at #4.

I wish PD had traded back a little more before picking Bernard-Docker at 26. To me it was a bit of a reach and if they had the opportunity to move back, I think they should have, despite the risk...

Only real concern I have is with all the players we drafted from College. Risk of them returning and then eventually becoming UFAs and we get nothing for them.

Reactions: Uchiha

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I give them a solid B. Really like the two D prospects and the goalie. Cautiously optimistic about Tkachuk.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Tkachuk is ok. Not the top of my list, but not the bottom, either. I have a feeling that he's going to get raked over the coals no matter what he does, though. Brady is in a no-win position to "save" the franchise in the minds of a lot of folks.

A little concerned with the heavy Jr A picks. Kinda feels like it's more of a consequence of a lack of scouts than truly picking the best guys available...or perhaps cheapness by having a bunch of kids slow-cook in the NCAA. I hope the kids turn out.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
I like the pattern of what PD is doing. He seems to be placing value on skating character, and hockey IQ. Mixed in with some good size. The top end of this years draft looks promising. Looking forward to rookie camp

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
They only took one guy who is playing in the CHL. I think there is risk to that.

Also they fanned on Tkathtchutckutuk and reached at 26 OA .

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
More variability to the development track. You don't know when you are going to get these guys in the actual sens system

I suppose. Mann suggested they expect the two D to move on from colege after 2 years, there might be risk of them trying to exploit the colege loophole, but I'd rather take the guy you think is the BPA than worry about that.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Tkachuk is the most exciting pick since Karlsson imo.
A couple notches above brown and chabot.
Draft was excellent. Dorion has gained some respect from me with that weekend.
I was worried we would take zadina over tkachuk. I’m not crazy about zadinas personality. Not that it’s a total deal breaker but another advantage tkachuk has over him. Guys energy and positivity will be infectious.

Unexpectedly very pumped for the season to start now.
People love to focus on the negatives and even go out of their way to be negative (tkachuk pick) but with all the quality young guys we have at each position now I don’t remember being in better shape overall.

So yes, I offer a high five.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Tkachuk is the most exciting pick since Karlsson imo.
A couple notches above brown and chabot.
Draft was excellent. Dorion has gained some respect from me with that weekend.
I was worried we would take zadina over tkachuk. I’m not crazy about zadinas personality. Not that it’s a total deal breaker but another advantage tkachuk has over him. Guys energy and positivity will be infectious.

Unexpectedly very pumped for the season to start now.
People love to focus on the negatives and even go out of their way to be negative (tkachuk pick) but with all the quality young guys we have at each position now I don’t remember being in better shape overall.

So yes, I offer a high five.
What he said

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I wanted Zadina, but my opinion has changed over the last couple days.

Tkachuk seems like a bit of a nut, and I mean that in a good way. One of those players everyone hates to play against. I've always wanted a guy like that on the Sens, a high skill rat type player. If he pans out it could be great.

Dorion has always been a solid scout. This is one area I've got some faith left.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Important draft for the team. Impact Power Forwards to me are worth more then a good center. Ottawa taking Tkachuk will be the best winger drafted by Ottawa since Alfie as far as organizational impact.

One thing we need to address is getting puck carriers to carry the puck into the zone. Turris, Brassard, MacArthur, even Hoffman could take the zone. Now we only have Duchesne to do it, Stone, Brown, Ryan aren't guys who carry the puck into the zone.

I know we are playing a trap inside a trap all of next season, but Getting the puck up the ice without EK is going to kill us next season.

Reactions: h2

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
#4 : I wanted Zadina but I admit that the Habs, Yotes and Sens (none of them are an offensive powerhouse right now) passed on him is a red flag. Tkachuk is a much safer choice to be a solid player, at least like his brother. Those guys help you win hockey games. A lot of people seem disappointed and make it seem like it was a reach to draft him at that spot but seriously I'm pretty sure he was 3rd or 4th on most teams list...

Ranked #3 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #4 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #4 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #4 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #2 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #3 by TSN/McKenzie

#26 : Looked a bit like a reach but seriously, they already got a FREE 2nd round pick by dropping down 4 little spots. I wasn't expecting him to be picked there but after doing the due diligence, he seems like a very intriguing pick. He has all the qualities necessary to succeed in today's NHL. Most sources still saw him as a high 2nd round pick.

Ranked #38 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #32 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #25 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #56 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #33 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #46 by TSN/McKenzie

Again, could have been happy with other prospects (like Veleno) but I think I will be high on this guy. Maybe he should have been ranked higher from the start.

#48 : I think this is the homerun for the Sens. First, that pick was acquired for not much, dropping from #22 to #26 in the first round and then picked up a guy with very good potential. A guy that could have went earlier based on most sources

Ranked #36 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #36 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #33 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #44 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #36 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #50 by TSN/McKenzie

#95 : another intriguing prospect. Another one that was predicted to go earlier in the draft. Seems quite interesting to follow

Ranked #72 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #90 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #84 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #53 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #46 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #74 by TSN/McKenzie

#126 : intriguing tool-set, we'll have to see how he does in the short term to realize what kind of potential he has. Not sure what to think for now but it's a 5th round pick anyway

Ranked #153 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #163 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #135 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

#157 : I'm high on Mandolese. It becomes immediately our 3rd best goalie prospect after Gustvasson and Hogberg. He's super athletic and agile. Can't wait to see him develop. Could be a beast. Another guy that could have gone earlier but that's the thing with goalies (because of the number of goalie jobs available), you can be patient and wait later in the draft.

#124 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #114 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #115 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #2 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Goalies)

#188 : Not sure about this one. It's reminiscent of Burgess pick 2 years ago. He was passed over in the 2016 and 2017 drafts. But we never know. If he doesn't get hurt, that would be a good start, and maybe we could see what he can do at the NCAA level.

Ranked #214 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

#194 : Don't know much about him so far. We'll have to wait and see for this one. Very young, I guess they drafted because they expect him to emerge as a true prospect.

Ranked #194 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #152 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

I like the pattern of what PD is doing. He seems to be placing value on skating character, and hockey IQ. Mixed in with some good size. The top end of this years draft looks promising. Looking forward to rookie camp

Yeah in all the scouting reports I have read, the main thing I noticed is speed, IQ and ability to protect the puck.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah in all the scouting reports I have read, the main thing I noticed is speed, IQ and ability to protect the puck.

I will add for the forwards ; A willingness to play in the dirty areas where not all players want to go. I am intrigued by Crookshank,.. maybe he ends up never amounting to anything like a plethora of picks in the later rounds, but from what I've seen and read on this guy he.. seems to have spunk and good skills.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I have a hard time questioning the Bernard-Docker pick after the scouting staff basically forced their way into drafting him. At the very least, you have to admire that kind of confidence in the kid.

Like others have said, the draft is like the only thing this organization is good at, and all-in-all I think we did a really god job, especially with the trade-back to pick up a 2nd rounder which turned into Tychonick, who fell pretty late and was a fantastic value pick.

Zadina vs Tkachuk... well, I guess all we can do is wait and see at this point. Two completely different players. Tkachuk will be the more valuable/irreplaceable guy if he hits his ceiling, but who knows how much more development he has in him. Could be a home run pick, but could also be fools gold. At least we didn't pass over Zadina for Barrett Hayton. :laugh:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Like Docker and Tychonick, but still can't shake the feeling we'll regret passing on Zadina.
I think we will regret not getting #2 overall in the Lottery way more than we will regret not getting Zadina...
A lot of it is about fit as well. I think Wahlstrom , who I thought was a 9/10 pick going 11 to the Isles will end up being a really good fit there with Barzal setting him up. He needs a C like that. Zadina is a good player but I don't think we missed on him

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I don't like we passed on Zadina but I still like the Tkachuk pick.
I love that we got both Bernard-Docker and Tychonick, for the #22 pick.
My favourite pick however was Angus Crookshank, like what a badass name, f***ing ANGUS CROOKSHANK.
From what I've seen, this looks like an excellent value pick.
All in all, other than Tkachuk over Zadina Excellent draft by Ottawa.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad