Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Draft: How Did The Sens Do?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
It was nice to have more than four picks this time. Keep building through the draft. Tough to not have our first next year, but maybe we can acquire one.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This is going to be a loooooong summer if people are freaking out over a 10 second clip of Zadina doing a drill that hundreds of non-NHLers can do just as well.

Reactions: Deku

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
If there is a more impressive video out there of Tkachuk or another first rounder doing better in camp I haven't seen it so far. Until then I'll be impressed with this one.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It was nice to have more than four picks this time. Keep building through the draft. Tough to not have our first next year, but maybe we can acquire one.
Why do people always harp on this that they don't have a 1st rd pick next yr? They used it to make a deal for Duchene. That's how trades work when you want an elite player, you have to pay the price. Which would you rather have the 1st rd pick or Duchene? It's gone, c'est la vie, let's move on.

There were multiple teams with a couple of first rd picks the last draft & a number with no 1st rd picks that traded them away to improve their team. That's the nature of the beast & the GM now has a yr to acquire a 1st rd pick should he deem it necessary just as he did this past draft to acquire a 2nd rd pick that people were so upset about that they didn't have. They have a yr to get one including at the next draft.

Reactions: ThreePosts

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Why do people always harp on this that they don't have a 1st rd pick next yr? They used it to make a deal for Duchene. That's how trades work when you want an elite player, you have to pay the price. Which would you rather have the 1st rd pick or Duchene? It's gone, c'est la vie, let's move on.

There were multiple teams with a couple of first rd picks the last draft & a number with no 1st rd picks that traded them away to improve their team. That's the nature of the beast & the GM now has a yr to acquire a 1st rd pick should he deem it necessary just as he did this past draft to acquire a 2nd rd pick that people were so upset about that they didn't have. They have a yr to get one including at the next draft.

My point was that if we’re rebuilding we needs all the picks we can get. We only had four picks in last year’s draft and we’ve already traded one of those players. We didn’t have many picks in 2016 either, and we drafted badly from 2012-2014.

If the pick we give to Colorado next year is a top five or even top ten pick, that’s not good for us. I like Duchene too, and hopefully we can get him to sign long term, but I think a lot of people are worried we are going to be giving Colorado a high pick.

Having a bad year when you own your first isn’t then end of the world. When you have a bad year and you don’t have your first that’s bad.

Reactions: Ed Wood

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My point was that if we’re rebuilding we needs all the picks we can get. We only had four picks in last year’s draft and we’ve already traded one of those players. We didn’t have many picks in 2016 either, and we drafted badly from 2012-2014.

If the pick we give to Colorado next year is a top five or even top ten pick, that’s not good for us. I like Duchene too, and hopefully we can get him to sign long term, but I think a lot of people are worried we are going to be giving Colorado a high pick.

Having a bad year when you own your first isn’t then end of the world. When you have a bad year and you don’t have your first that’s bad.
My comment was in general & not directed just at you. First, they only really decided that they were rebuilding after the trade & the 1st rd pick was already sent to Col & the disaster that was last season. They did make up with a trade at the draft that got them a 2nd rd pick & they have a yr to acquire more picks moving forward & some potential assets that could be moved to acquire more picks.

But so what if Col gets a top 10 pick, why is that not good for us? They are in another Conference, what does that matter. I don't see the relevance to them getting a good pick or player affecting Ottawa in anyway. They get a good player, then good for them, they traded a very good player in Duchene & were compensated with a fair market 1st rd pick for an elite player, as it should be. Personally, I could care less now what happens with that pick & what Col does with it tbh, it's over & it's gone.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Very happy with the draft. Tkachuk has lightened it up around town to the point that I may very well attend that scrimmage tomorrow. With White and Brown , and the friendships already established, it has made hockey feel fun and hopeful.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm coming around on Tkachuk, but I think I would have liked Detroit's selections more. Zadina and Veleno. Astonishing they were available where they were.

And the Isles completely killed it.. but not like OTT was ever in the position to pick projected top 10 guys back to back. I thought the Islanders might get some scraps from whoever was left over after the first 10 guys were gone, but nope. They got two straight up blue chippers.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Wait people are actually upset about that poverty clip from red wings dev camp? He looks slow as hell, his head was down looking at the ice half the time.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Would take Dobson or Wahlstrom over Tkachuk.

Getting both outside of the top 10 was a coup by the Isles.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Less than a week later, its official - the Isles have won the draft!

It's all over boys, pack your bags and head home. We have a winner!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad