Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Draft: How Did The Sens Do?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I have a hard time questioning the Bernard-Docker pick after the scouting staff basically forced their way into drafting him. At the very least, you have to admire that kind of confidence in the kid.

Like others have said, the draft is like the only thing this organization is good at, and all-in-all I think we did a really god job, especially with the trade-back to pick up a 2nd rounder which turned into Tychonick, who fell pretty late and was a fantastic value pick.

Zadina vs Tkachuk... well, I guess all we can do is wait and see at this point. Two completely different players. Tkachuk will be the more valuable/irreplaceable guy if he hits his ceiling, but who knows how much more development he has in him. Could be a home run pick, but could also be fools gold. At least we didn't pass over Zadina for Barrett Hayton. :laugh:

Craig Button's Analysis

"Tkachuk is a lot less refined and less polished than the other elite picks but the big raw-boned winger plays a hard driving, aggravating power and agitation game." - Bob McKenzie
Projection: Top Line Power Forward
Comparable: Matthew Tkachuk
uNkOMD.jpg

https://www.tsn.ca/brady-tkachuk-left-wing-1.1085759

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tkachuk is the most exciting pick since Karlsson imo.
A couple notches above brown and chabot.
Draft was excellent. Dorion has gained some respect from me with that weekend.
I was worried we would take zadina over tkachuk. I’m not crazy about zadinas personality. Not that it’s a total deal breaker but another advantage tkachuk has over him. Guys energy and positivity will be infectious.

Unexpectedly very pumped for the season to start now.
People love to focus on the negatives and even go out of their way to be negative (tkachuk pick) but with all the quality young guys we have at each position now I don’t remember being in better shape overall.

So yes, I offer a high five.
Dorion says a center called him and said he would like to play with tkatchuk lol. Why does he say dumb shit like that all the time

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Love the Tychonick pick, indifferent towards Tkachuk pick (I'm okay with either him or zadina, they're both going to end up being A Guy™). Willing to give Bernard-Docker a shot, its pretty cool that he and Tychonick will be playing together this year. But with names like Veleno and Berggren available at that spot, you can't help but feel a little disappointed.

Overall quite happy with the draft, its giving me a little more optimism with this team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We had a great draft.

Tkachuk is our best prospect. He wasn't who I personally wanted, and I honestly would rather have given up our pick and don't exactly agree with the Sens scouts, but right now with everything done, he's a Sen and is our best prospect. I will trust the Scouts.

JBD and Tychonick is a very big homerun for me, and one where I feel like the Sens got a lot of value. I personally wanted both JBD and Tychonick around 28 a few months ago, so to get BOTH of them at #26 and #48 a great for me.

For the Pittsburgh pick, should it be ~28, guys outside the top 30 or so guys I hope we look at are:

Johnny Tychonick
Jay O'Brien
Jack Drury
Blake Mclaughlin
Jacob Bernard-Docker

I think Drury is being slept on, it'd be swell to have our #33 right about now...

After this, I'd be lying if I said I had any viewings of these guys outside of Cape Breton, and I don't have any clue how to evaluate goalies, so I never count or look at them at either an amateur or midget level.

I do think we wasted at least our 1st 7th with our NAHL pick, but that's based completely on precedence and not on knowledge or scouting.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Craig Button's Analysis

"Tkachuk is a lot less refined and less polished than the other elite picks but the big raw-boned winger plays a hard driving, aggravating power and agitation game." - Bob McKenzie
uNkOMD.jpg

I pretty well agree with those grades on that scouting report, I might give .5 less on hockey sense but that's about it. A big key for Tkachuk's development is his goal scoring/shooting. People think that because he's big and strong, his shooting is fine but it's a weakness to his game right now. He doesn't get his shot off quickly enough at times, and hasn't shown accuracy, either [more of less just tries to shoots it hard, but often right at the goalie]. I prefer his vision and puck handling abilities to his shooting and goal scoring. If you look at how he scored this year, it was pretty well all goals from in tight. Rarely did he score with his shot [very different than Zadina who loves to shoot and had a ton of goals from beyond the faceoff dots]. There were a few instances, like in the shootout against Canada, where he picked his spot with a nice shot. That's with time and space, though. Hoping he can work on a quicker release and more accuracy. Goals around the net are great but he's a big strong kid with good hands; he should be scoring with his shot a whole lot more.

Reactions: DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Craig Button's Analysis

uNkOMD.jpg

If that analysis rankings are accurate, that's a good sign that Brady still has a fair bit of growth/potential to his game...or at least reaching his potential/ceiling. Hockey Sense + Competitiveness (aka, work ethic) is key to growth. Not worried about his shot, as he'll be a mucker around the net and likely won't be relying on a big slapper to get goals.

I still don't think we should be expecting him to be a top line guy at the NHL level....be happy if he becomes a legit second line guy, and ecstatic if he surpasses that.

Reactions: Cosmix

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
We had a great draft.

Tkachuk is our best prospect. He wasn't who I personally wanted, and I honestly would rather have given up our pick and don't exactly agree with the Sens scouts, but right now with everything done, he's a Sen and is our best prospect. I will trust the Scouts.

JBD and Tychonick is a very big homerun for me, and one where I feel like the Sens got a lot of value. I personally wanted both JBD and Tychonick around 28 a few months ago, so to get BOTH of them at #26 and #48 a great for me.

After this, I'd be lying if I said I had any viewings of these guys outside of Cape Breton, and I don't have any clue how to evaluate goalies, so I never count or look at them at either an amateur or midget level.

I do think we wasted at least our 1st 7th with our NAHL pick, but that's based completely on precedence and not on knowledge or scouting.
You would rather give Colorado tkachuk and take chances on next year?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Didn't like the Tkachuk pick, but I loved what we did the rest of the draft, and that kind of made up for it.

Getting JBD and Tychonick - two smooth skating D with top 4 potential - using a single pick 22nd, was great asset management by Dorion.

Didn't have JBD on my radar at 26, but I would have been happy to take Tychonick at that spot, so getting him at 48 was excellent value.

Loved the Gruden pick. Not a dynamic player but an effective one. He had similar production to Farabee this season in the USHL, who went 14th (and for good reason). Could be a steal.

Don't know a whole lot about the rest of the picks. Have to trust the scouts in the latter rounds given their excellent track record over the years.

Overall I give it a B.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You would rather give Colorado tkachuk and take chances on next year?
Hughes - C
Newhook -C
Lavoie -C
Kakko
Turcotte - C
Dach - C
Cozens - C
Krebs

All these guys I think I would rather than Tkachuuk as high end centers or high end wingers. I would say I'd rather be drafting 1-9 next year than go with Tkachuk; personal opinion that means nothing

I don't think Tkachuk pushes the scales for Ottawa at all.

Makes no difference now, Tkachuk is a Sen, and he'll be a good one.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Hughes - C
Newhook -C
Lavoie -C
Kakko
Turcotte - C
Dach - C
Cozens - C
Krebs

All these guys I think I would rather than Tkachuuk as high end centers or high end wingers. I would say I'd rather be drafting 1-9 next year than go with Tkachuk; personal opinion that means nothing

I don’t think we draft 1-9 next year
But even still I would take tkachuk and run. Get a first for next year through trade.

I don’t understand how you don’t think he pushes the scales but we will have to wait and watch the games.

Reactions: aragorn

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Ya I like it a lot. I like that we took Tkachuk even with Zadina available, and then arizona took hayten, it just reinforces my understanding that PD just loves tkachuk's all around game. Once playoffs come around we will really like a filled out 6-3 tkachuk just destroying other people. I mean he looks like his dad, just that brick wall look. Also I have heard Keith Tkachuk is one heck of a smart hockey mind himself, very approachable off the ice, just not on.

I might have put two things together. There wasn't a lot of talent up this draft from the WHL. Someone said it goes in waves. Also we picked two guys from alberta junior hockey and one guy from bc junior hockey (albeit later). Maybe there really was talent in the west but more defenceman are picking junior leagues like Makar did. Maybe.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I think Tkachuk, JBD, and Tycho are all NHLers, with John Gruden with the potential for more than a few cups of tea at the very least. I am intrugued by Mandolese's size and agility - his current stats irrelevant as he supposedly has no defence infront of him.

Tkachuk has the ability to be a bonafide star winger. Not one that scores a lot of goals (compared to Zadina) but does everything well. Total package Lex Luger. More tools in his toolbox than Zadina's (the best goalscorer from this draft class).

JBD-Tycho have immense 2nd pairing potential. With a good UND program recruiting them, this bodes very well for the Sens future. They immediately take 1-2 spots in Sens defensive prospect rankings.

Tkachuk is my undisputed #1 prospect in the Sens system.

Dorion, Mann, and company did well. I wanted Zadina because I didn't want to pass on a goalscorer. But Tkachuk brings more and he is still raw and developing.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Tkachuk, JBD, and Tycho are all NHLers, with John Gruden with the potential for more than a few cups of tea at the very least. I am intrugued by Mandolese's size and agility - his current stats irrelevant as he supposedly has no defence infront of him.

Tkachuk has the ability to be a bonafide star winger. Not one that scores a lot of goals (compared to Zadina) but does everything well. Total package Lex Luger. More tools in his toolbox than Zadina's (the best goalscorer from this draft class).

JBD-Tycho have immense 2nd pairing potential. With a good UND program recruiting them, this bodes very well for the Sens future. They immediately take 1-2 spots in Sens defensive prospect rankings.

Tkachuk is my undisputed #1 prospect in the Sens system.

Dorion, Mann, and company did well. I wanted Zadina because I didn't want to pass on a goalscorer. But Tkachuk brings more and he is still raw and developing.
Way to come around

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Way to come around

I wanted Zadina as I wanted a goalscorer. The more you look into Tkachuk's game, hear and read from/about him, the more you like this pick.

There is a reason for Zadina's "fall" to 6th - Tkachuk has has more elements to his game.

Really, splitting hair depending on who you prefer (goalscorer vs. all-around 1PF). I am happy with Tkachuk.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Tkachuk is the most exciting pick since Karlsson imo.
A couple notches above brown and chabot.
Draft was excellent. Dorion has gained some respect from me with that weekend.
I was worried we would take zadina over tkachuk. I’m not crazy about zadinas personality. Not that it’s a total deal breaker but another advantage tkachuk has over him. Guys energy and positivity will be infectious.

Unexpectedly very pumped for the season to start now.
People love to focus on the negatives and even go out of their way to be negative (tkachuk pick) but with all the quality young guys we have at each position now I don’t remember being in better shape overall.

So yes, I offer a high five.

What on Earth is wrong about Zadinas personality? You seem really confident about your assessment so what is the basis for that statement?

Also why the f*** do people care about personality so much?

Most of these kids do have good attitudes, and those that don't are still only 17 and 18 and have a lot of time to mature.

Drafting for character is the stupidest draft strategy and I don't get the premium that Dorion places on it at all.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Hughes - C
Newhook -C
Lavoie -C
Kakko
Turcotte - C
Dach - C
Cozens - C
Krebs

Yeah this is where I'm at. The pick we give Colorado has a good chance of being a significantly better player (1C).

I don't hate the JDB pick, like what I read about him, was just hoping for Samuelsson or Sandin. They got good value out of the trade down and to get a player like Tychonick as the additional pick. Excited about him most of all. Gruden should be a solid player.

The rest is meh. We'll see where they end up in a few years.

I'd grade the draft a C+. 3 good picks after their 1st. Huge whiff on their most important pick. Massive future implications on not having that pick in 2019. Looks like we could have locked up our future 2nd pairing in the JrA bros.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Devil will be in the details but I think we should have went for Zadina at 4. Getting a 2nd rounder and 26 for 22 was good too. That goalie prospect we got is good as well as that's an area we where lacking in.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
After the last two drafts and having Tkachuk Brown and White we should be working David Bowie's Young american into the warm up songs

Reactions: Icelevel

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Hughes - C
Newhook -C
Lavoie -C
Kakko
Turcotte - C
Dach - C
Cozens - C
Krebs

Still very early for next year’s class. This time last year Veleno, Merkley and Wilde were all top 10 guys.

Don’t blame Ottawa at all for keeping the pick. Hard to know where they’ll be drafting for one, and also how well all those prospects will progress. Undoubtedly, though, 2018 was always seen as weak group of centers so next year will likely be better in that regard.

Reactions: Deku

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I thought Ottawa had a decent two days at the draft, they finally picked a player I wanted & although I didn't have any of the other guys they picked I'm fine with it. The two defencemen pciked #26 & #48 seem interesting given they are friends & are going to UND together. I also liked the bios on the two they picked in the 7th rd & hope they turn into something although it's a long shot.

Zadina has the better shot no doubt about it but Tkachuk is not going to be taking to many wrist or slap shots from the perimeter anyway. I agree with PD that he will score most of his goals around the net & won't need a heavy shot to score. He will need to find the puck around & in front of the net & put it in net, or pass it to someone else to put it in, nothing fancy about that but equally effective.

My guess though is that he returns to school but if he doesn't it will certainly make things interesting for next season. It's another yr where Ottawa needs to sell hope to the fans same as the yr they kept Lazar for the PR factor & maybe they try & keep Tkachuk for the same reason, who knows.

Tkachuk with White would also be interesting since both seem to have a reputation as instigators. Batherson on the other side would create a pretty damn good line, if Bath turns into the player we all hope he will become. Formenton would add some much needed speed to a line with Brown & Stone. And they still have Duchene, Ryan & Dzingel who could form an interesting line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad