Post-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Draft: How Did The Sens Do?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I would have given the number four pick to Colorado but having kept it I would have taken Zadina or any one of the next four defensemen drafted ahead of Tkachuk. With our second first round pick Veleno should have been a no brainer. Detroit got both Zadina and Veleno and it's no surprise that they're being hailed as the big winners in this draft. Wait and see.

Tychonick seems like a solid pick. Everyone else is a crapshoot. Maybe we get lucky with one of them.

I agree with Kyle Dubas that centres and defensemen have much more impact on team success than do wingers. Ottawa picked one centre, two defensemen and four wingers. All in all I'd say I'm disappointed.

Our prospect depth at C is really strong though.

White
Brown
Chlapik
Paul

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
As of now, I'm mostly neutral on our draft. There are no guarantees on any of these guys and our late 1st rounder being a considerable reach by Dorion means he could easily bust. I don't mind the later picks, especially Tychonik, considering his link with JBD.

Imo, Tkachuk in particular will need to become a star for this to be considered a good draft later on.

Reactions: Cosmix

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
As of now, I'm mostly neutral on our draft. There are no guarantees on any of these guys and our late 1st rounder being a considerable reach by Dorion means he could easily bust. I don't mind the later picks, especially Tychonik, considering his link with JBD.

Imo, Tkachuk in particular will need to become a star for this to be considered a good draft later on.
Kinda how I feel. I think a winger really needs to be something special if you're picking him that high. I think Dobson and Hughes are both guys who are more likely to become top pairing d-men than Tkachuk a 60-70 point player. I'll gladly eat crow.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Oh wow I will definitely book this LMAO

Pasta is just a very rare special player. Zadina won’t reach those heights.

Hard to tell. He could and has the talent to.

Why exactly wouldn't he be potentially be able to reach those heights? They're not the same type of player though so it's hard to even compare in the first place.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Pretty content with the draft overall. Tkachuk will be a fine player and does bring a unique element but I do hope that we made this decision for the right reasons (highest potential upside) versus other elements like NHL readiness. I think that we should have tried to move Ceci for #10 (EDM) who were shopping it as Bouchard and Dobson ended up (somehow!) available at that spot.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Pretty content with the draft overall. Tkachuk will be a fine player and does bring a unique element but I do hope that we made this decision for the right reasons (highest potential upside) versus other elements like NHL readiness. I think that we should have tried to move Ceci for #10 (EDM) who were shopping it as Bouchard and Dobson ended up (somehow!) available at that spot.
Maybe it's still not too late to make that trade? Would love to have Bouchard on our team.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Too bad we couldn't get a pick for Andy.

Now that he asked for a trade, he's gotta go. This will be more problems in the dressing room.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree. As everyone will say again and again, it is too early to tell, but I was really hoping we snagged Zadina at #4.

I wish PD had traded back a little more before picking Bernard-Docker at 26. To me it was a bit of a reach and if they had the opportunity to move back, I think they should have, despite the risk...

Only real concern I have is with all the players we drafted from College. Risk of them returning and then eventually becoming UFAs and we get nothing for them.
Especially with the organization in dissaray.

Obviously no one really knows at this point if it was a successful draft or not. But i was pretty dissapointed with the selections personally. The trade back was a strong move but wasnt a fan of who they took in the first round.

One CHLer and no euros taken. Do we have any euro scouts left?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I suppose. Mann suggested they expect the two D to move on from colege after 2 years, there might be risk of them trying to exploit the colege loophole, but I'd rather take the guy you think is the BPA than worry about that.
4 picks in a row are college players and the sens are the least desirable destination in the NHL right now. I dont like it.

Betax

Jun 25, 2018
To me it felt like they were deliberately picking players who would not be coming here for a year or two at least. Made me wonder if they realized that bringing kids into the current environment could ruin them, and that they needed to focus on fixing the dressing room and overall team culture (and hopefully achieve new ownership), then look at a new wave of youth.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
4 picks in a row are college players and the sens are the least desirable destination in the NHL right now. I dont like it.
Look at it this way. There will be more opportunity for them to break into the NHL here than in other cities. That NHL pay is tantalizing.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Picking up a mid-2nd rounder to move down 4 spots was excellent value. Reaching for JBD at 26, not so much. Agreed with the above, reminds me of Englund pick, he was also a reach at the time, and our scouts were giddy about him, wanted to trade into the 1st round to pick him. But almost everyone else could tell it was a huge reach and a bad pick at the time. Oh well, we'll see.

Our draft could have looked fantastic if it went something like:

4. Tkachuk
26. Sandin/Beaudin/Lundkvist/Berggren/Noel
48. Tychonick
95. Gruden

Instead it's "just" a good draft. We really needed a fantastic draft.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Wonder what Sens scouts didn't like in Veleno given he's been ranked top-15 in all rankings. He has played in front of their eyes most of his career and Trent Mann probably knew everything about him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
There are quotes in the post draft day sun or citizen articles that things just fell that way with only one major junior player and no euro's taken. Said they were laughing about it at the draft table and felt bad for the euro scouts but had their blessing. No conspiracy theory.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Wonder what Sens scouts didn't like in Veleno given he's been ranked top-15 in all rankings. He has played in front of their eyes most of his career and Trent Mann probably knew everything about him.

Probably because he's a low-ceiling player. He can't score in junior. But he has a good chance to be a decent NHLer. He's been falling hard in rankings the past month, and most rankings were already set by that point so he was overrated in most rankings.

Maybe a Pageau type of player, not bad value at the end of the first but most think would rather swing for the fences at that point in the draft.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
If EK is moved I would expect a 1st rder as part of the package in return.
Not all first rounders are created equal. If EK65 gets traded for a package that includes a first rounder in 2019, then the Sens have the 1st rounder of a team that acquired him- Colorado has the 1st rounder of a team that finished 30th the previous year who just traded their best player for futures.

Now that Colorado has next's years pick it is a sunk cost. GMPD has to make decisions that make the Sens better in the long term- if that means Colorado gets no 1 overall thats okay. You don't want him making moves to make you marginally better in the Short-term to minimize that pick at the cost of being worse in future years. That pick is gone and anything short of trading EK to Colorado it is not coming back.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
This organisation becomes toxic towards not only Russians but to all European players. To pass on the elite sniper and pick up a bottom 6 forward. You have to be nuts!! And what 3 euros picked up in the last three drafts.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Picking up a mid-2nd rounder to move down 4 spots was excellent value. Reaching for JBD at 26, not so much. Agreed with the above, reminds me of Englund pick, he was also a reach at the time, and our scouts were giddy about him, wanted to trade into the 1st round to pick him. But almost everyone else could tell it was a huge reach and a bad pick at the time. Oh well, we'll see.

Our draft could have looked fantastic if it went something like:

4. Tkachuk
26. Sandin/Beaudin/Lundkvist/Berggren/Noel
48. Tychonick
95. Gruden

Instead it's "just" a good draft. We really needed a fantastic draft.

Meh. I doubt JBD was there for us at 48. We were lucky Tychonick was there. Maybe we could have traded back again to say 30ish and that would have been good but I think the sens were high on JBD for a good reason. Both him and Tychonick had incredible years historically in their leagues. JBD is a right shot, with okay size and is very young (June 30) - I can see why the sens were worried he'd be taken.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Both him and Tychonick had incredible years historically in their leagues.
Care to explain? Their numbers seem good but not incredible historically as you mentioned.

Edit: Tychonick is the seventh highest scoring U18 defenceman from the BCHL. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up better than JBD.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Not very good prospects at all. Chlapik will never play regularly in the league. Brown is very slow and horrible defensively . White is bottom 6. Paul is nothing.
Everyone is pretty negative these days, but I think you're overdoing it.

I agree that Paul is nothing.

The rest we don't know. That's why they are PROSPECTS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad