NBA 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Also Bjelica is a decent guy to have coming off the bench. Big guy that plays smaller and can score in bunches. He's not crap. Crap players don't drop 30 in a game.

Say Hey Kid

We retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Also Bjelica is a decent guy to have coming off the bench. Big guy that plays smaller and can score in bunches. He's not crap. Crap players don't drop 30 in a game.
I'm my phone so no link, but 28.84% of players in NBA history have at least one thirty point game.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Trade between Memphis and Sacramento

from espn.com

The Sacramento Kings have traded guard Garrett Temple to the Memphis Grizzlies for guard Ben McLemore, forward Deyonta Davis, a 2021 second-round draft pick and cash.

Temple, 32, gives the Grizzlies one more versatile, veteran wing as they reshape the roster to try to return to the Western Conference playoffs this season.

Temple averaged 8.4 points in 25 minutes per game for the Kings last season. Along with the signing of Spurs free agent Kyle Anderson, the Grizzlies are fortifying wing spots to support the return of point guard Mike Conley and center Marc Gasol.

The Grizzlies will be Temple's seventh NBA team in nine seasons.

The deal clears an additional $1 million in salary-cap space for the Kings, who now have $20.5 million.

McLemore returns to the Kings, who drafted him seventh overall in 2013. He played for Sacramento until signing a free-agent deal with Memphis in 2017.

Davis, 21, was the No. 31 overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft and struggled to gain traction in the Grizzlies' rotation.

I can't believe Garrett Temple is still playing. I still remember him vaguely in a Bobcats uniform.

I also didn't know McLemore was playing in Memphis last season. What happened to that guy? Several scouts were calling him the next Ray Allen at one point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I can't believe Garrett Temple is still playing. I still remember him vaguely in a Bobcats uniform.

I also didn't know McLemore was playing in Memphis last season. What happened to that guy? Several scouts were calling him the next Ray Allen at one point.

McLemore is a reminder that beautiful form doesn’t mean shit if your shot doesn’t actually go in the hoop.

Reactions: HisIceness

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Even after the signings of Bjelica and Ferrell the Kings still need to spend about 10 mil to reach the floor. I f***ing hope they can pry a 1st out of a team for cap dump(s).

Nice to see players actually spurn other teams to join the Kings, too. A nice change.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Further strengthens my point.

Not really though. That doesn't mean it's only the best 28% NBAers who have 30 point games on their resumes, just that over a fourth of all guys who have ever played in the NBA did it. You & I have seen enough mediocre players hit 30 in a knicks game, both for & against us, to know just how meaningless that can be. I mean Trey Burke hit 40 last year, and though the guy has talent, he's a bench scorer at best who's far from proving to be reliable in that role...and his D is still a liability.

I'd like Hezonja to progress enough to get brought back as a scoring wing who can play as a stretch 4 from the bench, but if we had given him term I'd be raging about the signing even if it worked out. What's exciting is not just that we took a gamble on a younger player with the length, athleticism & talent to turn into something...though that in & of itself was a good step for this franchise...but that we took this gamble without affecting our flexibility.

If Mario fails, then no harm done & we just let him walk/waive him (if he's being a problem in the lockerroom). If Mario hits & we strikeout in FA, then we've added a young talent around the KP, Knox, Ntilikina, the 2019 1st & Robinson young core. If Mario hits but we can get Kyrie or Kemba next summer, so there's no cap space left for Mario; then either we'll have improved our rep around the league a little by helping a talented kid find his way in the NBA...at least by showing that we're not as dysfunctional a learning environment as the Magic have been lately...or Mario will want to continue working with Fiz enough to come back on the room-MLE...or maybe even signing vet min contract so that we don't have to renounce him and can get his early-bird rights for 2020.

That appreciation for flexibility as well as the targetting of younger & longer players that we can mold, with a coach who has a reputation as a teacher, is what has me cautiously-excited about this regime in a way I haven't been since before I realized that Dolan would never let Walsh actually rebuild.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He’ll still get over 100M next summer...even if not 180

I have my doubts. He'd need to have a monster season to get over $25M/yr. More teams will have cap space but there are also going to be a lot of free agents because of all the one year deals.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I think Dirk's longevity/loyalty record will be safe as well, for a long time. Especially with the the mercenary style we've been seeing around the league lately.

Among active players Ginobili is next at 16 years, and he's already a year older than Dirk.

Haslem is at 15, Conley is at 11, then you have Westbrook and Gasol at 10.

So it'll be at least a decade before that record falls.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I have my doubts. He'd need to have a monster season to get over $25M/yr. More teams will have cap space but there are also going to be a lot of free agents because of all the one year deals.

There is going to be a lot more cap space because a lot of the bloated garbage deals signed during the 2016 cap spike will be expiring after this season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Dirk's longevity/loyalty record will be safe as well, for a long time. Especially with the the mercenary style we've been seeing around the league lately.

Among active players Ginobili is next at 16 years, and he's already a year older than Dirk.

Haslem is at 15, Conley is at 11, then you have Westbrook and Gasol at 10.

So it'll be at least a decade before that record falls.
Man Haslem shouldn't even count lol dude is basically retired and an assistant coach at this point.

I think if anyone has a small shot to touch Dirk, it's Westbrook. But he's 29 and will have to play until he's 40/41 just to tie.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad