NBA 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have no issues with what GSW did - as I said in the Boogie thread, improve your team by all means.

But I can't ever respect what Kevin Durant did. Up 3-1 and you blow the series, missing many key shots down the stretch in games, and then you actually go and sign with that team that just whooped you? It's the ultimate punk move. To me, and I'm sure to many (both fans and legendary NBA'ers) he will forever be the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" guy. That's not a good look.

Eh, it doesn't bother me much, but I think it's something he can still change the narrative about if it bothers him. Let him rack up that 3rd or 4th ring with GSW, and then leave to a young team in the East to take to the finals a couple of times...or even win another ring with. Like if that is his legacy with most people & he wants to change it, why wouldn't that move "change his legacy" the way going back to Cleveland to win a ring with them changed LeBron's?

...especially if he beat LeBron's Lakers in the finals to get that non-GSW ring in a couple of years...
What KD did would be like Joe Pavelski joining the Kings in the 2014 off-season.

Or like Cristiano Ronaldo going to Real Madrid :naughty:

Reactions: Melrose Munch

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
wait, i thought NBA front office personnel weren't allowed to speak about players on other teams

oh i forgot, that just applies the lakers

Jerry West not impressed by Lakers luring LeBron James: 'Not a tough free-agent signing'

can someone please remove the salt shaker from jerry's hand?
I see the pundits saying he's totally right, overlooking the work that the Lakers front office did to make this happen, from getting rid of bad contracts to drafting well.

Even if Jerry were right, the way he phrased his statement makes him sound a little salty.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
IT didn't help his own cause, though. Injuries were out of his control, but he sure didn't mesh well in Cleveland and wasn't all that good in Los Angeles, either.

Just don't talk about your next contract while you're still on your current deal. Get as much money as you can, but this stuff just comes back to bite you. Remember Derrick Rose talking about how he wanted the max on his next deal even though he still had years left on his then-current deal?

Reactions: cgf

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Miami getting Ellington back for one year, $6M is a really nice deal for them. Top 10 in 3PTM last season while shooting 39%. Yes, this is what I have to look forward to now while others talk about adding star players to their favourite team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IT didn't help his own cause, though. Injuries were out of his control, but he sure didn't mesh well in Cleveland and wasn't all that good in Los Angeles, either.

Just don't talk about your next contract while you're still on your current deal. Get as much money as you can, but this stuff just comes back to bite you. Remember Derrick Rose talking about how he wanted the max on his next deal even though he still had years left on his then-current deal?

I thought for sure IT would get the contract year boost JR Smith & Thompson got after playing with LeBrobn i.e when you surpass career norms and get a huge cheque as a result.

Funny thing about Rose is that he's still getting paid between 10-20 million a year by Adidas.

Reactions: cgf

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Miami getting Ellington back for one year, $6M is a really nice deal for them. Top 10 in 3PTM last season while shooting 39%. Yes, this is what I have to look forward to now while others talk about adding star players to their favourite team.
You poor soul.
I thought for sure IT would get the contract year boost JR Smith & Thompson got after playing with LeBrobn i.e when you surpass career norms and get a huge cheque as a result.

Funny thing about Rose is that he's still getting paid between 10-20 million a year by Adidas.
That Adidas contract is insane and not just for Rose lol.

Reactions: Avs_19

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

If Pat Riley wasn't such an egotistical douchebag you'd be having better luck.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

If it makes you feel better, talking about star players joining my team is how I keep letting my team break my heart year after year. Well that and SL hype, speaking of which...

...Mitchell Robinson is totes winning DPOY perennially from 2020-2024; as Porzi will win it in 2019-2020, before the two of them start gunning for Dikembe & Hakeem's spots on the all-time swat list for realsies :yo:

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Pat Riley wasn't such an egotistical *****ebag you'd be having better luck.

pat-riley-shhh.png

Last offseason was terrible and he might be losing his touch but it's hard to complain about him. If there's someone who should have a huge ego, it's Pat Riley.

If it makes you feel better, talking about star players joining my team is how I keep letting my team break my heart year after year. Well that and SL hype, speaking of which...

...Mitchell Robinson is totes winning DPOY perennially from 2020-2024; as he & Porzi are coming for Dikembe & Hakeem's spots on the all-time swat list :yo:

Ha. I don't know about all that but Knox is going to be awesome and they finally got the coaching hire right.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I see the pundits saying he's totally right, overlooking the work that the Lakers front office did to make this happen, from getting rid of bad contracts to drafting well.

Even if Jerry were right, the way he phrased his statement makes him sound a little salty.

all the things he mentions in regards to why lebron chose the lakers could also be said for the clippers

yet there are the clippers led by tobias harris

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Listen to Bill Simmons podcast that has him on it.

I love Oak, but I hate listening to Boston-boy shit on the knicks. Like I know we suck, but I don't wanna listen to him laughing about how much we suck, you know?

...but thanks, bookmarked to check out later :thumbu:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ha. I don't know about all that but Knox is going to be awesome and they finally got the coaching hire right.

If Fiz is all he's cracked up to be and the Perry/Mills combo can keep Dolan distracted, this will be the most exciting time we knicks fans have had since Ewing was still on the team...regardless of whether Knox & Mitch can ever become starting caliber players on a good team (much less stars) or whether we can sign (or trade for) a max cat next summer. So I'm gunna have to hold up on believing the hype...although I love what Fiz has to say in interviews & what other folks around the league have to say about him, so *finger's crossed*

As for Knox, he's exciting as f***. What I liked most about his SL was seeing how he responded to struggling without a PG there to set him up...like he had in the first two games, when Ntilikina played. It clear threw off his efficiency & he faded out of the game for a few possessions here & there, but he kept attacking & trying to make things happen for himself & his teammates, which lead to a beautiful behind the back alley-oop for Robinson against the Celtics.

That handle still needs to get better, he needs to fill out his 18yo frame, his shot needs to start falling as consistently as it looks like it should, his D needs polish, and he needs to stop taking off from so far away when he goes to the hoop...but I'm really excited by him & the attitude he seems to have.

I'm hoping for a bouncier Danny Granger if he develops well & Fiz is legit.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Fiz is all he's cracked up to be and the Perry/Mills combo can keep Dolan distracted, this will be the most exciting time we knicks fans have had since Ewing was still on the team...regardless of whether Knox & Mitch can ever become starting caliber players on a good team (much less stars) or whether we can sign (or trade for) a max cat next summer. So I'm gunna have to hold up on believing the hype...although I love what Fiz has to say in interviews & what other folks around the league have to say about him, so *finger's crossed*

As for Knox, he's exciting as ****. What I liked most about his SL was seeing how he responded to struggling without a PG there to set him up...like he had in the first two games, when Ntilikina played. It clear threw off his efficiency & he faded out of the game for a few possessions here & there, but he kept attacking & trying to make things happen for himself & his teammates, which lead to a beautiful behind the back alley-oop for Robinson against the Celtics.

That handle still needs to get better, he needs to fill out his 18yo frame, his shot needs to start falling as consistently as it looks like it should, his D needs polish, and he needs to stop taking off from so far away when he goes to the hoop...but I'm really excited by him & the attitude he seems to have.

I'm hoping for a bouncier Danny Granger if he develops well & Fiz is legit.

I think Fiz will be great if they're patient and the players buy in. Unlike with the Grizzlies where there were already a bunch of vets on the team, they appear to be giving Fiz a voice and bringing in the type of guys he wants. There should be zero expectations next season though because no one knows if or when Porzingis will even play. Hope for development of the young guys and another high pick.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Fiz will be great if they're patient and the players buy in. Unlike with the Grizzlies where there were already a bunch of vets on the team, they appear to be giving Fiz a voice and bringing in the type of guys he wants. There should be zero expectations next season though because no one knows if or when Porzingis will even play. Hope for development of the young guys and another high pick.

I think most knicks fans at this point are ready for a high pick & hoping that we see a lot of the kids along the way. "Worst case scenario" for many is that we win too many games after Porzi comes back :laugh:

So he's got time from the fanbase...though I can't speak for dipshit Dolan...

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
No, Joe Pavelski isn't a top 2 player in the NHL.

It would be like Ovechkin joining the Pens after 2016 or 2017. (he may not be top two but its a good example)
Well I mentioned that series since the Sharks blew a 3-0 lead. Similarly, the Thunder blew a 3-1 lead to GSW.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
pat-riley-shhh.png

Last offseason was terrible and he might be losing his touch but it's hard to complain about him. If there's someone who should have a huge ego, it's Pat Riley.

Thats fair, I just didn't like the "smiling faces w/ hidden agendas quote" - I get why he was pissed but he got 4 straight finals and two more rings from the best player in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad