NBA 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
KAT and Wiggins both have their issues, especially defensively, but in the NBA you have to try to keep those guys happy. This was supposed to be a good time for the Wolves but there aren't many positives coming from there.
As soon as they brought Thibs on board, I had a feeling this would happen. Then, when Butler came along, it was basically confirmed to me that he wanted to get the band back together.

This could be disastrous for the Wolves.

Reactions: Voight and Avs_19

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Especially since there’s no way to move the Wiggins contract so they could end up moving KAT only to be stuck with Wiggins & the 2010 Bulls starting lineup

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

"Towns won't sign his rookie extension until the Butler situation is resolved......."

By resolved does he mean Towns isn't signing unless they trade Butler? If so, that's one hell of a power play and it would mean things are even worse than anyone thought. The deadline for Towns to sign is October 15.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well, at least the T-Wolves ended their playoff drought last year.

Sucks it's come to this though, I thought they had a good thing brewing.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
Sixers named Elton Brand GM. Don't understand this at all.
Agreed. Ex-players such as Baylor, Isaiah, Jackson, Kupchak, Paxson, and Kerr have been some of the worst GMs/Presidents ever.

The T-Wolves have made the playoffs once and won 0 series since 2004.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

"Towns won't sign his rookie extension until the Butler situation is resolved......."

By resolved does he mean Towns isn't signing unless they trade Butler? If so, that's one hell of a power play and it would mean things are even worse than anyone thought. The deadline for Towns to sign is October 15.

I think it means he wants to see whether Butler is staying or going - cause if Butler leaves, he may lose the incentive to stick around.

Agreed. Ex-players such as Baylor, Isaiah, Jackson, Kupchak, Paxson, and Kerr have been some of the worst GMs/Presidents ever.

The T-Wolves have made the playoffs once and won 0 series since 2004.

Kupchak has a couple rings as GM.... he did pretty good.

Kerr wasnt that bad in PHX, the team had some good seasons.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think it means he wants to see whether Butler is staying or going - cause if Butler leaves, he may lose the incentive to stick around.

If the reports are accurate, KAT and Butler want absolutely nothing to do with one another.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Ainge, Riley, Bird, Dumars deserve some mention as a counterpoint.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I understand he wants to be "THE Guy" but you have to wonder if hes capable of doing so. Can he bring you past the 2nd round alone?

Agree 100%, I was going off whom he named.

I would of hired Brand tho.
I don't think Jimmy Butler is good enough to take a team past the 2nd round. He might believe he is, but he's going to be 30 soon and has never passed the 2nd round.

If I was a team with cap space, I'd be staying far away from Jimmy Butler given he probably wants max money AND to be the primary scoring option.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think Jimmy Butler is good enough to take a team past the 2nd round. He might believe he is, but he's going to be 30 soon and has never passed the 2nd round.

If I was a team with cap space, I'd be staying far away from Jimmy Butler given he probably wants max money AND to be the primary scoring option.

As much as I hate the Knicks, Butler's best option would be teaming up with Kyrie and Porzingis in NYC. Its a big enough market that he'll still get the attention he craves while being the 3rd guy instead of #1 or even #2.

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
...Kupchak has a couple rings as GM.... he did pretty good. Kerr wasnt that bad in PHX, the team had some good seasons.
They both inherited good teams (KOBE!), made them bad, and got fired. Name a good move Kupchak made after the Pau Gasol trade. The Lakers won 35 games last year and were still trying to recover from the horrible $136 million combined for 4 years contracts he gave Deng and Mozgov.

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Kerr inherited a team with the best record in the conference and turned it into something far less.

Reactions: Wrigley

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They both inherited good teams (KOBE!), made them bad, and got fired. Name a good move Kupchak made after the Pau Gasol trade. The Lakers won 35 games last year and were still trying to recover from the horrible $136 million combined for 4 years contracts he gave Deng and Mozgov and the Suns were the worst team in the league. That's how they got the Ayton pick.

Aside from Kobe, Kupchak pretty much built the entire 2008-2010 roster than went 2-1 in the finals. Afterwards he tried a lot of win-now moves that didnt pan out but it doesnt matter, he managed to convince Kobe to stay and got 2 rings out of it.

His later moves, i.e. the two you noted were bad ill give you that but aside from that he had a great run, shocker the team started to suck when its best player got old/retired.

Also :facepalm: the Suns being bad last season had literally 0 to do with Kerr, who hasnt worked for them since 2010 :facepalm:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Disagree with Smith. Lakers are a playoff team with Lebron but they're not reaching the West finals.

I never want to count LeBron out or sell him short but it's going to be very tough to get to the WCF with this current roster. A couple of the young guys will have to take some big steps forward in a short amount of time for that to happen.

Just look at some of the other guys they have to work with:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad