NBA 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
isn't it the same colour scheme from the 80's?

the yellow on the new home jerseys look like a cross between the showtime era gold and the 2000s-2010s bright yellow. i wish they would have just gone back to the gold but at least they didn't stick with the bright yellow

if last season was any indicator, they'll rarely wear the purple road jerseys (which are now completely messed up) i'm guessing they'll go with the sunday whites at home often with the yellow worn on the road
'

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Man, 258k a month... I don't even make 1% of that per month at my current job after taxes.

It’s not that much to be honest. It’s $3m per year when he makes $35m per year (salary and endorsements). So less than 10% of his salary goes to his kid. I’m sure a lot of parents wished that were the case :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It’s not that much to be honest. It’s $3m per year when he makes $35m per year (salary and endorsements). So less than 10% of his salary goes to his kid. I’m sure a lot of parents wished that were the case :laugh:

He only ends up with about half of that, maybe a little more now that he lives in Michigan and not California.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sounds like they really didn't want him around the kids.

...at least now we have that 1 Max slot opened up even if we don't move Lee or THJr...

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Noah's 33 now so he probably won't be part of any youth movement. Maybe he could go to a team that needs some veteran depth coming off the bench.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Did the NBA end up warning teams not to extend-&-stretch anyone this summer? It’d only open an extra ~4M for us, but I still wanna see some team see what the league will do if they try it. Cause the rules don’t forbid it anywhere and I’d love to see how the league reacted if LA did that with Deng.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Did the NBA end up warning teams not to extend-&-stretch anyone this summer? It’d only open an extra ~4M for us, but I still wanna see some team see what the league will do if they try it. Cause the rules don’t forbid it anywhere and I’d love to see how the league reacted if LA did that with Deng.

I don't think the NBA cares if teams use the waive and stretch option. This article does a good job of breaking down the Noah situation and why it's smarter for them to wait until after September 1st:

On one hand, if the Knicks are committed to stretching Noah, it definitely makes more sense to wait a few weeks. Before Sept. 1, stretching Noah means the Knicks would have to spread out the remaining balance of his salary ($37,825,000) over “twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one” (so, for Noah’s two-year deal, that’d be five seasons). Getting rid of Noah now, then, would mean signing up for a $7,565,000 salary cap hit for Noah’s services next year and for four more seasons after that.

By waiting until after Sept. 1, though, the Knicks would take the full $18.5 million hit for Noah’s 2017-18 deal, and then only have to stretch his final season’s salary ($19,295,000) over three more years (“twice the number remaining, plus one”). That would set the Knicks up for a smaller annual amount of dead money (about $6.43 million) that’d stick around for two fewer seasons, limiting their cap space only through the summer of 2021 rather than the summer of 2023.

Since the Knicks are already over the salary cap for this season, it’s not like stretching Noah in the next three weeks to reduce his ’18-’19 cap hit would provide any meaningful roster-construction benefit in the short term. By swallowing this year’s salary and waiting until September, though, the Knicks would be able to open up an additional $12.86 million in cap space for next summer, affording them much more flexibility with which to go big-game hunting in a free-agent pool that could include more than a half-dozen bona fide All-NBA talents.

By stretching Joakim Noah, the Knicks might create a new problem to solve an old one

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think the NBA cares if teams use the waive and stretch option. This article does a good job of breaking down the Noah situation and why it's smarter for them to wait until after September 1st:

By stretching Joakim Noah, the Knicks might create a new problem to solve an old one

I was asking about extend & stretching; i.e. signing Noah to a 4 year extension on the minimum & then stretching him after September 1st so that his final year is stretched out over a much longer time...netting Jo an extra 6-7M for being co-operative.

To Make Room for 2 Stars, Lakers Should Give Luol Deng an Extension, Seriously

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ah. My bad. I didn't even realize that was a thing. Yeah, the NBA probably tries to shut that down pretty quickly.

Thing is, it’s not against the rules and Boston has already done something kinda similar when they had a guy opt into two years where he wasn’t guaranteed anything, before stretching him & so gaining a couple extra years to stretch the cap hit out over.

Apparently a couple of teams grumbled about it at the time, but nobody pushed the league to do anything. It’s not technical against the rules & so the only mechanism for punishing a team for it is to utilize the league’s “cap circumvention” catch all; which requires most (or all) teams to push for it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He's right, but Tim Kawakami has always been a guy who goes against the team to make his stories. He bashed the 49ers and Harbaugh while he was there then did a 180 when he left. He's a troll when it comes to bay area sports.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He's right, but Tim Kawakami has always been a guy who goes against the team to make his stories. He bashed the 49ers and Harbaugh while he was there then did a 180 when he left. He's a troll when it comes to bay area sports.
I thought it was just that he didn't like Jed York.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Nick Young was arrested last night.

from espn.com:

Former Golden Stat Warriors guard Nick Young was arrested Friday night in Hollywood, California, according to online court records.

TMZ reports that Young was arrested on an obstruction of justice charge after he refused to cooperate with police during a traffic stop.

According to Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department records, Young was arrested just before midnight local time Friday and released on $10,000 bail about three and a half hours later.

The next court date in the case is set for Sept. 19.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Thibs is trying to get the entire band back together. He probably goes to sleep each night praying the Knicks stretch Noah.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Thibs is going to be the reason both KAT and Wiggins ask out. I can't wait for that to happen.

KAT and Wiggins both have their issues, especially defensively, but in the NBA you have to try to keep those guys happy. This was supposed to be a good time for the Wolves but there aren't many positives coming from there.

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad