2018 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
As a lifelong Reds fan I can say that Marty is as an important part of the history of the Reds as any HOF player or championship team they ever had.

I'm glad he was convinced to announce prior to his last season rather than just walking away on game 162 like he always said he wanted to. Gives the fans one last year to appreciate how much a quality announcer can keep you interested regardless of the product on the field.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

This is a great clip. You have fat Whitey Herzog and fatter Tommy LaSorda in all their 1980's polyester uniformed glory, Vin Scully reading LaSorda's lips, Pedro Guerrero throwing his glove in disgust, Tom Niedenfuer looking like he just walked in on Jack Clark f***ing his wife, and Jack Clark taking 2 year to round the bases.

I loved Jack Clark's swing. One of the best righty swings.

Sep 19, 2008
i'm getting pissed that talent isn't signing. taking harper and machado forever to sign and it's holding up the market. Longoria had a rant on social media about it and he's right. Sign these folks. Hurry the f*** up.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I do think Harper and Machado will sign before the season starts. Lorenzo Cain, a top free agent last year, didn't sign until Jan.25.

Sep 19, 2008
The notion that Keuchel, Harper, and Machado are STILL unsigned on 1/22 a few weeks before pitchers and catchers report is absolutely ludicrous.

Reactions: Voight

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
i'm getting pissed that talent isn't signing. taking harper and machado forever to sign and it's holding up the market. Longoria had a rant on social media about it and he's right. Sign these folks. Hurry the **** up.
Longo is dead wrong about why players are making less in free agency. It's all the cba, not analytics.

Reactions: Winger for Hire

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Clubs not wanting to hand out insane contracts is not the problem. And what teams are refusing to spend money?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Teams know the cba and know they have the advantage over free agents. Teams are waiting players out because they know teams aren't going to bid against themselves. The top free agents already know what deals are out there for them, and they want more which is causing this stalemate.

Players aren't getting the contracts they want as quickly (or at all) now because the teams that actually spend the type of money these fa's deserve aren't allowed to due to outrageous luxury taxes. Instead of promoting spending, the league is telling teams to go ahead and Marlin it up.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Teams know the cba and know they have the advantage over free agents. Teams are waiting players out because they know teams aren't going to bid against themselves. The top free agents already know what deals are out there for them, and they want more which is causing this stalemate.

Players aren't getting the contracts they want as quickly (or at all) now because the teams that actually spend the type of money these fa's deserve aren't allowed to due to outrageous luxury taxes. Instead of promoting spending, the league is telling teams to go ahead and Marlin it up.

That is not what is happening. What teams are actually Marlining it up? How many are actually affected by the tax or would be affected by the tax with an additional $20+ million? You have a handful that aren't spending huge money, but they also don't have the revenue to spend big money. These players are also pretty disingenuous, as even if a club like the Royals offered a huge contract to Harper or whoever, they wouldn't entertain it.

Only solution is to get rid of the absurd amount of years of control clubs have on players, the late-bloomers get absolutely screwed, or to put in a regressive tax on the low spenders to force them to a certain payroll level. Last year 25 teams had a total payroll of $100 million or more though.

The players getting screwed aren't the big stars, it's the players that are late-bloomers that never get an opportunity to get a bigger deal. Make it like other sports where you are guaranteed free agency by a certain age.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Cry me a river, it's not a threat to the game. The players and agents are just failing to understand that owners are no longer going to make as many bone-headed decisions. The day that Pujols signed with the Angels, everyone knew it was going to be a disaster, but now owners and GMs are finally not doing dumb stuff like that anymore.

The players just need to fight for younger players to make more money early in their career, and there is no longer an issue.

Kimbrel has a FIP over 3, he isn't going to get his monster deal, teams don't want to repeat Wade Davis. Keuchel hasn't been an elite pitcher the past 3 seasons, he isn't going to get an elite deal. Harper and Machado wanted 10 years, teams aren't going to give that term anymore.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Players need to negotiate age for free agency and payroll floors.

Here's the problem, they have already dug this hole as well as gotten no cap. They are going to have to somehow give something up in order to get either or both of those perks.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i am beginning to think these players/former players/baseball media are really..out of touch with people. Sure the owners are making more money then ever..and for the most part so are players, but players are also to blame in terms of FA as they want big money from just certain teams. I am sure both Manny and Bryce have vastly insane term offers from teams...they just might not want to be on those teams. There may be a strike/lockout looming..owners and players need to start thinking in terms though of the people that come and watch them

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
the players were so obsessed with getting a nicer hotel room, they forgot to ask for a bigger piece of the revenue pie.

terwilliger predicts the future: the owners will "acquiesce" and get that hard cap that they've had their eye on. tony clark will bend over and take it, so long as the players can wear different colored shoelaces if they want.

fans side with owners because "how dare the players want to be paid?"

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hoping this is the week Harper and Machado sign. Doesn't look good for the game that 2 top players are still unsigned going into February.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad