2018 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Saw that this morning. A lot of people seem to think this is pretty serious. What kind of penalties could they get hit with if true?
From a legal perspective, who knows. But the MLB did ban the former Braves manager for life for causes that seemed less than this.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
still remember that crazy run ziegler went on when he first broke into the big leagues with the A's

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
As has been reported, the D-Backs will listen to offers on their best players, including Paul Goldschmidt. Most con…

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm not going to go into tantrum mode because they weren't that good this year, but the D-Backs absolutely should sell Goldschmidt. He's a free agent after next year. I don't think he'll re-sign.

Corbin is a free agent. Pollock is a free agent. Buchholz is a free agent. Escobar is a free agent. I think they're all bolting.

Mathis, Descalso, Jay, Diekman and Delgado are all free agents as well. Ziegler retired.

I think they should go for a full scorched rebuild. Eat money on Greinke and trade him too. Out of those free agents, I think only Mathis and Descalso will be re-signed. Maybe try a sell high on Peralta as well, but I doubt it. Get Boxberger away from Arizona.

If Goldschmidt is traded, without any free agent signings or MLB players returning from the Goldy trade (and/or Greinke and/or Peralta trade):

C- Avila
1B- Descalso
2B- Marte
SS- Ahmed
3B- Lamb
LF- Tomas
CF- Owings
RF- Souza

SP1- Ray
SP2- Godley
SP3- Miller
SP4- Koch
SP5- just sign someone from the bargain bin

#1stpick2020

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Goldschmidt should press rape charges on the Dbacks for that joke of a deal (from his side). But he only has himself to blame. At 32, when he hits free agency after next year, he won't get that megastar contract.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Goldschmidt should press rape charges on the Dbacks for that joke of a deal (from his side). But he only has himself to blame. At 32, when he hits free agency after next year, he won't get that megastar contract.

The deal was clearly consensual so don’t really think he has a case here. I don’t want to victim shame here but like you said he really has only himself to blame even if he was pressured into it.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

They put a gun to his head and made him sign it?

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I think Seattle makes too much sense for Goldschmidt, but I don't think they have the prospects.

What if they’re willing to take Greinke with some obvious retention along with Goldy. M’s always need pitching.

DBacks would have an entirely clean slate and some good compensation picks on the way.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Only if they don't re-sign Cruz. I don't see them paying big money to Goldy if Cano and Cruz are making big money with other guys due raises soon.

At his age, Cruz at most is getting something like two for $25M total.

What if they’re willing to take Greinke with some obvious retention along with Goldy. M’s always need pitching.

DBacks would have an entirely clean slate and some good compensation picks on the way.

Interesting idea.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If Mariners get Goldy he better come with an extension.

Pavin Smith is the future in Arizona but we probably won't see him til mid 2020 at the earliest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad