2018 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Penny's brother, Garry Marshall was also in A League of their Own as Walter Harvey - candy bar mogul and AAGPBL founder. He passed in 2016 at the age of 81.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
I like what the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers do. If there were more teams like them then the middle of the free agent market wouldn't be as dead as it is.

Owners are making more money than they ever have. I would rather the guys I actually give a damn about be compensated fairly.

this is ultimately my point.

the money is there. we've seen caps put on the draft and international spending and now what's being treated as a cap by teams who actually want to make their teams better. if you spend too much money, they'll keep hitting you until it hurts.

if you're going to tax the teams who actually give a shit, you have to do something about the teams who do nothing but collect money.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
to fill that out, joe sheehan had a newsletter about a month ago which outlined what teams make before they even open the park.

broadcast rights for fox, espn and turner net teams about 50 million dollars before a ticket is sold. even teams that aren't on these networks get the same cut. sheehan brings up the marlins and the yankees. the yankees were on sunday night baseball five times (seemed like a lot more) and received 22 million dollars from espn. the marlins appeared zero times on sunday night baseball and received 22 million dollars. it doesn't matter, you get paid. plus, factor in your local tv deal (anywhere from 20-30 million dollars) and mlbam/bamtech whatever you want to call it, and you're clearing 100 million dollars before anyone parks a car.

the point is: there are teams who want to use this money to make their team better and they're being hamstrung. sure, smarter front offices play into it. you're paying guaranteed money. but again, this is taxing teams who want to win while ignoring the teams who are in year 14 of a "3 year rebuild" or who sold off anything not nailed down (or in the marlins' case, gave away what was nailed down with f***ing adamantium nails). soon, it's going to be time's up for the astros when bregman needs to be paid more than 599k for his work. and that's the point. they've shortened the market, stuck all the value on using guys when they're not being paid and then when it comes time for them to be paid..."well, it's just a tough market now and we need to get under the cbt" f*** every inch of that.

Reactions: CPTN71

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Sounds like something the players should hold out for to resolve during the next CBA negotiations. They probably won't though because the different tiers of players have different motives, so getting them all to agree on what's most beneficial to every player is nearly impossible. Every inch the players association gives, the owners will try to take a mile, and often do.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
At least your Phillies should still be decent club

My White Sox couldn't convince almost every FA they targeted to come to Chicago and then made a god awful deal to help Indians out of financial trouble

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Has anything been reported about him wanting to play only SS or is he ok playing 3B. That’s the only way I see the Yankees fitting him in and I believe the report that they don’t want to go over the $300 mil mark.

With Didi out he'll play SS and either way you make it work for a player of his calibre.

They definitely won't go over the $300 M mark, I really cannot see anyone giving Machado more than 30, Imo hell end up with something close to Stanton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad