2018 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Saw the Blue Jays signed Galvis, at least a team is signing someone. Feb.1 tomorrow and Harper and Machado are still out there.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, taxpayer funded ballparks, those are always good. In all seriousness it could be the players want to much, I agree. MLB is the only major sports league that doesn't have a salary cap. That might be the reason free agents aren't signing ths year

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
owners love salary caps. it means that there's only so much money they're allowed to spend. the rest goes in their pockets.

you know, like the draft caps, international free agency caps and salary cap competitive balance tax that mlb has.

the last thing fans should want is a salary cap.

Reactions: Winger for Hire

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
owners love salary caps. it means that there's only so much money they're allowed to spend. the rest goes in their pockets.

you know, like the draft caps, international free agency caps and salary cap competitive balance tax that mlb has.

the last thing fans should want is a salary cap.

If you cheer for the Yankees or Red Sox, maybe.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
If you cheer for the Yankees or Red Sox, maybe.

why?

do you think that "cost-cutting" and scrimping and saving and hoping that your team can afford that reliever is really something that other teams need to do? they make tens of millions of dollars before they sell a ticket these days between bam and the various tv deals. the idea that them not spending that money on the roster, that it's somehow going to trickle down to the fans is laughable.

all of these teams can afford to pay free agents! all of them! somehow they've now conditioned the fan to hate the player for daring to make money while he's able to walk upright and play the game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
why?

do you think that "cost-cutting" and scrimping and saving and hoping that your team can afford that reliever is really something that other teams need to do? they make tens of millions of dollars before they sell a ticket these days between bam and the various tv deals. the idea that them not spending that money on the roster, that it's somehow going to trickle down to the fans is laughable.

all of these teams can afford to pay free agents! all of them! somehow they've now conditioned the fan to hate the player for daring to make money while he's able to walk upright and play the game.

I’m fully aware that’s how it is and I know it’s BS.

But as a fan who doesn’t support big-marker teams in any sport, the NHL/NBA model where all 30 teams have a crack is far better than the MLB model where 5 teams will basically win in perpetuity. Having parity is far more important to me than which millionaires are making more money.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver

But as a fan who doesn’t support big-marker teams in any sport, the NHL/NBA model where all 30 teams have a crack is far better than the MLB model where 5 teams will basically win in perpetuity. Having parity is far more important to me than which millionaires are making more money.

Fake news.

Mlb has the best parity of any sport. Did you really just say any nba has a crack, is that a joke? I guess any team Lebron is on and 2 others at any time and even that’s been stretching it the past 4 years.

In the last 10 years these MLB teams have made the finals:

Boston
LA Dodgers
Chicago Cubs
Houston
Cleveland
St Louis
Texas
San Francisco
Kansas City
New York Mets
Philadelphia
New York Yankees
Detroit

The Blue Jays had back to back conference finals appaearnces and lost to small market central teams both times. The A’s and Twins made the playoffs the last two years and Milwaukee almost made the World Series last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Tell that to St Louis Cardinals and Cleveland Indians who have had sustained success. Royals won the series and Rays have had some excellent seasons. Brewers last season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Tell that to St Louis Cardinals and Cleveland Indians who have had sustained success. Royals won the series and Rays have had some excellent seasons. Brewers last season.
Cardinals are an exception, in baseball terms they are much closer to big market because of the organization structure and fanbase. Like the Red Wings in their glory days before the cap. The Royals and Rays had short stretches because they could retain their talent, and the Rays never won, just some good years because of drafting. MLB has more big spending teams and in recent years the model has shifted to younger talent and you've seen the big clubs shift that direction as well, which hurts the smaller clubs because now they've lost the area they could succeed in.

NFL and NHL have great parity due to the cap. NBA is different because it comes down to luck at drafting the superstars, which is what it's always been. Whoever can draft the best and collect multiple superstars will dominate, it's a league of dynasties, it's the nature of the game, but that also means any team has the ability to win, just a few teams in a stretch can actually compete. It's no guarantee who those teams are though. 10 years from now, we won't know who will dominate the NBA, where as in baseball, we have a good idea of what teams will be near the top of the standings.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The thing that gets lost though, is the conversation shouldn't be driven about players like Harper and Machado not getting $300M+ over 10 years, the conversation should be driven about guys like Whit Merrifield never really having an opportunity of getting a big deal just because he didn't break through until 27. Players like that need to have more control to earn a contract that represents their value. Team control of players is the issue.

That'll mean that players like Pujols won't get their insane contracts, but late-bloomers need to be able to cash in on their good years.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fake news.

Mlb has the best parity of any sport. Did you really just say any nba has a crack, is that a joke? I guess any team Lebron is on and 2 others at any time and even that’s been stretching it the past 4 years.

In the last 10 years these MLB teams have made the finals:

Boston
LA Dodgers
Chicago Cubs
Houston
Cleveland
St Louis
Texas
San Francisco
Kansas City
New York Mets
Philadelphia
New York Yankees
Detroit

The Blue Jays had back to back conference finals appaearnces and lost to small market central teams both times. The A’s and Twins made the playoffs the last two years and Milwaukee almost made the World Series last year.

You realize, most of the clubs on that list are big revenue clubs, right?

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad