2018 MLB off-season news & notes discussion thread

Sep 19, 2008
Hoping this is the week Harper and Machado sign. Doesn't look good for the game that 2 top players are still unsigned going into February.

there really is no f***ing reason for the holdup. over 100 free agents are still unsigned. MAKE MOVES.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What is the point of your reply?

Analytics actually back up the fact players aren't getting paid enough. They aren't having any impact on teams waiting players out.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i mean, i understand it at a certain level. "we don't want to spend money because then we'd have less money overall than we had before" and the dodgers have spent a lot of money since the new owners came to town.

i don't fault big market teams as much for wanting to fall under the stupid cbt and reset their penalty structure. it's infuriating to hear like on the effectively wild podcast they talk about teams doing that to avoid "paying 12 million dollars in fines. i mean, it's only 12 million dollars" and i'm listening like "dude that's a lot of f***ing money that they're spending in addition to the money they're spending on the player to make the team better! it's a tax on a team for wanting to not be shitty!"

guys like nutting, jetes (and his conglomerate) and that should be forced to answer why they're not spending. there was an article on the athletic today again wondering why the pirates aren't spending any money. their payroll is like 79 million dollars and filled with pre arb players that everyone and their brother knows they sure as shit aren't going to pay.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
i mean, i understand it at a certain level. "we don't want to spend money because then we'd have less money overall than we had before" and the dodgers have spent a lot of money since the new owners came to town.

i don't fault big market teams as much for wanting to fall under the stupid cbt and reset their penalty structure. it's infuriating to hear like on the effectively wild podcast they talk about teams doing that to avoid "paying 12 million dollars in fines. i mean, it's only 12 million dollars" and i'm listening like "dude that's a lot of ****ing money that they're spending in addition to the money they're spending on the player to make the team better! it's a tax on a team for wanting to not be ****ty!"

guys like nutting, jetes (and his conglomerate) and that should be forced to answer why they're not spending. there was an article on the athletic today again wondering why the pirates aren't spending any money. their payroll is like 79 million dollars and filled with pre arb players that everyone and their brother knows they sure as **** aren't going to pay.
I genuinely think Marlins are bleeding money tbh. But I blame that on previous regime lying, scamming and not investing in the product.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think the Reds could be a team to watch for this yr. Making a lot of good moves. They get Realmuto they could flirt with 90 wins.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think the Reds could be a team to watch for this yr. Making a lot of good moves. They get Realmuto they could flirt with 90 wins.
They've made good moves without giving up top-notch prospects. Acquiring Realmuto would change that.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I'm not giving up a top tier prospect to improve the catcher situation. Reds moves to date make them competitive enough to stop the attendance bleeding which is vital to the team. Realmuto doesn't push them over the top but kills their future given how few MLBers the Reds system has produced the last several years. They really need their top prospects to develop into cheap reliable everyday players. A starting pitcher maybe, but I'm not giving up quality propects for catcher.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

Not in that division. I'm confused as to what the Reds are doing this offseason. I get wanting to win while Votto is still really good, but I don't think it's time to try to win now. I'd "tank" for another high pick.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Not in that division. I'm confused as to what the Reds are doing this offseason. I get wanting to win while Votto is still really good, but I don't think it's time to try to win now. I'd "tank" for another high pick.
They're trying to be interesting enough to get butts in seats. They improved a little this offseason, but not enough to compete.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
They're trying to be interesting enough to get butts in seats. They improved a little this offseason, but not enough to compete.

I get that they want to be respectable in terms of attendance, but teams with super high draft picks have been doing pretty well lately. I'd rather be picking in the top five than miss the playoffs with 75-80 wins.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
2018 Reds attendance dropped about 800,000 from 2015 levels and was the worst since 1984. Five top ten draft picks the last ten years for sucking. Ownership realized (finally) it takes more than fireworks and bobbleheads to keep Reds fans coming to the game. That's what all of these moves are doing, just giving a glimmer of hope.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If the rumors are true about the package the Marlins have been asking other teams for Realmuto, I'd be nervous if I were a Reds fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad