2018 Management Discussion, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Your comparison doesn't make sense. Do you prefer hockey players who can do the job but are inexperienced or experienced players who don't know how to do the job?

He's saying that "mentoring" is not actually a tough job and that it is stupid to assume that role players are the best mentors and stupid to let them guide our prospects. I strongly agree with that.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
And the most public examples of 'mentoring' in Canucks history would be Messier->Naslund and Sundin->Kesler. All other Messier negatives aside he still produced here as a 2nd line C, so there's the common thread of veteran talent playing on and contributing to the same line as the young player.

Which is generally how everyone else does. Not sure how Jay Beagle or Brandon Sutter are supposed to help Elias Pettersson, but this seems like Benning's own unique special strategy much like the "age gap" thing he was always after in his first few seasons.

Precisely.

I don't recall anyone mocking the idea of th Sedins as mentors. But the idea of Quinn Hughes being mentored by the likes of Erik Gudbranson is comical and a little nauseating.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
His plan is very similar to my retirement plan.....win the Lotto. Next step is to actually acquire more prospects...errrrrr....tickets.
His plan could work, you just have to wait to see if the lotto tickets win. You need to wait another 5 to see if the ones he gets in a few years work. You can't judge him that his first 5 years of lottery tickets didn't work, you don't know the ones he hasn't bought yet won't work! And even if they don't work you don't the the ones he will buy in 5-10 years won't work. so there.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
i feel like a guy like tobias rieder would have been a very good acquisition, before free agency i thought he was significantly better than rousell and the fact that we could have gotten him for a significantly better contract is just hilarious.
Tunnel Vision Jim has tunnel vision.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
And the most public examples of 'mentoring' in Canucks history would be Messier->Naslund and Sundin->Kesler. All other Messier negatives aside he still produced here as a 2nd line C, so there's the common thread of veteran talent playing on and contributing to the same line as the young player.

Which is generally how everyone else does. Not sure how Jay Beagle or Brandon Sutter are supposed to help Elias Pettersson, but this seems like Benning's own unique special strategy much like the "age gap" thing he was always after in his first few seasons.

People have been so blasted with hockey cliches they have come to accept them as truisms.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
His plan could work, you just have to wait to see if the lotto tickets win. You need to wait another 5 to see if the ones he gets in a few years work. You can't judge him that his first 5 years of lottery tickets didn't work, you don't know the ones he hasn't bought yet won't work! And even if they don't work you don't the the ones he will buy in 5-10 years won't work. so there.
Let me adjust my pro-Benning eyeglasses......there we go.....makes perfect sense!!

desiboyyessir

Nov 2, 2017
looks like Arizona made a decent move, something Benning should have done. Oh well look out we still got two over priced grinders with a over-rated d-man in Gubranson.

homers will tell you the direction of this team is fine, however, logical fans (eg trolls) will tell you we are screwed under Benning and Linden.

well what would be better?

A) trading For a contract and gaining assets picks, young prospect?
B) Signing two grinders for horrible contracts?

burn baby burn babyyyy ohhhhhh burn, the tire fire that is the Vancouver Canucks' continues to burn, still no real direction. LOL more grinders!

Reactions: Hollywood Burrows

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
This is what I find fascinating about the evaluation of management action. When the return isn't enough, it's because no one was offering more. When the team is consistently in the basement, it's because there weren't any prospects and 'rebuilds' take time. When Benning pays too much, it's the market rate.

When does something happen against the expected timeline or expectation? Or, is it all fated to happen this way regardless of who is in charge?

This is spot on. This is how plausible deniability takes hold when you look at things on a transaction by transaction basis. But when looked at on the whole, there is no defending management's record.

Reactions: MS

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Lil Jim they dont like to see you winnin
tumblr_owle4cDUxP1qgz1poo1_500.gif

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I mean, I guess anybody could look at the Canucks' roster and figure out that guys like Leipsic and Goldobin might end up on waivers this fall. Jim is just so guileless in his dealings with the media, it's incredible

Reactions: Jyrki21

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
To be fair he just stating the obvious, but sometimes it is better to say nothing of BS about a plan and not you don't get exposed.

Some kind should ask him if he will send Beagle, Roussel or Schaller down if they get outplayed, or would he rather lose the young players that outplayed his new guys to waivers.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Z5gcVXn.png

Benning literally just came out and said that teams could have the fringe players (Goldobin, Leipsic, Granlund) for free if they wait long enough. This man is running a hockey team.

"Hey everyone, wait me out and you get good things for free! But please, instead of doing that, give me stuff for my things".

Jesus Christ almighty.....I wouldn't want this guy in charge of a f***ing Wendys and hes the GM of this team.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He's saying that "mentoring" is not actually a tough job and that it is stupid to assume that role players are the best mentors and stupid to let them guide our prospects. I strongly agree with that.

And trying to drill into an asteroid to detonate a nuclear bomb in space isn't a tough job? That was the comparison made. The job was to drill into an asteroid. The job just so happens to be in space. Do you prefer to transport the best drillers into space where they have no experience in that environment or do you try to teach guys who are experienced in space/the environment how to drill? If you need a goal on the PP do you play Jordan Subban or Brooks Orpik? I play Subban. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the point that poster was trying to make so his comparison doesn't make sense. If you disagree, explain why.

And where is the assumption that role players are the best mentors? Did Benning say that? I don't think so. What Benning said was to put our young skilled players to play in skilled positions/offensive situations. In terms of mentorship of young players he mentioned Beagle and how he has won at every level. Henrik is gone and we don't have Niklas Backstrom to serve as a mentor to Elias Pettersson. Being a mentor doesn't mean that your mentee learns everything from you, but that doesn't mean you can't teach your mentee something.

It's stupid to assume that some singular player on the Canucks is tasked to guide the Canucks' prospects.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It's an atypical quote for a GM to make, for sure. That being said, anyone with a brain stem could deduce the same thing about the Canucks depth chart in about 5 seconds, so it's not like he gave anything of substance away.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
To be fair he just stating the obvious, but sometimes it is better to say nothing of BS about a plan and not you don't get exposed.

Some kind should ask him if he will send Beagle, Roussel or Schaller down if they get outplayed, or would he rather lose the young players that outplayed his new guys to waivers.

Yeah, *this* was the follow-up to ask.

Reactions: Hit the post
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad