2018 Management Discussion, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
And people claim that Gillis left a mess.

It's incredibly funny.

Walked into the job with plenty of cap space and no egregiously bad contracts–had a near blank slate with how to build the team. Even the "bad" ones were like Chris Higgins, still a 35 point two way guy and Garrison, a 30 point middle pairing D-man. Both still effective players.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's incredibly funny.

Walked into the job with plenty of cap space and no egregiously bad contracts–had a near blank slate with how to build the team. Even the "bad" ones were like Chris Higgins, still a 35 point two way guy and Garrison, a 30 point middle pairing D-man. Both still effective players.

He got a 2nd round pick for Garrison. Some here didn't like that deal, but I thought it was fine. I looked at it as dumping a player for cap space and bringing in a pick. I saw that as a good move.

Now, had he kept the pick and used the cap space intelligently it would have been fine. Instead, he flipped the pick for a garbage player and he wasted the cap space on Sbisa who was a worse defenseman than Garrison. That's the problem.

Jim Benning is just a poor judge of talent. Since Day 1 he's tried to quickly retool this team. Around younger players (mostly), sure. But it's not a true rebuild when you're not stockpiling draft picks and 18-20 year old prospects.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I love how much of a sad sack our general manager is. Does he ever show strength and confidence in any interview?

"Hey if you don't give us a pick you can have them for free on waivers."

Meanwhile he pays draft picks for players like Pouliot who could be had on waivers.

"Yeah but Rutherford didn't say he would be on waivers so Jim didn't know for sure"

:lol:

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Waivers at the end of training camp should be fun. They'll be plenty of younger cheaper versions of Beagle, Schaller and Roussel available from teams unable to protect them. Unfortunately Jim won't be able to pick any of them up because his roster will be full of overpriced veterans that nobody will want.

Reactions: MS and PuckMunchkin

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Same with Beagle, Roussel, and 3 years for Sutter and Gudbranson. :laugh:

$20.3M wasted on garbage. And people claim that Gillis left a mess. :lol:

If Benning is still here in 3 years I hope Luongo retires with 1 year left on his contract.

Stupid thing to say. We'll just have Benning say "we like uh didn't have the uhm cap space you know to keep guys like Horvat you know so we uh traded him for a few 20 year old players to you know like fill in the age gap and stuff", and we'll have to try to explain that maybe the 20m wasted was a factor in all of this, and that wasting 20m by choice is different than the NHL f***ing you.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Waivers at the end of training camp should be fun. They'll be plenty of younger cheaper versions of Beagle, Schaller and Roussel available from teams unable to protect them. Unfortunately Jim won't be able to pick any of them up because his roster will be full of overpriced veterans that nobody will want.

god dammit. (Just frustrating the lack of any forethought by this management. Why try to pick up players for free when we can overpay and give stupid term to veterans?)

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
"Hey if you don't give us a pick you can have them for free on waivers."

To be fair, basically every other GM already knows this - since Benning became GM, I believe he is the only GM to trade a pick between training camp and before the waiver deadline a player who had to clear waivers. New Jersey had a conditional pick trade a few years ago, but the conditions don't appear to have been met.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wouldn't be shocked if Washington grabbed Gaunce off waivers for their 4th line, among others. It will be funny to see but Benning has lost players to waivers before. There will be a couple of competitive teams like Chicago and Washington that are going to be a little short up front and could use a Gaunce or Goldobin.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
soon

eccb66ee97463d5353ae0ff05c22577e.jpg

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
To be fair, basically every other GM already knows this - since Benning became GM, I believe he is the only GM to trade a pick between training camp and before the waiver deadline a player who had to clear waivers. New Jersey had a conditional pick trade a few years ago, but the conditions don't appear to have been met.

The only GM EVER to trade a pick between training camp and before the waiver deadline a player who had to clear waivers?

In a league that had the likes of Feaster and Lowe before Benning, it's difficult to believe that Benning would be the first to do this... and yet at the same time, it wouldn't be at all surprising if he was the first.

Reactions: Jack Burton

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
The only GM EVER to trade a pick between training camp and before the waiver deadline a player who had to clear waivers?

In a league that had the likes of Feaster and Lowe before Benning, it's difficult to believe that Benning would be the first to do this... and yet at the same time, it wouldn't be at all surprising if he was the first.

Sorry if my language wasn't clear - only one to do it since 2014, when he became GM. I'm sure it's happened before, but not recently.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Well, anyone could see it was plainly obvious what our roster situation is. That being said, it was an incredibly dumb thing to come right out and say. It also confirms he has no plan whatsoever which is hardly surprising but disappointing none the less.

That being said, the reason teams pay draft picks for players who are about to go on waivers is because they don't want to risk said player getting claimed and then them not getting the player at all gambling on them being there for free. It is not exactly a crazy strategy if you identify someone with value.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, anyone could see it was plainly obvious what our roster situation is. That being said, it was an incredibly dumb thing to come right out and say. It also confirms he has no plan whatsoever which is hardly surprising but disappointing none the less.

That being said, the reason teams pay draft picks for players who are about to go on waivers is because they don't want to risk said player getting claimed and then them not getting the player at all gambling on them being there for free. It is not exactly a crazy strategy if you identify someone with value.
What about when you identify Derrick Pouliot?

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
If Benning traded Brock Boeser for Hossa you would find some way to justify it.

I'm not sure that's fair. The jbfc have tried to justify some hilariously awful moves and said a whole lot of things that everyone knows aren't true, but no single move Benning has made has been as bad as Boeser for Hossa. So we can't be sure they'd support that one too.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm not sure that's fair. The jbfc have tried to justify some hilariously awful moves and said a whole lot of things that everyone knows aren't true, but no single move Benning has made has been as bad as Boeser for Hossa. So we can't be sure they'd support that one too.

I'm quite sure that they would. Boeser would all of a sudden develop a bad attitude or would have refused to re-sign here, and rumours about Hossa coming back would spring up.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

I don't think they have earned any benefit of the doubt at this point.

Reactions: Peter10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad