2018 Management Discussion, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Greener is clearly in win now mode :badidea:

He's a guy in his first NHL head coaching job. He knows that if his time with the Canucks is a disaster he won't get a second chance with another club. Of course he's pushing for more vets he can ride to 8th place or whatever. See, this is where a strong-willed GM with a plan would make decisions that prioritize the long-term over the short term. We need to get one of those guys.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Here's a rundown of the decrepits, the never-gonna-trades and the run down and retireds we had from the 2011 season.

Here's what every member of the 2011 Vancouver Canucks is up to now

Anyone expecting any GM to come in and turn around a team like this that for the most part dropped off the face of the earth soon after the Finals, along with a prospect cuppboard full of nothing, to be able to compete this soon is nuts.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Here's a rundown of the decrepits, the never-gonna-trades and the run down and retireds we had from the 2011 season.

Anyone expecting any GM to come in and turn around a team like this that for the most part dropped off the face of the earth soon after the Finals, along with a prospect cuppboard full of nothing, to be able to compete this soon is nuts.

Brendan Shanahan took control of the Leafs literally the same week Linden took over the Canucks.

Reactions: cookiefest

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm im considering responding to simply insult you but i dont its worth the effort

Reactions: Hit the post

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

DXJPiiqWAAAFbGY.jpg:large

Heyyyyyyy...what's this?! Never saw that before!

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
i feel like a guy like tobias rieder would have been a very good acquisition, before free agency i thought he was significantly better than rousell and the fact that we could have gotten him for a significantly better contract is just hilarious.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
i feel like a guy like tobias rieder would have been a very good acquisition, before free agency i thought he was significantly better than rousell and the fact that we could have gotten him for a significantly better contract is just hilarious.

There were a myriad of options where they would have been better off. Benning just has a knack for saddling the team with poor contracts. I don't think I've liked any of their offseasons overall. Even when they get an unlikely hit with Vanek, they are still saddled with Gagner and Del Zotto. The year before, they strap the team to Eriksson. Mixed with inflated re-signings of Sutter, Sbisa, Dorsett, Miller... it hasn't been a good environment for the franchise.

Just have to live with what's going on until he's gone.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I would have taken a chance on Rieder. With that said, if you're looking to add grit, Rieder is nowhere near the player Roussel is. Rieder is also coming off a down season where he was noticeably slower after summer ankle surgery.

Overall, I think Roussel is the better player. They both lack finishing ability, but Roussel at least drives possession. For those who are into advanced stats, it's hard not to like Roussel.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He's a guy in his first NHL head coaching job. He knows that if his time with the Canucks is a disaster he won't get a second chance with another club. Of course he's pushing for more vets he can ride to 8th place or whatever. See, this is where a strong-willed GM with a plan would make decisions that prioritize the long-term over the short term. We need to get one of those guys.

We do have a GM with a plan.

His name is Jim Benning and his plan is to make the playoffs ;)

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I can accept the Roussel contract. He is younger, plays very physical and agitates (something we sorely lack), and can actually get 25-30 points a season.

The Beagle contract was overkill. Did not need this player for that term and cap hit at all.

Should have either called it a day after signing Roussel or signed a much cheaper guy of the same ilk like Winnik or Grant.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Actually, I would rather categorize what he's doing as hyper-dinosaur than merely unusual. He has always coveted the throw back player. Whether it's paying a 3rd for a 4th liner in Dorsett, overpaying Sutter and/or chasing Gudbranson. For some reason, he is enamoured with this type of player -- to his own detriment.
The irony is that Jim Benning, the player, was seemingly the exact sort of guy who would have benefited from the modern outlook. He put up decent offensive numbers on some bad teams but was ultimately cut for being "too small" at six freakin' feet tall. Jim Benning should be on a lifelong quest to prove the value of enlightened thinking, and he's like the polar opposite (or is at least extremely susceptible to the views of people who are the polar opposite).

Now, before we see people pointing to Baertschi, Granlund, Goldobin etc.. as counter-points, understand that I am talking about overpaying for limited, character assets. Paying for skilled assets is not questioned in principle. Paying for limited hockey players, is. Reason: It's harder to cultivate skill. So why continue to pay for worse hockey players? It has to be due to a methodology on how to build hockey teams.
"Hey, why turn good hockey players into mentors when you can turn mentors into good hockey players?"

armageddon-benning_zpsw3itz105.png

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Per Friedman, Beagle and Roussel were guys that Green asked Benning to get for him.

Same bull**** as Willie, give me a break

Hadn't heard this yet, but it's not at all surprising. Benning and Linden resemble a couple guys stumbling around desperately searching for someone to save their butts. They're both in way over their head, which likely leads to the undue influence of Weisbrod and coaches demanding (and receiving) specific roster moves. The fact is we don't have a General Manager. We have a bunch of guys who might have some experience and skills in certain departments, but there isn't a single leader with a vision in Canucks hockey ops.

Benning's proven he should be buried in a junior rink with a clipboard and shouldn't be anywhere near a position that requires making decisions.

Now they're letting Travis "The Ego" Green run all over them.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Man that 2011 team was something special. Best Canucks team ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino