2018 Management Discussion, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Do you work in PR for a living? If not, please don't pretend to be an expert and comment. I know that in your mind you are like an expert at everything, but like I told you many times, you're living in your own head. Considering that you think the owners of a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars should hold a press conference to address an average bob who went on social media complaining about a product he bought, you clearly know very little.

I have worked in professional public relations overseeing communication strategy for organizations with multi-billion dollar budgets, and ROE is exactly right.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
lol @ the #Canucks mutiny being powered by Ram Trucks.

However this shakes out, whatever the "plan" was or is, Linden clearly lost an internal power struggle with Benning and/or Weisbrod. We may never know what really happened.

Hopefully it's one step closer to the Aquamen getting rid of Benning, Weisbrod and all their buddies and family members so that actual professionals can be hired to run the team again.
Its getting to the point where Gillis and co and the success acheived under them may likely be a perfect storm in a happy little accident from Aquaman. Aquillini wants results and we all know how terrible this team will be for next few years. If Benning was able to sway him with his fumbly vocabulary then we are doomed. Its nice that he spends all this money on the team but he is a trust fund baby billionaire who has no idea about anything hockey

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
My book? When have I posed a question to you regarding your work references?

Do you know that ad hominem is a fallacious argumentative approach? Your question is irrelevant. (Even though I did answer it if you read closely)

Do you have anything whatsoever to combat/critique what I have put forth as my evidence regarding what should be done here? Anything at all? If you don't, then that should prove that you wish to carry a thin and myopic view of the topic regardless of the evidence presented to you. (What you incorrectly and ironically accuse others of doing with their posts)

I am still awaiting an answer to my question. Why is it ok for you to ask poster questions instead of addressing their post when you refuse to answer when another poster asks you a question.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I have worked in professional public relations overseeing communication strategy for organizations with multi-billion dollar budgets, and ROE is exactly right.

So you think the majority owner of a multi-million dollar organization should hold a press conference to address a case involving someone like Bob buying something he didn't like and complaining about it in social media (that was the example Bleach Clean/ROE gave).

More relevantly, would you pay little attention to whether the owner of such an organization is actually good at being in front of the mic and answering "tough questions?"

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I think the Canucks do plenty of good PR where it matters most. Doing charitable things in the community etc is more important than feeding some media driven conspiracy theories. Certain people will spin it and read into the situation the way they want to no matter what is said by Aquilini so what’s the point? Saying nothing at this point is just as legitimate of a PR strategy as any other under these circumstances.

Reactions: F A N

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think the Canucks do plenty of good PR where it matters most. Doing charitable things in the community etc is more important than feeding some media driven conspiracy theories. Certain people will spin it and read into the situation the way they want to no matter what is said by Aquilini so what’s the point? Saying nothing at this point is just as legitimate of a PR strategy as any other under these circumstances.

Leaders saying nothing in a tumultuous situation is just as legitimate as doing nothing you say?

And this is in your *professional* opinion from years working in the PR world?

Reactions: geebaan

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Leaders saying nothing in a tumultuous situation is just as legitimate as doing nothing you say?

His work in the PR world doesn’t matter CanaFan. That’s ad hominem, the same thing FAN is guilty of doing. It’s really not a legitimate counter argument.

If RMB wants to be taken seriously with his retort: Show your homework. Display that this PR strategy is every bit as legitimate as any other. Cite the sources and works that legitimize this conclusion. Only then does an argument hold anything of value. Until then, RMB is actually guessing. More spin to add to the spin.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Hiring Linden was almost universally considered a good PR move. Did it move the needle in terms of increasing season ticket sales? Where's the evidence that this current "tumultuous situation" has affected the Canucks' profits vs on ice performance. Personally, I think on ice performance is really all that matters. But I am open to being proven wrong. Do you have an example where bad PR has significantly impacted an NHL, NFL, NBA, or MLB's profits despite good on ice/court/field performance and ownership spending money?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Its getting to the point where Gillis and co and the success acheived under them may likely be a perfect storm in a happy little accident from Aquaman. Aquillini wants results and we all know how terrible this team will be for next few years. If Benning was able to sway him with his fumbly vocabulary then we are doomed. Its nice that he spends all this money on the team but he is a trust fund baby billionaire who has no idea about anything hockey
The success achieved under Gillis and co was the culmination of the work of three separate general managers and absolutely ZERO work from Franky.

Burkie's wheeling and dealing, Nonis's lucky latter round drafting and Gillis's eye for value, financial wizardry and charismatic ability to convince a bunch of very talented and very strong willed individuals to work together to get to one game away from a SC.

When you're rich as god, it's easy to loosen the purse strings to support a winner. It's when the road starts becoming bumpy when one's TRUE nature is revealed and since 2011, it's been effing downhill the entire effing way (with an extremely minor Eddie Lack / Zack Kassian fueled blip in 14-15).

We got vets being treated like crap (CHiggs). We got vets getting pissy (Kes). We got vets turning into crybabies in the 2nd year of their contract (Vrbs). We got vets that haven't even started to play in the 3rd year of their six year 36 million dollar contract (Eriksson). We got vets that are ABSOLUTELY leaving a crap tonne of money (comparatively speaking) on the table because they've had enough of the management crap show (Sedins). We've been through three coaches in five years (AV, WD, TG). We just had our most iconic player in team history peace out of this clustereff.

There should be doubt in anyone's mind where the root of the problem lies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Hiring Linden was almost universally considered a good PR move. Did it move the needle in terms of increasing season ticket sales? Where's the evidence that this current "tumultuous situation" has affected the Canucks' profits vs on ice performance. Personally, I think on ice performance is really all that matters. But I am open to being proven wrong. Do you have an example where bad PR has significantly impacted an NHL, NFL, NBA, or MLB's profits despite good on ice/court/field performance and ownership spending money?
PR is the art of controlling how external parties perceive your organization and we are currently perceived as an effing joke because we ARE an effing joke.

Nobody gives a crap about charity work when your product sucks. In fact, being associated with the Canucks right now has negative value just like the majority of the contracts on this team.

Linden was considered a good PR move only for those that didn't see the rot underneath the hood which is pretty much 90% of the sports media. I saw the Linden tire fire coming a mile away.

Good PR and a solid management team with a clear and defined vision is how the Leafs were able to convince Tavares to sign with them. It's how Gillis was able to sign Hammer and resign Kesler and Burr for below market dollars.

Look at the quality of free agents we're attracting to this shitshow.

Look at the money we're having to spend on attracting bottom 6 players.

When it comes to the business of sports entertainment, good PR is more important than reality because the business of sports entertainment is the business of popularity.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
PR is the art of controlling how external parties perceive your organization and we are currently perceived as an effing joke because we ARE an effing joke.

Nobody gives a crap about charity work when your product sucks. In fact, being associated with the Canucks right now has negative value just like the majority of the contracts on this team.

Linden was considered a good PR move only for those that didn't see the rot underneath the hood which is pretty much 90% of the sports media. I saw the Linden tire fire coming a mile away.

Good PR and a solid management team with a clear and defined vision is how the Leafs were able to convince Tavares to sign with them. It's how Gillis was able to sign Hammer and resign Kesler and Burr for below market dollars.

Look at the quality of free agents we're attracting to this ****show.

Look at the money we're having to spend on attracting bottom 6 players.

When it comes to the business of sports entertainment, good PR is more important than reality because the business of sports entertainment is the business of popularity.

if you say that the Linden PR move fooled 90% of the sports media then you have to admit it has been quite successful.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Oh boy :help:

EDIT: Basically, theres no chance anyone with any competence comes to this organization, till Benning & Weisbrod are gone. I didnt say Aquilini, cause he's not selling the team.

Guess we are stuck with Benning for years. Oh boy...

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
The head in the sand approach is correct for guys like you who just eat anything this management/ownership puts out.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Actually, that's a great way to start off the next thread, since we're at the post limit.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille