2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Can’t compete with those nashville tax advantages everyone pretends don’t exist

There’s still federal tax, plus no healthcare. You pay for what you get. Also you are paid based on the city you are playing in, so you pay taxes in those rates as well.

Living in Nashville might not be for everyone. Otherwise we’d all be living there, right?

Money isn’t the only factor, a lot of people want to live where their family is, or nearby, and not just as a summer home.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think if you grab Ellis, he's likely to come in around 6-7 years and 5-6.5M per. You'd definitely need to lose Zaitsev off the roster but Ellis isn't really a top pairing guy either, he's facing 2nd lines with Josi while Ekholm and Subban handle the shut down role.

Next year you could roll...

Rielly-X
Dermott-Ellis
X-Liljegren

It's nice...imagine that Borgman, Rosen or someone else handles 3rd pairing/7th defenseman role.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Players pay tax in every city they play in. The difference in places are not as big as people make it out to be. Factor in that living expenses are paid in Canadian money but a players salary is paid in US is an instant 30% savings right now.
Players also incorporate which is a whole different ball a wax. The difference is not a lot. False news really is a good term.

Now about Ellis...I much rather resign Gardiner who not only is better offensively. But is better defensively as well. Ellis is not better than Gardiner in any way in my opinion. Ellis will not be more then a 4.5 to 5m per year D man the fact that he is a right shot is the only reason he gets that amount.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Ellis is a heck of a dman but I dont k ow if he's the guy you want to blow your precious cap space on...at least in TOs case.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Only fools look at the personal tax rate in different jurisdictions and think that is tax rate for incorporated enteratainers.

Regarding Ellis, he could become a Leaf. Leafs have decision next summer, go with what looks an expensive forward group and have an inexpensive young Dman group. OR they decide they need at least one good and therefore expensive veteran Dman. To be cap compliant, the Leafs would tohave trade an expensive forward.

Leafs sure are hoping that the young guys pans out, and will have to project how soon Liljegren, Sandin, Durzi will be NHL ready. We may not know how Leafs management feels about the NHL capability of their Dmen till next July.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Players pay tax in every city they play in. The difference in places are not as big as people make it out to be. Factor in that living expenses are paid in Canadian money but a players salary is paid in US is an instant 30% savings right now.
Players also incorporate which is a whole different ball a wax. The difference is not a lot. False news really is a good term.

Now about Ellis...I much rather resign Gardiner who not only is better offensively. But is better defensively as well. Ellis is not better than Gardiner in any way in my opinion. Ellis will not be more then a 4.5 to 5m per year D man the fact that he is a right shot is the only reason he gets that amount.

Gardener is a #2 who can’t play on a top pairing due to inconsistencies. How much would you sign him for?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
6.0 - 6.5 only if we can fit it in(I think we can but that's pending the big 3 and that determination has to be made first). I think he could potentially get 7 on the open market with a good year.

I'd fight on the term. He'll be 29 when his next contract starts. I wouldn't want to go over 6 years at most and I'd prefer 5. The Shatternkirk contract would be nice. That's where I'd possibly lose him.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
6.0 - 6.5 only if we can fit it in(I think we can but that's pending the big 3 and that determination has to be made first). I think he could potentially get 7 on the open market with a good year.

I'd fight on the term. He'll be 29 when his next contract starts. I wouldn't want to go over 6 years at most and I'd prefer 5. The Shatternkirk contract would be nice. That's where I'd possibly lose him.

who? Ellis?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Ellis would be the perfect player to round out our top 4, cheap enough to be viable while being able to shoulder heavy minutes and move the puck effectively.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Ellis would be the perfect player to round out our top 4, cheap enough to be viable while being able to shoulder heavy minutes and move the puck effectively.
I don't think Ellis will be cheap if he makes it to UFA. 6.5-7 million easily

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Hes second pairing quite clearly on nashville. What leads you to think hes a top pairing player capable of 7+ long term?
Well first off, he plays on their first pair with Josi. Ekholm-Subban is their second pair. Nashville has the best defence core in the league, they have 3 first pairing calibre d-men.

He played at an almost 60 point pace last season. Career high is 38 points but I think he will exceed that next year.

Reactions: 4thline

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Cheap enough to be viable, not cheap

Not for us it isn't without some serious cap surgery

Andersen 5M
Tavares 11M
Matthews 11M?
Nylander 6.5M?
Marner 6.5M - 8.5M?
Kadri 4.5M
Rielly 5M

Ellis 6.5M-7.5M?

That's ugly

Nope, people just assume the flashiest name is shouldering the biggest workload. Ellis is proven against top pairing competition

Doesn't the Subban Ekholm partnership take the other teams best players?

They were the "shutdown pair" against the best players on the other team during the playoffs from memory

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not for us it isn't without some serious cap surgery

Andersen 5M
Tavares 11M
Matthews 11M?
Nylander 6.5M?
Marner 6.5M - 8.5M?
Kadri 4.5M
Rielly 5M

Ellis 6.5M-7.5M?

That's ugly

Doesn't the Subban Ekholm partnership take the other teams best players?

They were the "shutdown pair" against the best players on the other team during the playoffs from memory

Can't speak to playoffs but, proven and successful
ellisry91

As to the cap, that's called having a good team, and filling in the gaps with cheap depth. We're going to end up with another defenseman making in the vicinity of 6 or more in the next two years. The question is who, and how much more

Reactions: Animal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad