2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Coburn is still very service able on the 3rd pairing. He's miles ahead if Polak. But Tampa will want prospects and picks back for him.

Coburn is not the guy he used to be. A few years ago, definitely. Now, he's not a 3.7 mill defenseman and he's about as serviceable on the bottom pairing as someone like Polak is. Coburn is not really a strong skater anymore either. We have guys to fill his spot so unless Tampa is willing to pay us to take him off their hands, I doubt there is a deal to be done.

Carrick and Nielsen for Coburn + 2019 6th round pick.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Reading all the let’s trade Willie for stud Dman bc the Leafs can’t afford Willie.... the thing in don’t understand is that song the stud D cost as much if not more than what’s Willie is asking?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Reading all the let’s trade Willie for stud Dman bc the Leafs can’t afford Willie.... the thing in don’t understand is that song the stud D cost as much if not more than what’s Willie is asking?

It's not really affording Willie that is the problem. It's affording Marner and Matthews as well (mostly Marner will be using Nylander as a comparable though) that is the problem. If signing Nylander was independent of Marner and Matthew's asking price, the Leafs may be a little bit more willing to budge. But knowing that it's essentially a 3x multiplier really changes things.

Getting a defenseman means signing him will be independent of Matthews and Marner's contracts. For example, Matthews and Marner are not going to compare themselves with Theodore to get their money.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It's not really affording Willie that is the problem. It's affording Marner and Matthews as well (mostly Marner will be using Nylander as a comparable though) that is the problem. If signing Nylander was independent of Marner and Matthew's asking price, the Leafs may be a little bit more willing to budge. But knowing that it's essentially a 3x multiplier really changes things.

Getting a defenseman means signing him will be independent of Matthews and Marner's contracts. For example, Matthews and Marner are not going to compare themselves with Theodore to get their money.

Yes and no.

Matthews and Marner contract will be dependent on market value. It is true that if Willie signs for 6mil x 7yrs, and say he took a discount bc he wants to play with the others.... Marner and Matthews will most likely do the same.
What the Leafs need to do is tell these three and other kids coming out of their ELC that, if you want to win with the Leafs, take a discount on this contract and make your payday in your third contract.
I don’t know what Willie is asking and what’s Dubas is offering but from all the stuff I have been reading, Willie’s agent likes to take it till the last minute.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He was still pretty good on the defensive side. Just couldn’t score

I don't know why people are down on him, he was really effective at taking the puck to the net against us. Give him a skilled net-crashing presence in Kadri and his offensive totals won't look as bad just off rebound assists.

For the record I've never really liked the guy and had no desire to sign him when he hit UFA originally, but if he comes cheap he brings a useful element to the middle-6 that we don't really have outside of Hyman. It would be dumb not to take advantage of it.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Rasmus Andersson for Kasperi Kapanen, and Garrett Sparks.

Who adds?
I've been pumping that trade before, but without Sparks. I'd love to get Andersson, especially since he again is not getting a spot on the NHL team. He'd immediately be our second best RD, even including Hainsey who is actually a LD.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I've been pumping that trade before, but without Sparks. I'd love to get Andersson, especially since he again is not getting a spot on the NHL team. He'd immediately be our second best RD, even including Hainsey who is actually a LD.

I'd probably be fine including Sparks. Rasmus Andersson would be a solid addition to the biggest hole on our roster. Sparks is a tough one to judge, amazing AHL numbers, but aside from his NHL debut, has never looked great against NHL competition. We keep hearing about how his style of goaltending is unlikely to succeed at the NHL level, and the numbers so far seem to keep backing that up.

I actually think Pickard could be a pretty solid option. He's only 26, and out of the three of them has the best NHL resume under his belt. He played for a pretty bad Colorado team, and still has a career NHL save % of 0.913, and has shown he can play 30-40 games if needed.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd probably be fine including Sparks. Rasmus Andersson would be a solid addition to the biggest hole on our roster. Sparks is a tough one to judge, amazing AHL numbers, but aside from his NHL debut, has never looked great against NHL competition. We keep hearing about how his style of goaltending is unlikely to succeed at the NHL level, and the numbers so far seem to keep backing that up.

I actually think Pickard could be a pretty solid option. He's only 26, and out of the three of them has the best NHL resume under his belt. He played for a pretty bad Colorado team, and still has a career NHL save % of 0.913, and has shown he can play 30-40 games if needed.
Yeah, I definitely think it's possible that Pickard might translate better to the NHL, even though Sparks is the better AHL goalie.

Reactions: FishManSam

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Dmitrij Jaskin is on waivers. Anyone else interested like I am? Big boy can throw weight around hasn’t lived up to his offensive potential. Or maybe st Louis was hindering him from hitting it?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Dmitrij Jaskin is on waivers. Anyone else interested like I am? Big boy can throw weight around hasn’t lived up to his offensive potential. Or maybe st Louis was hindering him from hitting it?

I see a lesser team claiming him first. However if he gets to us, I would easily waive Holl to make room for him. Or if he clears, maybe doing a Kulak trade and giving up Nielsen to have him regain form on the Marlies and work his way up after this year. That gives Sandin a full time job on the Marlies too.

Grundstrom-Jooris-Bracco
Timashov-Mueller-Moore
Jaskin-Brooks-Engvall
Marchment-Greening-Cracknell
Clune/Clark-Ferguson-Piccinich

Rosen-Liljegren
Borgman-LoVerde
Sandin-Holl (after Nylander comes back)
Subban

Jardine/Gudbranson/Leblanc for spot duty.

McElhinney-Pickard (for now)
Kaskisuo

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

I would, but he's got to go through most of the league get to us in the waiver priority. Seeing as they acquired a LHD in Jerabek, perhaps we could've offered one of ours. Rosen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad