2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
The only reason I would have made a trade for Skinner would be to keep him out of Buffalo.

Other than that, no way I trade any kind of future (Johnsson, Kapanen or even the 2nd) for one year of Skinner. He's entering FA status the end of this year. He'll likely test the market and Toronto couldn't afford him even at his current cap hit.

I'd keep Brown and his 28 pts over Skinner and his 49 pts, and use that $3.5M cap savings for something much more beneficial.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The only reason I would have made a trade for Skinner would be to keep him out of Buffalo.

Other than that, no way I trade any kind of future (Johnsson, Kapanen or even the 2nd) for one year of Skinner. He's entering FA status the end of this year. He'll likely test the market and Toronto couldn't afford him even at his current cap hit.

I'd keep Brown and his 28 pts over Skinner and his 49 pts, and use that $3.5M cap savings for something much more beneficial.

I would have to agree with this. We clearly have a need on this team and it's on defense, any assets we spend on forward might improve us sure, but I don't think we'd see some quantum leap forward. Tavares already did that this summer.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Time to take advantage of Don Wadell:

To CAR:
2nd, Kapanen, Carrick

To TOR:
Faulk

Sign Rick Nash

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Nash-Kadri-Hyman
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown
Jooris

Rielly-Faulk
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Marincin
Ozhiganov

Andersen
McE/Sparks

I love that Kapanen gets traded and Leivo STILL doesn't dress. Poor guy :laugh:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Why Josh Leivo could, and should, be a Top 9 forward for the Leafs (The Athletic)
Ian Tulloch takes a look at the curious case of why Josh Leivo can’t seem to crack Mike Babcock’s lineup and what kind of impact he might be able to make given the opportunity. Trade rumours circulated about Kyle Dubas potentially giving Leivo a fresh start earlier this offseason, but it increasingly looks like he’ll come into camp again as a Leaf. Leivo has played just 29 NHL games and five AHL games over the past two seasons combined

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Why Josh Leivo could, and should, be a Top 9 forward for the Leafs (The Athletic)
Ian Tulloch takes a look at the curious case of why Josh Leivo can’t seem to crack Mike Babcock’s lineup and what kind of impact he might be able to make given the opportunity. Trade rumours circulated about Kyle Dubas potentially giving Leivo a fresh start earlier this offseason, but it increasingly looks like he’ll come into camp again as a Leaf. Leivo has played just 29 NHL games and five AHL games over the past two seasons combined

With JVR gone, Leivo should at least have a job to fight for, though there'll still be plenty of competition. Don't buy the whole "Babcock hates Leivo" thing either, he just felt there were better options for the 4th line role. When he was in the lineup, he always got PP time, doesn't seem like the actions of a coach who hates him.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
TOR
Parayko

STL
Nylander

TOR
Panarin

CLB
Gardiner
Brown
2nd

Panarin- Matthews- Hyman
Marleau- Tavares- Marner
Johnsson- Kadri- Kapanen
Ennis- lindholm- Leivo

Reilly- Parayko
Dermott- Zaitsev
Hainsey- Carrick

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
TOR
Parayko

STL
Nylander

TOR
Panarin

CLB
Gardiner
Brown
2nd

Panarin- Matthews- Hyman
Marleau- Tavares- Marner
Johnsson- Kadri- Kapanen
Ennis- lindholm- Leivo

Reilly- Parayko
Dermott- Zaitsev
Hainsey- Carrick
Even if this was possible, how do you plan to re-sign Panarin next summer when he's asking for close to 10 million?

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Even if this was possible, how do you plan to re-sign Panarin next summer when he's asking for close to 10 million?
While I doubt either of those trades for Panarin/Parayko happen, it would look something like this to make it work....
Panarin (10)- Matthews(10)- Hyman(2.25)
Marleau(6.25)- Tavares(11)- Marner(7.5)
Johnsson(2)- Kadri(4.5)- Kapanen(2)
Grundstrom(1)- Lindholm(1)- Leivo(1)

Reilly(5)- Parayko(5.5)
Dermott(1)- Zaitsev(4.5)
Rosen(1)- Carrick(1.5)

Freddy (5)
Backup (1)

Cap Hit: 83 million

If Cap goes up to 82-83 million, it could be possible.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Is Panarin really gonna get 10 million? I mean he's really good but maybe it's just me who is cheap and wouldn't really wanna give a winger that much money. Would love him but if we want him Nylander is gone. Panarin is probably the better player but is he 2-3 million better than Nylander?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Is Panarin really gonna get 10 million? I mean he's really good but maybe it's just me who is cheap and wouldn't really wanna give a winger that much money. Would love him but if we want him Nylander is gone. Panarin is probably the better player but is he 2-3 million better than Nylander?
Right now? Probably.

After Willy gets a few more seasons of development under Babcock in this environment? I can't wait to find out.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Panarin is on the same level as Kucherov. He will get close to 10 million.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Yikes, Sens top 3 players hitting FA all at the same time. What a gong show.

Good opportunity to instantly beef up the youth/farm system at least, they just better not let any of those three walk for nothing. The team is going nowhere this year, no reason to risk holding onto these guys.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Good opportunity to instantly beef up the youth/farm system at least, they just better not let any of those three walk for nothing. The team is going nowhere this year, no reason to risk holding onto these guys.

But they will so they can still sell some tickets. Ottawa is the most poorly run franchise by far with no direction at all.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
They may also end up giving up the top pick and dealing vets increases the chances of that happening. Melnyk has a big enough ego IMO that he'd rather hold onto some players and hope he doesn't give up the first overall vs getting more back by trading them before the season starts.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
They may also end up giving up the top pick and dealing vets increases the chances of that happening. Melnyk has a big enough ego IMO that he'd rather hold onto some players and hope he doesn't give up the first overall vs getting more back by trading them before the season starts.

Yeah, I can’t believe they used their pick this year. So dumb!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
oh man big cesspool over in the trade thread right now. apparently the leafs add to matthews for mckinnon it is infuriating the false narratives other fan bases create to tear down leaf players but the matthews ones are extra tasty

Reactions: Menzinger

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Can’t compete with those nashville tax advantages everyone pretends don’t exist

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
oh man big cesspool over in the trade thread right now. apparently the leafs add to matthews for mckinnon it is infuriating the false narratives other fan bases create to tear down leaf players but the matthews ones are extra tasty

It’s insane.

You can’t hsve any decent conversations with opposing teams fans on this site.

Like McKinnon is a fantastic player but that thread is just bananas

Reactions: Walshy7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad