2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Carrick, 2nd, Pickard, Marincin, etc. - any three of these is equivalent to three quarters equals a dollar. Given the old axiom about "whatever team gets the best player wins the deal", I'd say remove these additional "clutter" type pieces to see what the deal is really about. Most teams have players of this ilk already, so offering them doesn't really offer them much.

Agreed. Too many people feel they can get a dollar for change. It doesn't work that way unless it's a selling team with a UFA. Carolina isn't a bottom 5 team. Vancouver should be though. I'd be ok with a ln affordable deal for Tanev.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I keep hearing leafs are interested in St Louis' Colton Parayko, who wouldn't be ? I can't believe ST Louis would move him, they are in win now mode. Rumour or fact?
The cost would be huge.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
I keep hearing leafs are interested in St Louis' Colton Parayko, who wouldn't be ? I can't believe ST Louis would move him, they are in win now mode. Rumour or fact?
The cost would be huge.
Hearing where? Haven't seen that anywhere

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada

Howard Berger said it in his blog and on twitter... but he has ZERO credibility. Then, some people on twitter just run with whatever they hear without considering the source.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Oh good zero credibility. I had a hard time believing St Louis would do it, unless it was overpay.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Stone asking 9mil in arbitration...

Not liking that one bit... if Stone is asking for 9 mil, how much will Nylander/Marner/Matthews ask?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Not liking that one bit... if Stone is asking for 9 mil, how much will Nylander/Marner/Matthews ask?

He can ask for 9 mill all he wants. He's not getting it.

Plus it's irrelevant. Totally different situation. We are not going through arbitration. Any Stone deal likely buys a ton of UFA years and the rest of his prime. We do not get that, so they're getting a lot less per year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Given the situation Ottawa is in I am not surprised Stone is asking for the moon, especially if he is going to sign long term.

Could be a tactic to get a short term bridge deal to get out of Ottawa sooner if they don’t improve the situation

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Pretty sure Howard Berger started the rumour, meaning it’s not happening
Mmmmm yes....this guy...
upload_2018-8-1_20-16-37.jpeg

He’s been working as a funeral director’s assistant at a mortuary.

Can we stop posting this guy’s rumours?

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-1_20-14-49.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-1_20-14-49.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: The Magic Man

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Sort of normal for the player to ask for way more than what he is worth. I think the Sens came in at 5M and he said 9M, expecting it to fall somewhere in the middle.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

The cost would be huge.

Howard Berger said it in his blog and on twitter... but he has ZERO credibility. Then, some people on twitter just run with whatever they hear without considering the source.

That's the source, which isn't a source. It's the dead of summer so any type of rumor gets more attention right now then it should because all the insiders are on vacation.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think players are trying to price themselves out of Ottawa.

They'd be dumb not to try.

Like Cody Ceci is asking for 6 mill a year. He's barely worth 1/3 of that. Ottawa is going with 3.35 mill. That's actually pretty close to what he should get. It's overpayment, but he's young and he's going to get more than he's worth right now, and that would be a good number for what he does.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Nylander in my opinion should get no more then good players like MacKinnon, Monohann, Gaudreau, Schiefle are making. Any dollar above that amount would be overpaying. I don't care that the cap went up and those deals were signed earlier. In the end, Nylander is going to be a great NHL player but he is not any better then the players I just mentioned. 5.5-6.5 million a season is my number comfortably.

Reactions: ToneDog

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Nylander in my opinion should get no more then good players like MacKinnon, Monohann, Gaudreau, Schiefle are making. Any dollar above that amount would be overpaying. I don't care that the cap went up and those deals were signed earlier. In the end, Nylander is going to be a great NHL player but he is not any better then the players I just mentioned. 5.5-6.5 million a season is my number comfortably.
There is no chance he gets that little.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
There is no chance he gets that little.

I wouldn't be so sure. He's a 60 point winger. Not a center!!!

And he has proven that when he plays without Matthews he isn't at the top of his game. People wanted to talk how Bozak was successful because of Kessel and JVR, well take Nylander off Matthews line and lets see what he does. Something tells me he doesn't hit 45 points. To me when you look at who drives lines, Matthews and Marner come off as those drivers. Nylander does not. But don't get me wrong, still think he is a good player but not one that should be paid more the 6 million in my opinion.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
That's the source, which isn't a source. It's the dead of summer so any type of rumor gets more attention right now then it should because all the insiders are on vacation.

It's the dead of summer, and Berger is working as a funeral director’s assistant at a mortuary.... this stuff writes itself.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
No. But the point I was speaking to was the idea of Ceci not being worth 1/3rd of his $6 million dollar ask ($2m), which is part of the game that is played in NHL arbitration. I'm going to guess that aren't too many 2nd pairing guys getting paid around $2 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad