2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No. But the point I was speaking to was the idea of Ceci not being worth 1/3rd of his $6 million dollar ask ($2m), which is part of the game that is played in NHL arbitration. I'm going to guess that aren't too many 2nd pairing guys getting paid around $2 million.

I get the feeling, that these arbitration, and asks from Senators players, are a ploy to get out of Ottawa as soon as possible. Terrible situation there, and as much as they are heated rivals, I feel bad for the fans. No fan base deserves what is going on there, no matter how much of a rival they are.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I get the feeling, that these arbitration, and asks from Senators players, are a ploy to get out of Ottawa as soon as possible. Terrible situation there, and as much as they are heated rivals, I feel bad for the fans. No fan base deserves what is going on there, no matter how much of a rival they are.

Maybe. Real hard to say unless you know all of these players well.

During the arbitration process, the team submits its lowball offer. Player submits an unrealistically high number. Then the arbitrator decides on a number in the middle somewhere. Seems like players from most teams do this dance, including the players from Ottawa.

I agree on your other point. I'm sure fans and players would like Melnyk gone. Seems like there's folks that somehow get enjoyment from taking shots at a franchise like this that's having problems. I'm not one. I'd like to see a better situation there so that we can have a good rivalry again. Better for everyone. As they say, a rising tide floats all boats.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Maybe. Real hard to say unless you know all of these players well.

Arbitration process is that team submits its lowball offer, player submits an unrealistically high number, and the arbitrator decides on a number in the middle somewhere. Seems like players from most teams do this dance, including the players from Ottawa.

I agree on your other point. I'm sure fans and players would like Melnyk gone. Seems likes theres folks that somehow get enjoyment from taking shots at a franchise like this that's having problems. I'm not one. I'd like to see a better situation there so that we can have a good rivalry again. Better for everyone. As they say, a rising tide floats all boats.
Karlsson is only asking 6.5 which is interesting, Vegas came in at 3.35 IIRC so this deal may have some benefit to us.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Karlsson is only asking 6.5 which is interesting, Vegas came in at 3.35 IIRC so this deal may have some benefit to us.

I think that too is too high for a one year wonder!!! He's in the same boat as Nylander and Marner. You cant cash out after one season or two. You need to earn your stripes or else you turn into a Moulson, or Ennis or others that escape me at the moment.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He's getting bought out, so the money wouldnt matter. We can sign him for whatever we want.

I wouldnt mind him at 1yr/1mill for depth purposes
oh, I only saw that he was being waived so I thought this reference was to a claim rather than a UFA signing

I guess, I would still prefer an extra roster spot for a Leivo/Grundstrom to win

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
A guy like Brouwer only makes sense if say, Connor Brown was dealt away for a d-man. Even then, I still prefer Daniel Winnik over pretty much every other option

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Dude would never get any sleep if he signed here again :laugh: Always lying awake waiting for the call

Plot twist: he asks for the trade every deadline because while he loves Toronto, allergy season hits him really bad.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
38218267_10156699430782652_8971570121608790016_n.jpg

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I would have paid more in a heartbeat, that’s highway robbery. We could’ve given them Brown, Nielsen and a 2nd!!!!!

Why though? We can not afford someone that expensive, and Skinner is just a complimentary winger on this team.

We could give those assets and get a good defenseman instead.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Why though? We can not afford someone that expensive, and Skinner is just a complimentary winger on this team.

We could give those assets and get a good defenseman instead.
My point was how cheap he was, it was a good trade by botteril. You’re not getting much with Brown, Nielsen and a 2nd (I said it cause everyone always mock trades them... it was a joke).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
My point was how cheap he was, it was a good trade by botteril. You’re not getting much with Brown, Nielsen and a 2nd (I said it cause everyone always mock trades them... it was a joke).

You could get a lot more than you probably think.

And really, that is what Skinner was worth. He has one year left at a high cap number. He's coming off a poor season, which is not his first one. He has an injury history. And even at his best, he's a one-dimensional winger who has has only been able to show flashes of being able to score a lot of goals and points, but nothing more and definitely nothing consistent. B-prospect and a few pretty good picks is not too bad of a haul for Carolina.

That 2nd is likely going to be quite high. Maybe even like a late-first type thing. Buffalo has Hutton and Ullmark penciled in as their goalies right now, and their defense still sucks even with Dahlin added to it. They subtracted their second best forward in ROR and while they did add some pretty talented players up front (Middlestadt, Skinner, Berglund, Sobotka, Sheary, etc.), it's still not an offense that I would classify as top 10 in the NHL. So considering they probably have a bottom 10 defense and goaltending duo (if not worse), and still only have a forward group that may barely slip into the top half of the NHL, this team is going to be in the basement again next year unless they really fire on all cylinders.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Time to take advantage of Don Wadell:

To CAR:
2nd, Kapanen, Carrick

To TOR:
Faulk

Sign Rick Nash

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Nash-Kadri-Hyman
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown
Jooris

Rielly-Faulk
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey
Marincin
Ozhiganov

Andersen
McE/Sparks

kb

Aug 28, 2009
You could get a lot more than you probably think.

And really, that is what Skinner was worth. He has one year left at a high cap number. He's coming off a poor season, which is not his first one. He has an injury history. And even at his best, he's a one-dimensional winger who has has only been able to show flashes of being able to score a lot of goals and points, but nothing more and definitely nothing consistent. B-prospect and a few pretty good picks is not too bad of a haul for Carolina.

That 2nd is likely going to be quite high. Maybe even like a late-first type thing. Buffalo has Hutton and Ullmark penciled in as their goalies right now, and their defense still sucks even with Dahlin added to it. They subtracted their second best forward in ROR and while they did add some pretty talented players up front (Middlestadt, Skinner, Berglund, Sobotka, Sheary, etc.), it's still not an offense that I would classify as top 10 in the NHL. So considering they probably have a bottom 10 defense and goaltending duo (if not worse), and still only have a forward group that may barely slip into the top half of the NHL, this team is going to be in the basement again next year unless they really fire on all cylinders.
It's poo and hope.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Surprised Buffalo would currently trade for a player going into his walk year, but good enough trade if they can re-sign Skinner. Imagine Carolina isn't done yet and Faulk is the next move to come.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It's poo and hope.

Buffalo's team, I know... Which compared to having to go up against Florida, Tampa, Toronto and Boston will end up in a low standing again most likely.

At least Montreal and Ottawa will almost certainly be worse than them this year. If they are lucky, maybe they can beat Florida for 4th on that spot, but I doubt they pass the Metro for the WC spots.

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad