2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
If Ennis and Matthews click and you run with a Ennis - Matthews - Nylander line, would you consider this trade? For that matter, would San Jose?

To San Jose:
Marleau (2.5M retained)
Holl

To Toronto:
Braun

A Gardiner - Braun pairing would be deadly.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If Ennis and Matthews click and you run with a Ennis - Matthews - Nylander line, would you consider this trade? For that matter, would San Jose?

To San Jose:
Marleau (2.5M retained)
Holl

To Toronto:
Braun

A Gardiner - Braun pairing would be deadly.

Ennis is maybe half the player Hyman is right now. Doubt even Matthews could revive his career. Marleau wouldn't be going back to SJ until after July 1st anyway. SJ might be willing to trade Braun for him though, considering they have 3 #1 defencemen now, and who knows what will happen with their current 35+ UFAs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think we can rule out a Marleau return to San Jose since they'll be trying to re-sign Karlsson.

You're looking more at a team like Arizona. Bolland and Smith's buy out come off their books after this year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think we can rule out a Marleau return to San Jose since they'll be trying to re-sign Karlsson.

You're looking more at a team like Arizona. Bolland and Smith's buy out come off their books after this year.

Is Marleau going to agree to be sent to hockey Siberia in the desert?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Is Marleau going to agree to be sent to hockey Siberia in the desert?

I have no idea. I don't know what they agreed to at the beginning of the contract, they certainly set it up a bit like Martin's deal. We pay a lot up front and in signing bonuses. Would any of us be *shocked* if we paid the signing bonus July 1st and Marleau's 6.25M cap hit and 1.5M salary found themselves elsewhere? Or if Marleau developed an allergy to his hair or hockey equipment?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

which is unfair to marleau, if he is not traded to San Jose I doubt he is traded we cant sign a marquee free agent (in his year he was up there) and then ship them out later it sends the totally wrong message. He also has a full NMC too

edit: unless he wants to go to a shithouse cap floor team, but I doubt it

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have no idea. I don't know what they agreed to at the beginning of the contract, they certainly set it up a bit like Martin's deal. We pay a lot up front and in signing bonuses. Would any of us be *shocked* if we paid the signing bonus July 1st and Marleau's 6.25M cap hit and 1.5M salary found themselves elsewhere? Or if Marleau developed an allergy to his hair or hockey equipment?

Marleau is an ironman. He’s in ridiculous shape. He sits in ice baths between periods because he likes it. I don’t think an injury/allergy angle wouldn’t work unless it was 100% legitimate.

In terms of a trade, San Jose is pretty much the only option, and they wouldn’t have the cap space if Karlsson stays around.

Marleau won’t be the solution to adding more cap flexibility. Ron Hainsey is gone, so that will be 3M, and I think, depending on the season Zaitsev has, we could potentially see him moved.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marleau is an ironman. He’s in ridiculous shape. He sits in ice baths between periods because he likes it. I don’t think an injury/allergy angle wouldn’t work unless it was 100% legitimate.

In terms of a trade, San Jose is pretty much the only option, and they wouldn’t have the cap space if Karlsson stays around.

Marleau won’t be the solution to adding more cap flexibility. Ron Hainsey is gone, so that will be 3M, and I think, depending on the season Zaitsev has, we could potentially see him moved.
Gardiner and Hainsey are both UFAs. I don't want to lose Gardiner for nothing so I hope it's dealt with.
I'd rather keep Gardiner on a decent deal.
Zaitsev has to prove which guy we are getting. It's best 2 out of 3 time. If he falters, lose the money to retain Gardiner and find another solution.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I think Marleau has been a great mentor for the guys, I personally wouldn't trade Marleau but in the worst case scenario that we need to I'd be fine with it. Gardiner and Hainsey expire. We can reshape the defense with that cap and from internal upgrades.

It's pretty much just next years crunch, we get past that and our roster is set with the young core and just finding cheaper players to fill the holes.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
People are hilarious. Marleau goes no where until his contract is up. He's not done anything against what we have expected this far, and would look very bad on Leafs management to lure someone like Marleau only to dump him mid way through his contract. He's producing and going no where.

Leafs gave him an extra year at 6.25M to move and he is paid most of his salary next July 1st . It is a business and I'll bet Marleau would hold no ill will against the Leafs if they moved the third year of his deal. Heck he might even retire July 2nd after he is paid his bonus on July 1st.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
People are hilarious. Marleau goes no where until his contract is up. He's not done anything against what we have expected this far, and would look very bad on Leafs management to lure someone like Marleau only to dump him mid way through his contract. He's producing and going no where.

Yes, its horrific to pay a 40+ point 38 year old winger a $19 million retirement contract that he only actually has to play 2 seasons to earn. Absolutely freaking discraceful! No veteran in his right mind would touch this team with a ten foot pole if Marleau agrees to be traded next summer:popcorn:.

Oh, and I can imagine the anger expressed at him from his wife and kids when they are told they will get to go back home a year early. Horrible.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Leafs gave him an extra year at 6.25M to move and he is paid most of his salary next July 1st . It is a business and I'll bet Marleau would hold no ill will against the Leafs if they moved the third year of his deal. Heck he might even retire July 2nd after he is paid his bonus on July 1st.

We'd still have to take his cap hit. Which is the whole purpose of moving him. I doubt he's useless after next year so you might as well just keep him then.

Reactions: ACC1224

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He's got a full NMC. If he wants to stay, and I dont see why he wouldnt, then he's going to stay.

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad