2018 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread: The Dogs Days are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have a question. If the Leafs wanted to, can they circumvent the cap to fit everyone in by paying less on the first year of a contract and more on the later years where the average is still reasonable but we buy ourselves another season where Marleau's contract is off the books?

So for example:

Matthews - 1 year - 8 million, 2 year 10 million, 3-8 years at 12 million per. This would be an 8 year deal at 78 million with a 9.75 million salary hit per season.

If we work out deals for Matthews, Marner and Nylander this way it could be beneficial with them getting everyone in.

Is this possible?
No, Matthews will be worth more than 9.75 per year.

Reactions: al secord

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Jumping ahead here but at the TDL, I wouldn't mind grabbing Anders Lee if he was available. Everyone will focus on Panarin and Simmonds more I think but Lee already has chemistry with Tavares and is a great net front presence.

Might cost someone like Brown(+) whom the Islanders could keep long term and Lou really likes but think Lee could really help.

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Lee-Tavares-Marner
Leivo(??)-Kadri-Hyman (Hyman fits a shut down line)
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanen

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Jumping ahead here but at the TDL, I wouldn't mind grabbing Anders Lee if he was available. Everyone will focus on Panarin and Simmonds more I think but Lee already has chemistry with Tavares and is a great net front presence.

Might cost someone like Brown(+) whom the Islanders could keep long term and Lou really likes but think Lee could really help.

Lee-Tavares-Marner

Brown+? the + would have be twice what brown is, this is a 40 goal scorer and brown is a 20 goal scorer (both at best) and then the islanders fans being pissed at the leafs for JT opticially theyd have to clearly win the trade

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No, Matthews will be worth more than 9.75 per year.

this, he already is worth more. 40 goal scoring 1C who was ppg this season (only 62 games) and is very good 2way that's $11M right now. At this point im just hoping we can get him for $11M or under

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Brown+? the + would have be twice what brown is, this is a 40 goal scorer and brown is a 20 goal scorer (both at best) and then the islanders fans being pissed at the leafs for JT opticially theyd have to clearly win the trade

Have to see what Lee is this year without Tavares first. If he's a 20 goal guy then it becomes a bit easier.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
probably is, but we know JT turns him into a 40 goal scorer im sure NYI will play on that

Yeah for sure.

Right now I would say Brown+2nd could be a damned good return for them. Top 60 pick in an apparent good draft year and a long term top 9 young forward. After that, I would need to know what the bidding war is etc.

Kind of want to reserve the 1st for a defenseman.

Again, I am super early on this party lol.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah for sure.

Right now I would say Brown+2nd could be a damned good return for them. Top 60 pick in an apparent good draft year and a long term top 9 young forward. After that, I would need to know what the bidding war is etc.

Kind of want to reserve the 1st for a defenseman.

Again, I am super early on this party lol.

I do not think the Leafs should really be open to dealing picks in this upcoming draft. We have a good enough team that I do not think they need to put their top 60 picks on the table for any sort of trade.

And then it's a UFA who may not even be that significant of an upgrade. Upgrading a winger for one run is not really worth it for the Leafs just like investing in a 4C for a playoff run now that our guys are experienced is not really worth it. Boyle and Plekanec taught our guys enough, and now we have Tavares. Our wingers are going to be more than good enough without making any sort of trade.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I do not think the Leafs should really be open to dealing picks in this upcoming draft. We have a good enough team that I do not think they need to put their top 60 picks on the table for any sort of trade.

And then it's a UFA who may not even be that significant of an upgrade. Upgrading a winger for one run is not really worth it for the Leafs just like investing in a 4C for a playoff run now that our guys are experienced is not really worth it. Boyle and Plekanec taught our guys enough, and now we have Tavares. Our wingers are going to be more than good enough without making any sort of trade.

I think Lee is a massive upgrade on Hyman, my personal opinion.

Also open to dealing picks etc for the right defenseman as well.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I'm going to have to disagree with trading picks.

My reasoning behind that is I believe that the prospects that they have brought into the organization are quite solid (Sandin, Liljegren, Moore, Grundstrom) and there aren't a ton of position openings to be filled over the next few years. We know that in the top 9 there will guaranteed 5 spots filled with Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Kadri. The other couple of most likely spots are Hyman & Brown. And then you have Kapanen, Leivo & Johnsson hanging around with tons of talent.

I'm not suggesting to trade a 2nd round pick for Boyle or Plekanec, but to piece it together to get a defensive upgrade would be huge.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

My reasoning behind that is I believe that the prospects that they have brought into the organization are quite solid (Sandin, Liljegren, Moore, Grundstrom) and there aren't a ton of position openings to be filled over the next few years. We know that in the top 9 there will guaranteed 5 spots filled with Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, Kadri. The other couple of most likely spots are Hyman & Brown. And then you have Kapanen, Leivo & Johnsson hanging around with tons of talent.

I'm not suggesting to trade a 2nd round pick for Boyle or Plekanec, but to piece it together to get a defensive upgrade would be huge.

I wouldn't have an issue to piece together a deal that includes some picks that will bring us an upgrade on D. I agree, we are set for forwards for a very long time. But trading a 2nd and player like Brown, Leivo or Bracco for an upgrade on D would be wise.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Defensive upgrade, if it is a longer term option and actually worth a 1st, then maybe. Even then however I think you could use guys like Brown + Carrick and prospects before you would use a top 60 pick, or maybe you would use our 2nd if it is a really good player. I doubt there is anyone out there worth more than Brown, Carrick and a 2nd (or possibly a prospect or two) who wouldn't just end up costing significantly more (i.e. we'd have to give up a Gardiner or Nylander or something).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Lee-Tavares-Marner

If we get to the TDL and look like a cup chance everything we've got available asset wise should go towards a defensive upgrade imo

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for sharing here. Personally, Pesce is the right fight... though I can understand why you wouldn't want to move him too.

I'd be more open to moving him than I would have been last year and agree he'd be a better fit with the Leafs, but I don't think the Canes brass would be open to it. With the addition of Hamilton on the RHD side and de Haan on the LHD side; and with Bean and Fox now in the system, there is more flexibility. Right now, the pairings in training camp (because Pesce was dealing with some sort of lung issue in the off season so was behind on conditioning) are:

Slavin-Hamilton
CDH-Faulk
Fleury-TVR
Bean-McKeown (and Pesce)

That said, I think once the dust settles, Pesce will be back with Slavin as they just work so well together.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'd be more open to moving him than I would have been last year and agree he'd be a better fit with the Leafs, but I don't think the Canes brass would be open to it. With the addition of Hamilton on the RHD side and de Haan on the LHD side; and with Bean and Fox now in the system, there is more flexibility. Right now, the pairings in training camp (because Pesce was dealing with some sort of lung issue in the off season so was behind on conditioning) are:

Slavin-Hamilton
CDH-Faulk
Fleury-TVR
Bean-McKeown (and Pesce)

That said, I think once the dust settles, Pesce will be back with Slavin as they just work so well together.

What would be the ask for Pesce be though?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ah, what would be the ask for Pesce be though?

As a fan of both teams (Canes 1st, Leafs 2nd), I always struggle to come up with something. Pesce isn't worth the Marner, Nylander or Kadri IMO...but I wouldn't trade him for the likes of Kapanen, Brown, etc... Canes don't need picks, don't need middling prospects, don't need a group of lesser players, etc.....they need good, scoring top 6 forwards. Leafs' top forwards are too high value to trade for Pesce and I don't see any guys below them that I'd personally trade Pesce for.

If Leafs had a forward slightly below Nylander level, that would be ideal, but I don't see that. A guy at the level of Sam Reinhardt would be closer value IMO.

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
As a fan of both teams (Canes 1st, Leafs 2nd), I always struggle to come up with something. Pesce isn't worth the Marner, Nylander or even Kadri IMO...but I wouldn't trade him for the likes of Kapanen, Brown, etc... Canes don't need picks, don't need middling prospects, don't need a group of lesser players, etc.....they need good, scoring top 6 forwards. Leafs' top forwards are too high value to trade for Pesce and I don't see any guys below them that I'd personally trade Pesce for.

If Leafs had a forward slightly below Nylander level, that would be ideal, but I don't see that. A guy at the level of Sam Reinhardt would be closer value IMO.

Well as much as it would take away from our biggest strength as a team (center depth) I'd really consider Kadri for Pesce.

I'd like to get a C prospect back - Nic Roy would probably be my first choice. I'm not sure what another need for Carolina is, but I'd add another part to possibly even it out.

We kind of have goalie log jam with Sparks. If goaltender is an area of need.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If this Nylander thing gets ridiculous then they may consider Nylander for Pesce and picks. But it would be a good pick or two. Like an unprotected 1st and at least another 2nd. Or we would get a good young forward for our team as well on top of Pesce and maybe something else.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If this Nylander thing gets ridiculous then they may consider Nylander for Pesce and picks. But it would be a good pick or two. Like an unprotected 1st and at least another 2nd. Or we would get a good young forward for our team as well on top of Pesce and maybe something else.

I don't think the Canes would do that. They have Mrazek and Darling as goalies, a new unproven head coach, and Jordan Staal as the only NHL proven center right now (with Rask injured), etc... There's as good of a chance that they are picking in the top 5 as not next year.

While Pesce is clearly not worth Nylander, I don't think the value difference is the Canes unprotected 1st OA (which could very easily be top 5) and a 2nd. That's why I don't think a deal would ever get done between the two teams.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

A player who could earn 50+ points on Matthews wing who can pass and pot a few? I could think of 3 off the top of my hat.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think the Canes would do that. They have Mrazek and Darling as goalies, a new unproven head coach, and Jordan Staal as the only NHL proven center right now (with Rask injured), etc... There's as good of a chance that they are picking in the top 5 as not next year.

While Pesce is clearly not worth Nylander, I don't think the value difference is the Canes unprotected 1st OA (which could very easily be top 5) and a 2nd. That's why I don't think a deal would ever get done between the two teams.

Pesce + Bean for Nylander and a second... I'm not sure how to balance it out... you tell me.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
As a fan of both teams (Canes 1st, Leafs 2nd), I always struggle to come up with something. Pesce isn't worth the Marner, Nylander or Kadri IMO...but I wouldn't trade him for the likes of Kapanen, Brown, etc... Canes don't need picks, don't need middling prospects, don't need a group of lesser players, etc.....they need good, scoring top 6 forwards. Leafs' top forwards are too high value to trade for Pesce and I don't see any guys below them that I'd personally trade Pesce for.

This sounds like an issue that could be resolved with time, good chance that one of Brown/Kap/Johnsson takes that step and becomes a good scoring top 6 forward this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->