2018 Around the League III: The OTT players said WHAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Florida has absolutely awful announcers as well.

I'm trying to remember which announcers are not terrible. I think San Jose? Guys were not bad?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Florida has absolutely awful announcers as well.

I'm trying to remember which announcers are not terrible. I think San Jose? Guys were not bad?
The MSG guys were pretty good IIRC. Pittsburgh's got legendarily terrible announcers...Nashville has (had?) funny ones...I think Terry Crisp ended up there. I remember one game between the Canucks and Preds when the teams were actually both good, and when Burrows got sprung on a late game breakaway to seal the game for the Canucks, you could hear him going: "No..no...aw, man..!" in the background.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
John and John are biased commentators, but Jack Edwards....hoooooly moley.

I just watched the full clip of Hyman's hit on McAvoy from the Bruins broadcast and it's pretty wild. Worst commentator in the league.

McAvoy gets hit half a second late. "HYMAN IS A HEADHUNTER. THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE PAY FOR. TO SEE HYMAN TAKE A RUN AT A GREAT YOUNG TALENT." I mean, in all fairness I was upset when Petey got hit so I can relate. It's hard seeing a great young talent take a hard hit and potentially be injured, especially with a concussion. But there's more. The double standard is coming.

Hyman takes down Gryzlck in a quick fight. Jack Edwards says absolutely nothing.

Wagner tries throwing a flying elbow at Reilly. "THAT'S A GOOD HIT. SHOULDER TO SHOULDER. THERE YOU GO. YEAH."

Wagner fights Hainsey and wrestles him down. "OH YEAH, THERE YOU GO. WAGNER DROPS HAINSEY."

It's just insane.

To be completely honest, I don't even hate the Bruins outside of Marchand anymore. I like McAvoy, and I was sorry to see him take a hit like that after coming back from a concussion. The reason I don't hate their team as much anymore is most the guys I hated are gone. I like Pasta, very exciting player to watch. That said, I strongly dislike Jack Edwards, the man's an absolute joke and the definition of rose-coloured glasses. Listening to twelve drunk dudes argue over a cheeseburger would be more palatable than Jack Edwards.
Heh, surprised you didn’t mention the time he compared Matt Cooke to Sirhan Sirhan. Remember this is Boston we’re talking about and he’s comparing him to the guy that shot Bobby Kennedy.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Man the 2015 draft class is looking like one of more stacked in recent history. Makes it even more funny that the Bruins had 3 consecutive picks in the first round and not having much to show for it, Jake Debrusk has been pretty, but they could have Barzal, Boeser, and Kyle Connor right now lol

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The Colorado guys are indeed the biggest homers. I would call Jack Edwards the most ****ing crazy announcer out there, though. When he loses his temper, he’s freaking gone.

Yep. The disparity between their team's goals and oppositions goals for Edwards isn't as big as others. Most notably, the Altitude announcers absolutely lose their shit when the Avs score and basically have no reaction when the other team scores

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Man the 2015 draft class is looking like one of more stacked in recent history. Makes it even more funny that the Bruins had 3 consecutive picks in the first round and not having much to show for it, Jake Debrusk has been pretty, but they could have Barzal, Boeser, and Kyle Connor right now lol

Chabot too. Could have got a first line/pairing centre, winger and defense all in one round.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Someone posted this the other day. It's EP40's failed shootout attempt against Detroit, from the Detroit broadcast.

I like it not only because it's the Detroit announcer being impressed with the other team's player, but he's impressed on a failed shootout attempt. One of my pet peeves with the shootout is that people constantly act like failed attempts are "weak" but if a player scores on the same move (as EP40 later did against Nashville,) then it's brilliant. I like that the Detroit announcer recognized the sick deke even though EP40 lost control of the puck. I remember even many of the posters in the GDT at the time didn't recognize this and said they were disappointed in the attempt.

Dunno much about the Detroit announcers really, but felter.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Someone posted this the other day. It's EP40's failed shootout attempt against Detroit, from the Detroit broadcast.

I like it not only because it's the Detroit announcer being impressed with the other team's player, but he's impressed on a failed shootout attempt. One of my pet peeves with the shootout is that people constantly act like failed attempts are "weak" but if a player scores on the same move (as EP40 later did against Nashville,) then it's brilliant. I like that the Detroit announcer recognized the sick deke even though EP40 lost control of the puck. I remember even many of the posters in the GDT at the time didn't recognize this and said they were disappointed in the attempt.

Dunno much about the Detroit announcers really, but felter.

Agreed - goalie was completely beat, the only thing that saved him was Pettersson losing the handle. Rather see an attempt like that than skating straight in and shooting into the pads like so many do.

WTBS, EP needs to add 2 more finishes to his repertoire after the initial cross over the royal road.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The MSG guys were pretty good IIRC. Pittsburgh's got legendarily terrible announcers...Nashville has (had?) funny ones...I think Terry Crisp ended up there. I remember one game between the Canucks and Preds when the teams were actually both good, and when Burrows got sprung on a late game breakaway to seal the game for the Canucks, you could hear him going: "No..no...aw, man..!" in the background.

Early Preds broadcasting could be best described as two drunk uncles sort of talking about the game going on in front of them and whatever rabbit holes they decided to go down.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Apparently there is still a market for the guy. My sense is Benning will try to trade him and if he was healthy last year a deal might have happened. Wasn't there a deal for Demers that got scuttled because he didn't want to play here?

Yep, Demers declined using his NTC. Would have been such a massive upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad