2018 Around the League III: The OTT players said WHAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Good. The Arizona experiment has been a phenomenal failure. Also lines up better with central division switch.

I am going off memory here, but I don't think the problem is Arizona per se, but where in Arizona the team is. The problem is the team is far away from well anything. It is a growing area for hockey as you just need to look at players like Matthews and (I can't remember the others, but Spittin Chickets has brought them up) their youth hockey is doing well.

Really would we expect the Britich Columbia Canucks to draw a tone of people if they were playing in Abbotsford?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am going off memory here, but I don't think the problem is Arizona per se, but where in Arizona the team is. The problem is the team is far away from well anything. It is a growing area for hockey as you just need to look at players like Matthews and (I can't remember the others, but Spittin Chickets has brought them up) their youth hockey is doing well.

Really would we expect the Britich Columbia Canucks to draw a tone of people if they were playing in Abbotsford?
Honestly the Jets should never have moved there. The suns arena opened in 1992 as a basketball specific arena because colangelo, suns owner in the 80’s asked the NHL if they would ever come to Phoenix and was told not in his lifetime.

That basically ensured that the coyotes would never be successful there.

They took the Glendale deal and it hasn’t worked out for them. Blame the recession or whatever. They rolled the dice there and lost.

Everything about sports is about the arena. Who controls the arena matters as well as it’s configuration. Barclays is basketball only. Key was renovated to be basketball only.

I mean if Key Arena was actually knocked down and built back up as basketball only like Barclays, then there would not have been an nhl team awarded to Seattle. It would be the same age as Rogers arena give a year. Sonics would not have left and whoever the sonics owner would be would control the arena. Doubt they would give up control to OVG so that they could do an $800 million or whatever remodel to convert it to accommodate hockey. Even if the sonics owner wanted a hockey team would the revenue from hockey offset the revenue he would lose to hand control over the arena to OVG.

I personally would play the situation the same way as fertitita is doing. He controls the Toyota Center and is in the 5th largest us market. Try to get the price at what you want. Not desperate for a team like Seattle who needed a tenant before the city would let them renovate.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Yep, I went to a game one time and it was isolated in the middle of nowhere 40 mins outside of downtown Phoenix with not great transit options if you want to be able to get home after a couple drinks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yep, I went to a game one time and it was isolated in the middle of nowhere 40 mins outside of downtown Phoenix with not great transit options if you want to be able to get home after a couple drinks.
It’s too bad that the NHL told colangelo that there was virtually no chance of the nhl going to Phoenix. But also colangelo didn’t have to design the arena to be basketball specific.

If that arena was like Rogers arena hockey would be fine in AZ. Sometimes one decision impacts the fortunes of a city or franchise.

Same as Barclays when the origina plans were to include it being able to support the.nhl but they scaled it back due to the recession.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
OT here but I was switching between the Canucks game and the Sabres game and my god Dahlin and Eichel are just fantastic players.

Dahlin is incredible. Dude is an 18 year old rookie defenseman and he looks like he's been in the league for years. Reminds me of when Bieksa talked about how Tanev as a rookie played like he was smoking a cigarette because of how calm he was with the puck.

member 290103

Good. The Arizona experiment has been a phenomenal failure. Also lines up better with central division switch.

At some point we need to stop adding teams. No one is interested in the AZ or FLA teams, both of these should be relocated before they add new teams. f***ing expansion fee is driving this.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Early Preds broadcasting could be best described as two drunk uncles sort of talking about the game going on in front of them and whatever rabbit holes they decided to go down.
Totally not like John and John now...at all...

And I still can't walk down the condiment aisle at the grocery store and think: "Not Kraft..." when I get to the salad dressings.

Yep, Demers declined using his NTC. Would have been such a massive upgrade.
This is not what I've seen from Demers lately.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Totally not like John and John now...at all...

And I still can't walk down the condiment aisle at the grocery store and think: "Not Kraft..." when I get to the salad dressings.

This is not what I've seen from Demers lately.

Probably because he's out with a season ending knee injury?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
4 goals on 5 shots. No idea how the Flames haven't replaced him, the rest of their team is good enough to be one of the top teams in the West.

Outside of Vernon and Kipprusoff, the Flames goaltending has been a hot mess.

It's free agent pick ups/trades that don't amount to much, remember when Roman Turek played like a Vezina Trophy winner at the start of the 2001-2002 season? Then he signed a brand spanking new contract with Calgary then proceeded to collect the cheques and stop playing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca