2018 Around the League III: The OTT players said WHAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
There it is.

The Flames are a non-Smith goalie away from being elite. They are already really, really good.

Still think the Hamilton trade comes back to haunt them eventually (once Giordano retires) but Lindholm has been a great addition so far. 20 goals from Monahan already, who somehow might be the most underrated star in the league. And Tkachuk...

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
There it is.

The Flames are a non-Smith goalie away from being elite. They are already really, really good.

Still think the Hamilton trade comes back to haunt them eventually (once Giordano retires) but Lindholm has been a great addition so far. 20 goals from Monahan already, who somehow might be the most underrated star in the league. And Tkachuk...

Their only answer to a Gudbranson type player is a full faceshield. I don't see them going far in the playoffs.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Impressed with the Flyers continuous ability to choke away games. They seem on the verge of doing some crazy shit to rattle the cage, which you'd think is becoming increasingly more likely if they continue to struggle.

And yeah the Flames are a better goalie away from arguably being the best team in the west. Heck they're already 3rd in point percentage with Rittich and Smith, if they can figure that out they could be poised to go places this season, as much as I hate to say that.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Flames seem largely dependent upon their top line and Gio, I have absolutely no statistics to back that up.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Tkachuk gets many points while playing with monahan and or gaudreau, especially on the PP

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Cory Schneider may be the worst goalie in the NHL right now.
That trade for the pick that led to Horvat may be one of the best in recent Canuck history. Even though Schneider had some good years he would have just resulted in us getting even worse draft picks. That contract looks ugly for NJ.
Too bad as I like Schneider. He’s a good guy.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Neal contract was questionable from the beginning, however, I like what treliving did in the summer. He recognized that the offense had grown stale and made changes to address exactly that. Lindholm has been a nice addition up front and does give them some more legitimate firepower. Tkachuk while maybe getting some PP points is still anchoring his own line 5-on-5 and is on pace for 50 even strength points. But the Neal contract hasn't worked out at this point. Still without looking into it I seem to recall Neal being an incredibly streaky player. No one is going to complain if all of a sudden in March and April he lights the lamp 10-15 times and has a hot hand going into the playoffs.

They dealt from a position of strength and balanced the team out a bit. If they can fix their goal tending then they are a clear contender. I hate having to say that.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
That trade for the pick that led to Horvat may be one of the best in recent Canuck history. Even though Schneider had some good years he would have just resulted in us getting even worse draft picks. That contract looks ugly for NJ.

His career was never the same after the trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
He was good for a few years after. I think people forget just how old he was when he got traded. He was in his late 20's but people acted like he was a really young goalie. I think he just got old and unfortunately spent his prime stuck behind Luongo and Brodeur. I can't think of another trade where I was so incredibly wrong as that one. Not just the trade but the pick too. Really wanted Nuke who has struggled even when playing on Benn and Seguin's wing. Oops.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Didn't he have several surgeries done on his hip..?..

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

I was absolutely furious about that trade.

Should have trusted Gillis. Guy knew what he was doing.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Schneider was probably at his peak when we traded him. After fully taking over for Brodeur in 2015, he was probably a top-3 goalie in the league. Injuries have derailed him since, but I don't think NJ has the team defense that most think they do. Could see him fitting in really well and bouncing back with say... Calgary. Of course, I said the same thing about Eddie Lack...

Reactions: geebaan

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Ruuta on waivers

Guy was solid last year, what's happened this year?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
His career was never the same after the trade.
This is not true and I'm not sure how you could have got this idea. He was one of the best goaltenders in the NHL for multiple seasons following the trade. He'd never consistently been the clear #1 on a team before it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Schneider was utterly elite from 2010-2016.

Unfortunately he spent half that time backing up Luongo and the other half propping up woeful Devils teams. Then his hip gave out.

It’s hard to think of a player, ever, who had worse situational luck in his career. Could probably have had 2-3 Vezinas if he’d spent that 6-year period as the undisputed #1 on a top team.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I loved Schneider and initially hated the trade, but once the Canucks began their downturn, that sour grapes (in the Aesop sense, not the dumb sports fan sense) definitely sold me on it. Having him wouldn't have helped a lick over the next 5 years and the Canucks are, it turns out, way better off right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->