Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
He played 79 games in his rookie season. Jumbo Joe is a better example of your suggestion.
Huh you're right, I must be smoking crack because I swear there was some sort of system like I described in place for Stamkos his rookie year, maybe it was very limited ice time initially instead of full on not playing or something similar. I literally had lunch with the Lightning assistant coach that season and he told me about it.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Huh you're right, I must be smoking crack because I swear there was some sort of system like I described in place for Stamkos his rookie year, maybe it was very limited ice time initially instead of full on not playing or something similar. I literally had lunch with the Lightning assistant coach that season and he told me about it.
I did as well so I looked just to see how many games he played??

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
“He’s a smart guy,” Tocchet said. “He supports the puck and he’s got a hell of a shot. He comes up with loose pucks. Those are kind of the characteristics of a power play guy. Something that we really need.
“Retrievals are big on the power play, and making that play under pressure. Everybody wants to see plays, I know everybody talks about power play struggling, but power play struggles when you don’t come up with retrievals and guys aren’t moving their feet to get support. And I think that’s something that Barrett is good at.”
Coyotes get long break between games; Barrett Hayton's debut nears

Reactions: sundance74

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The owner wanted to market Stamkos and have him on the roster. Melrose didn't think he was ready. So Melrose "Tippet'ed" him. He dressed most games, but he was getting fourth line minutes and his production was bad. Melrose got canned midseason. Stamkos did get better as the year went on.
Melrose says the owners were constantly in his ear. There was a lot of carping back and forth in the media even after he got fired.

That's how Tocchet ended up with the headcoach title in Tampa, actually.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
“He’s a smart guy,” Tocchet said. “He supports the puck and he’s got a hell of a shot. He comes up with loose pucks. Those are kind of the characteristics of a power play guy. Something that we really need.
“Retrievals are big on the power play, and making that play under pressure. Everybody wants to see plays, I know everybody talks about power play struggling, but power play struggles when you don’t come up with retrievals and guys aren’t moving their feet to get support. And I think that’s something that Barrett is good at.”
I guess because our PP is firing on all 1 cylinder, he couldn't find a place for Hayton. :sarcasm:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is an F40 public service announcement.

Hayton practiced with PP1 today.

This has been an F40 public service announcement.
Not sure if that will work or not, but at least RT is trying something different and not waiting like last year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Would it make any difference if I noted that we're only 2 games in and have time to see how the team plays out?
This is true, but RT has basically the same players as last year on the PP except Kessel. You win most games if your special teams are better than the other teams, so I see no harm in changing up the PP early if it's still not clicking like last year. If we can get our PP going we will be in the playoffs because our PK is so good.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This is true, but RT has basically the same players as last year on the PP except Kessel. You win most games if your special teams are better than the other teams, so I see no harm in changing up the PP early if it's still not clicking like last year. If we can get our PP going we will be in the playoffs because our PK is so good.

Probably because certain players were doing specific things. Granted, I don't know a whole lot about Cousins' game, but he seems like the type of player that would consistently move his feet and go after loose pucks, relative to other players. That was why he saw PP time ahead of others and was one of the players who stepped in due to injury absence.

Seeing as we are a) healthy and b) more talented at forward, we can move pieces around with a little more latitude.

FWIW, I am maybe taking a 40,000 foot view here, but I see a very good team that just hasn't scored goals. I like everything about the way we have played, pushed the pace, etc. Even the mistakes that led to goals weren't mistakes as a result of not trying, but rather going 100% on a bad read (specifically referring to the play against Anaheim). I think that we have been way better than the win and point totals indicate, so let's see where we are at. There is a "sky is falling" mentality that I am not 100% certain is warranted at this point in time.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I just don't understand. He's either ready to get in games, or we should send him back. This is frankly stupid. "You earned a 13th forward slot-- congratulations".

The coach has literally just said he’s ready and will play.

Reactions: PuckLife

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Apparently he wasn't ready last week? Makes zero sense. He wasn't ready by the end of camp, but watching two more games from the stands made him NHL-ready? It's dumb, no matter how you slice it.
They handed a guy a roster spot even though they didn't think he was ready after camp. Or he was ready, but not actually a better option than Schmaltz who looks like ass or Fischer and Garland and co who are hardly inspiring at the moment?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Apparently he wasn't ready last week? Makes zero sense. He wasn't ready by the end of camp, but watching two more games from the stands made him NHL-ready? It's dumb, no matter how you slice it.
They handed a guy a roster spot even though they didn't think he was ready after camp. Or he was ready, but not actually a better option than Schmaltz who looks like ass or Fischer and Garland and co who are hardly inspiring at the moment?
Sigh. Everything has to happen immediately. Crying because he didn’t play 2 games to start the season just seems like we are making stuff up to be outraged at this point.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not crying. It's two games. Two games I don't think he's ready for either. But it's still stupid. Was he ready last week? If not, why did he make the roster? He's "almost ready" now? What changed in watching two games from the stands?

It's dumb. If he goes on and plays 80 great games, I'll still wonder with everyone else why he didn't play the first two.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Maybe Chayka needed to validate himself and forced Hayton on the roster seeing as how he is a genius in his own mind at drafting players. RT might be in the camp that he isn't one of the top 12 forwards right now, so he sits, and might sit some more until there is an injury, assuming we win soon. If we keep losing, anyone can play then, have to try something.

Hayton wasn't good enough to make the team as a regular out of camp, maybe they are going to let him play up to the 9 game stint, that could be the likely outcome. I'm all for Hayton getting a chance soon and sticking on the roster this year as a regular, thats what I hope anyway.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Or maybe Hayton has had more on his plate than any other player coming into this season as he's both coming in as a rookie, learning the NHL game, and trying to learn the team-specific style of play. During training camp and preseason his goal was the show he has what it takes to play in the NHL this season. There was probably less of an expectation that he get the team system and line chemistry down up through that point, and this extra week or practicing with the team before making his debut is still quite reasonable.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Or maybe Hayton has had more on his plate than any other player coming into this season as he's both coming in as a rookie, learning the NHL game, and trying to learn the team-specific style of play. During training camp and preseason his goal was the show he has what it takes to play in the NHL this season. There was probably less of an expectation that he get the team system and line chemistry down up through that point, and this extra week or practicing with the team before making his debut is still quite reasonable.
Good post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad