Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I've warmed to the pick over time. The draft is such a crapshoot anyway. I let myself get too enamored with the idea of drafting Zadina or half a dozen other players, and when Chayka went so far off-board I had a hard time adjusting. But I largely got over it. :laugh:

Reactions: Katie Connauton

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I liked the pick, wouldn't have been my pick at 5 but I had him in my top 10 so he wasn't a reach in my eyes. Hes done well for himself, if he can continue to grow and mature then he should be a great 1c/2c option for us in a few years.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Would be interesting to add a poll.

Okay.

For myself, being a general no nothing about undrafted prospects (the only drafts I ever followed terribly closely were '16 and '14) I was never all that miffed about Hayton. I thought they had left better players on the board who could have beaten slot value. I see no chance of Hayton doing that even now. But I do think he is much more likely to reach it now at least so we'll get our money's worth.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
the WJC is going to be 'huge' for Hayton to prove his pick value. I'm truly hoping Chayka was right about him and he is more Bergeron and less Richardson.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Nothing has changed

He was always going to be an impact player with the state of his team and his talent. He was always going to get an invite to the camp. Let me remind you that Strome was dominant AF in the OHL and set records. Cool yer jets.

If he makes the WJC team and works his way up to a very prominent role, then we can say he has progressed beyond expectations. What he's doing now is what a top 20 pick should be doing.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Change of heart? I've been in love with him since last Christmas.

It is seriously great to see your comments. You are on the ball with a lot of them...

I remember watching some video on him and thinking that he was going to exceed his draft position when he was targeted for somewhere between 10 and 15. So, my only hope is that he continues that line of thinking and exceeds his draft position, just from the perspective of him going 5th OA.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
He’s the only 18 yr old forward considered a lock by TSN. I think he will impress in what ever role he is given, keeping in mind that 18 year olds rarely dominate in this tourney. It’s hard to predict if he will be used in an offensive role or shutdown. He can do both imo.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Frost will be on a scoring line and I expect Hayton will be there with him.
It would be great if there was a deal we could make with the Flyers that would see us get Frost as part of the return. Unfortunately I dont think they have a need that we could supply them with and not hurt the team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He's been better than expectations if he's a lock at 18 to make Team Canada. I didn't think he was going to make this team until next year. Long shot at best for this season. So for McKenzie to say he's a lock. That is significant.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
From what I have seen Hayton has a decent chance of getting a letter as well. Oozes leadership.

I am looking forward to watching POJ as well.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I hated it because I had no idea who the f*** he was. I watched some games of each player that seemed likely to go around our spot, and liked them all (except for Boqvist's concussions).

Then I hear "From SSM Barrett Hayton" with Zadina on the board and hated it. The fact that Vancouver also would have passed on Zadina makes me think there may have been some interview issues, or a hole in his game, so I'm not as concerned about passing on him. I've also really liked what I've seen from Hayton.

He seems like the kind of player who will know what he needs to do to develop and pushing himself to do it, which we desperately need because we seem incapable of offering any developmental help. I hope we focus on players like Hayton until that changes, players who are complete packages who have enough personal drive and accountability to push themselves.

Reactions: PuckLife

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
He seems like the kind of player who will know what he needs to do to develop and pushing himself to do it, which we desperately need because we seem incapable of offering any developmental help. I hope we focus on players like Hayton until that changes, players who are complete packages who have enough personal drive and accountability to push themselves.

Piggybacking off of this statement, he was the scholastic player of the year in the OHL, correct?

So this tells me that the kid is self-motivated off the ice and has the work ethic and smarts to figure out the best way to do things.

Although not a fair comparison, I liken it to Ryan Fitzpatrick in the NFL and his Harvard education. His skill set is about equal and maybe even a little less polished than other players. But he has stuck around due to his smarts and put himself in positions to succeed as a result of them.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
The Athletic's Cory Pronman has Hayton as the 5th best NHL prospect (not in NHL currently and with less than 50 total games played, no more than 25 in a single season) with his midseason report (paywall). 1 spot behind Zadina, Quinn Hughes is #1.

I’ve written a lot this season about Hayton, but he’s looked fantastic every time I’ve watched him. His skill level and playmaking ability are among the best in junior hockey and at the world juniors he showed people how creative he can be. While his skill drives his value, he’s also a very competitive two-way forward who projects to be a reliable defensive center in the NHL. He’s improved his skating and can play at a quick pace when he wants to, but too often I find he slows the play down more than I’d like. With his talent and progression, it’s hard to be too down on him, and I think he could be a top-line center one day for the Coyotes.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
He's done well in taking his game to another level. Do I think he will out produce Zadina? Nope! Still think Zadina will be a better pro...but I no longer hate the pick and hope he turns into a 60pt C. It would be finally nice to see one of our picks become one of the top 3 players drafted though, that would be just rewards for years of futility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad