Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Knights fan here.

It's tough to watch a top prospect like Hayton get 3 consecutive healthy scratches. Feels like it would be better for him to get sent down soon and get into some games with SSM (and later with the Canadian U20 team).
Glass is a year older and had different things he needed to work on. Hayton is ready physically, and already plays a very well-rounded, three-zone game.

If the Coyotes weren't on a winning streak or if they had any forwards injured, Hayton would be playing more. The coach isn't messing with the lineup while the team is winning games (and in fairly dominant fashion), especially with everyone healthy.

It's a long season. The Coyotes have played 7 games. There are 75 games remaining. They aren't going to have their top 13 forwards healthy for the next 75 games. They aren't going to win the next 75 games either. Hayton will draw in soon. He's going to get plenty of starts.

All of this angst is sample-size related.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Glass is a year older and had different things he needed to work on. Hayton is ready physically, and already plays a very well-rounded, three-zone game.

If the Coyotes weren't on a winning streak or if they had any forwards injured, Hayton would be playing more. The coach isn't messing with the lineup while the team is winning games (and in fairly dominant fashion), especially with everyone healthy.

It's a long season. The Coyotes have played 7 games. There are 75 games remaining. They aren't going to have their top 13 forwards healthy for the next 75 games. They aren't going to win the next 75 games either. Hayton will draw in soon. He's going to get plenty of starts.

All of this angst is sample-size related.
Agreed. And remember, if he’s sent to the OHL he can’t be called up. Injuries will unfortunately happen at some point. Because he is head and shoulders above the other prospect, I can’t see the Brass sending him down. They are counting on him contributing this year - they are just taking a gradual approach.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Interesting that Coyote fans are all patient and understanding of the circumstances, while other HFers are expressing so much concern. I'm not just referring to this thread, but more so the Hayton thread on the main boards.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Interesting that Coyote fans are all patient and understanding of the circumstances, while other HFers are expressing so much concern. I'm not just referring to this thread, but more so the Hayton thread on the main boards.

Main board posters have their own individual agendas, like being fans of the Soo first and foremost, or not liking AZ/Chayka etc...

It's absurd to think a prospect is being ruined a few weeks into the season regardless.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
He's going to get time, especially on an east coast road trip. We'll need fresh legs soon. And like we said, injuries are going to happen eventually and he's not going to be getting scratched in favor of the likes of Michael Bunting or Andy Miele

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I don't expect other team's fans to know that we are playing pretty well and that whatever mojo is being created by this lineup is good. Hard to find a reason to put Hayton in (although theoretically, we haven't lost in regulation since using Hayton in some way in the top 12).

So, Barrett, thank you for starting our win streak.

Reactions: PuckLife

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Let's not forget that in the O Hayton is broke. Up here he has money in his pocket. We are doing Hayton a solid.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Let's not forget that in the O Hayton is broke. Up here he has money in his pocket. We are doing Hayton a solid.
Meh... he's probably already earned over $100k USD from his short time with the Coyotes this fall. That would go a long way in Sault Ste Marie.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Eh, he took a beating making to cute or to slow of plays. He's not going to unlearn OHL habits by playing in the OHL

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I must say that if he doesn't get into the game Thursday, it will be a mistake. All I know about kids is that they "like" playing games, and he was one of our better players in the games he dressed and he needs to get back out there.

If they are trying to "coach him up" on the sidelines that is fine, but the communication has to be crystal clear and the "expectations" clearly set that if he meets those then he gets to go in and demonstrate that he can belong.

I'm not a fan of sitting the rookies for long stretches...I think "confidence" is a huge thing, and I know that Hayton probably has more confidence than the normal rookie, but I believe that confidence is earned through playing, I haven't seen anyone gain confidence by not playing.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think there are lessons to learn on time zone travel and how that affects you but if he isn’t in the lineup for at least half of this road trip I start moving closer to putting back to juniors and signing a Scott Upshall for league minimum to have some depth.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think there are lessons to learn on time zone travel and how that affects you but if he isn’t in the lineup for at least half of this road trip I start moving closer to putting back to juniors and signing a Scott Upshall for league minimum to have some depth.
If in a few weeks he’s still a regular healthy scratch, we should send him back.

Not sold on Upshall though. Would rather trade a top three protected 1st and for Zucker, and then start scratching Fischer if everyone is healthy.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If in a few weeks he’s still a regular healthy scratch, we should send him back.

Not sold on Upshall though. Would rather trade a top three protected 1st and for Zucker, and then start scratching Fischer if everyone is healthy.
I would be going a lot deeper than 3rd overall on that protected first. I really like Lapierre and last list I saw had him around 11th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad