Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Well, I was wrong to feel so disappointed when we passed up Zedina. Teach me to buy into the draft hype. I have no expertise, none, at evaluating hockey players so young that you can count their pubic hairs on one hand (Tanner 2 for those interested).

Ok, well step 1 in the evaluation is clearly to count the pubic hairs. Then there is a formula which correlates this number to future NHL success.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
They need to decide what they are doing with Hayton soon. Leaving him in limbo is pretty stupid. I would suggest trying him for a couple games and see how it goes. He can't do any worse then the rest of the team is doing so why not? Is it really a gamble? But if they don't want to go that route then they need to send him somewhere to play. He needs to be in some games somewhere.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
They need to decide what they are doing with Hayton soon. Leaving him in limbo is pretty stupid. I would suggest trying him for a couple games and see how it goes. He can't do any worse then the rest of the team is doing so why not? Is it really a gamble? But if they don't want to go that route then they need to send him somewhere to play. He needs to be in some games somewhere.

He has nothing to learn in junior. There's no point. They're going to Stamkos him if they have to.

Looks like he'll get his chance next game.

Reactions: Plub and Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
He should be back in the OHL after his 9 game stint, and he can gain valuable experience as Captain of Team Canada at the WJC this year.

He’s got absolutely nothing left to prove in the OHL...... ZERO.

He really belongs in the AHL if anything but the NHL-CHL agreement prevents that.

Reactions: Plub

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
He’s got absolutely nothing left to prove in the OHL...... ZERO.

He really belongs in the AHL if anything but the NHL-CHL agreement prevents that.

It’s not about “proving” anything. It’s about playing 30 minutes a night and getting top powerplay time. Developing the dominance at 19 that we all one day want to see in the NHl at age 25.

And yes there is still a lot to be learned at the OHL level for Hayton. Even if he is putting up the points while learning it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It’s not about “proving” anything. It’s about playing 30 minutes a night and getting top powerplay time. Developing the dominance at 19 that we all one day want to see in the NHl at age 25.

And yes there is still a lot to be learned at the OHL level for Hayton. Even if he is putting up the points while learning it.
Nah. Without more of a challenge his development can stagnate. He shouldn't play with kids as the opposition day in and day out, with only playoffs and international pageants to give him a greater challenge.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Playing at a man’s level against kids isn’t going to help him one bit except pad a bunch of stats and give SOO fans a lot to cheer about.

No... I’d rather see him in the A. Learning the Coyotes system and be receive direction by an NHL level staff on a daily basis. Then he could dominate at age 21 instead of 25. But that damn CHL fubars it.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don't wanna read through all the pages, but did someone say he was working into the lines at today's practice? So we could expect him for the Vegas game?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I think at this point he is practicing, watching, and studying the NHL game (pre-season doesn't really allow for this). Hopefully by around game 10 he gets some Game time, but you gotta see how the current roster does first. Of course, I could recommend a substitution (Fischer) as soon as game 3 or, perhaps scratch Schmaltz a game or two before Game 10.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Playing at a man’s level against kids isn’t going to help him one bit except pad a bunch of stats and give SOO fans a lot to cheer about.

No... I’d rather see him in the A. Learning the Coyotes system and be receive direction by an NHL level staff on a daily basis. Then he could dominate at age 21 instead of 25. But that damn CHL fubars it.

Given the choice I’d stick him in the AHL as well. If that’s not an option I take OHL over the NHL for him this year though.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Stamkos him?
During his rookie year Stamkos came out of the gates a little slow initially, which was a little scary for fans after all the "Seen Stamkos?" hype campaign, so they instituted a program that saw him purposely alternating between playing and watching from the press box. He spent a lot of the off time training and studying and by the end of the season he started playing every game and had a crazy good finish, like 20 goals in final 20 games or something like that. Basically they kept him up on the big club but slowly eased him into playing time regardless of performance from game to game.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
During his rookie year Stamkos came out of the gates a little slow initially, which was a little scary for fans after all the "Seen Stamkos?" hype campaign, so they instituted a program that saw him purposely alternating between playing and watching from the press box. He spent a lot of the off time training and studying and by the end of the season he started playing every game and had a crazy good finish, like 20 goals in final 20 games or something like that. Basically they kept him up on the big club but slowly eased him into playing time regardless of performance from game to game.

This was a bad idea then (Stamkos being an elite 1st overall pick wasn’t going to be denied though), and is definitely a bad idea now.

What’s Hayton going to do, hang around the rink and watch Kessel not do cardio?

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
This was a bad idea then (Stamkos being an elite 1st overall pick wasn’t going to be denied though), and is definitely a bad idea now.

What’s Hayton going to do, hang around the rink and watch Kessel not do cardio?
I think the system turned out pretty well for Stamkos.

Every player is different. I’m a big fan of doing this as it allows Hayton ease into the NHL lifestyle while also not having a ton of responsibilities put on his shoulders early in the season.

I think in time we’ll see him playing every game but this is basically signaling that RT n Chayka haven’t given him a spot yet, but they want him to earn it

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He played 79 games in his rookie season. Jumbo Joe is a better example of your suggestion.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The player Chayka keeps referencing is Robert Thomas. He was scratched early last season, given fewer minutes, eventually building up plying time and opportunities, finally culminating in eventually being a valuable member of the the Stanley Cup win.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
“He’s a smart guy,” Tocchet said. “He supports the puck and he’s got a hell of a shot. He comes up with loose pucks. Those are kind of the characteristics of a power play guy. Something that we really need.
“Retrievals are big on the power play, and making that play under pressure. Everybody wants to see plays, I know everybody talks about power play struggling, but power play struggles when you don’t come up with retrievals and guys aren’t moving their feet to get support. And I think that’s something that Barrett is good at.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad