Prospect Info: 2018 #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hatin' on Hayton?

• Total voters

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I wouldn't be surprised if this is going to be Strome part 2. No ice time this year and next season limited minutes on the third and fourth line. Hayton will become frustrated, show some attitude and then shipped out in exchange for a journeyman.
I see it differently, as Strome and Hayton are very different players. Unlike Strome, Hayton has an ability to play up and down the line-up, and contribute in more ways than scoring. I'm not sure he ever amounts to more than a 2C, but I would be shocked if he doesn't have a regular role on the team next year and play 70+ games (barring injury).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He had more than just a couple of bad penalties. There were plenty of mistakes in his decision making as well.
Of course, he's a kid. Our vets make mistake also and they still get major TOI. Hayton should have played more the first half of the year so we could evaluate his progression, and that was my point. We are weak at C, and he may have helped us at this time of year, but all they did was scratch him. Terrible management. To expect Hayton to jump in now and help big time is just plain crazy, in fact I don't see how RT can play him now considering how we are battling for a PO spot.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
in fact I don't see how RT can play him now considering how we are battling for a PO spot.

I get the hesitation, but what's the worst that could happen at this point. We still are mediocre to bad? I'm not worried about playing time of any sort hurting Hayton so it would be positive in that respect.

Look at what Cale Makar did last year. Never played a single regular season game, and he was dynamite in the playoffs straight off. Hayton doesn't even have to do that, just be solid enough. If you just play Richardson or Grabner or Vinny(this year's version anyway) some more you know exactly what you're gonna get and lately that hasn't been enough. Hayton certainly couldn't do much worse and he has the punchers chance of doing better, the others don't.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I get the hesitation, but what's the worst that could happen at this point. We still are mediocre to bad? I'm not worried about playing time of any sort hurting Hayton so it would be positive in that respect.

Look at what Cale Makar did last year. Never played a single regular season game, and he was dynamite in the playoffs straight off. Hayton doesn't even have to do that, just be solid enough. If you just play Richardson or Grabner or Vinny(this year's version anyway) some more you know exactly what you're gonna get and lately that hasn't been enough. Hayton certainly couldn't do much worse and he has the punchers chance of doing better, the others don't.
I agree, but I believe RT thinks we are in the hunt, and for the last 20 he will rely on his vets more than ever. Right now, Grabner is sitting, so that is a non issue, and Richardson is there for PK and FO's, so the only alternative in my eyes is Vinny, who is not a game changer, so I don't see the harm inserting Hayton in that spot, unless Vinny is trade bait and we don't want to lower his already low value.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if this is going to be Strome part 2. No ice time this year and next season limited minutes on the third and fourth line. Hayton will become frustrated, show some attitude and then shipped out in exchange for a journeyman.

Totally different scenarios, in my opinion. Not every prospect needs to get treated the same way. Strome was in Erie at this time when he was 18. I think that already says that even if Strome were up on the NHL roster, he would not have been one of the first choices to replace a player in the lineup, whereas Hayton is closer.

Kind of a side question, but would anyone else have been a little disturbed that a player who had a younger brother getting drafted and an older brother who had one good year, but had kind of petered out a little would be less prepared to understand the rigors of the NHL? Take for example, the apartment or housing question. Our brass doesn't tell him to search for apartments or whatever. Does he not have the foresight to call his brother and ask him what is done in this scenario? Is this just a one-off thing and he needs to consider a low rent place to keep his stuff together? Can he shack up with a different player? Etc.

I think those are factors right there that show the separation between these two. We always hear how Hayton will do things in practice that are talked about and tries to take what is being taught to involve himself and evolve his game. There wasn't much of that elsewhere, so no, I don't think that we are ruining Hayton. I even think that the leaders are actually wanting to include him more, but there have been times when it doesn't make sense. A road trip against Dallas and St. Louis would also be a tough slate to get back into the NHL.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think Tocc is content with the current lines. Line 1 is untouchable. He's said he likes what Keller, Schmaltz and Kessel are doing now. Line4 has been very effective and no one wants Hayton there.

Personally I'd like to see Hayton with Schmaltz and Keller. Put Kessel in Vinnies spot. But I'd also be okay with Hayton taking Vinnies spot on the wing.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think Tocc is content with the current lines. Line 1 is untouchable. He's said he likes what Keller, Schmaltz and Kessel are doing now. Line4 has been very effective and no one wants Hayton there.

Personally I'd like to see Hayton with Schmaltz and Keller. Put Kessel in Vinnies spot. But I'd also be okay with Hayton taking Vinnies spot on the wing.

The Keller-Schmaltz-Kessel line has been pretty good lately, but now the third line has dried up completely. Agreed that I'd like to see Hayton in Vinnie's spot to give us more optionality at center and see if we can get three lines rolling. I also wouldn't mind seeing Vinnie and Fischer swap spots for a little bit just to see if either line can start scoring. Regardless I want to see Hayton in sooner rather than later.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Keller-Schmaltz-Kessel makes deployment much easier for Tocchet, which is his biggest weakness. You put all the sheltered guys on one line, it makes it real easy to figure when they should and shouldn't be on the ice. It limits the damage Phil can do at ES.

Hayton will have to come in elsewhere.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Yeah agreed, and it seems to be working decently so far. The 4th line actually had one of the harder times getting out of our own zone yesterday when being out there for too long. I felt like I rarely saw the KSK line stuck or in the defensive zone much at all.

My preference would be:
Crouse-Hayton-Fischer
Soda-Stepan-Hino

But I know it will most likely be Hayton in Hino's spot and everything else remains the same.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Keller-Schmaltz-Kessel makes deployment much easier for Tocchet, which is his biggest weakness. You put all the sheltered guys on one line, it makes it real easy to figure when they should and shouldn't be on the ice. It limits the damage Phil can do at ES.

That's fine at home. Harder to do on the road...

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Will the journeyman get hurt and be handed a huge contract extension?

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I doubt he comes in for the Dallas game, probably not St. Louis either. Both those teams are larger so it's possible they don't want him out there when he hasn't readjusted to the speed of the NHL game when hits are coming. I feel like the team has stepped up its physicality since beginning to play better, though the degree of that isn't of great significance. Still, likely to see a lineup that can handle that better and I'm not sure you want Hayton at risk.

I also really doubt his development is being drastically affected by sitting another game or two. I mean, honestly, there's no expectation from any side that he'll carry the team into the play-offs once he's in the line-up. He's going to be focused on improving his game and adjusting to being a full-time NHLer so he can be on the full-roster come next season. If he excels, great, but to act like this is mismanagement of the highest order is hyperbole.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

I have a hunch that this deployment suggestion came from Chayka...hopefully they really enjoy playing with each other and can catch fire.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
A day late and erroneous then. I had asked on Wednesday why he had done a conditioning stint in Tucson, then never played since. That was the response...nothing to do with attitude, mismanagement or penalties taken.

Last edited:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
But it's all about not playing 40 games so this doesn't bring him one year closer to UFA, isn't it? Also, is he excempt from the expansion-draft in all cases now?

He has played 16 games so far per capfriendly. It's 17 games left of the season. That's at most 33. Leaving 6 games for the playoffs if he plays all the 17. Wait, I can see on puckpedia: " If a player is on the NHL team's roster but injured, the team's games count towards the 40 game minimum. " Has he been on the IR for this to count, so has he accrued a season already, so my math is all rubbish?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
But it's all about not playing 40 games so this doesn't bring him one year closer to UFA, isn't it? Also, is he excempt from the expansion-draft in all cases now?

He has played 16 games so far per capfriendly. It's 17 games left of the season. That's at most 33. Leaving 6 games for the playoffs if he plays all the 17. Wait, I can see on puckpedia: " If a player is on the NHL team's roster but injured, the team's games count towards the 40 game minimum. " Has he been on the IR for this to count, so has he accrued a season already, so my math is all rubbish?
Not sure where Hayton stands on this, but the name of the game is winning. Hayton should have been playing earlier on, or at least every couple of games. The way he has played the last two games, he could have been a regular if he would have gotten a real chance earlier in the year.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Two weeks left and his OHL team’s season ends, most likely without making the playoffs.

Would be a great opportunity to send him to the AHL for meaningful top 6 minutes in a pro playoff environment.

I’d like to see Hayton get no more than 5 NHL games during the next 15 days, so that he remains Calder Trophy eligible for next season. I predict a big year next year for Hayton, if he gains valuable experience in an AHL playoff run and has a big summer.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Two weeks left and his OHL team’s season ends, most likely without making the playoffs.

Would be a great opportunity to send him to the AHL for meaningful top 6 minutes in a pro playoff environment.

I’d like to see Hayton get no more than 5 NHL games during the next 15 days, so that he remains Calder Trophy eligible for next season. I predict a big year next year for Hayton, if he gains valuable experience in an AHL playoff run and has a big summer.
I don't think the team papered him down to Tucson when they needed to in order for him to be eligible for the AHL playoffs.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
He’s only eligible for “conditioning” down there anyway, right? And doesn’t that require an injury?

I was under the impression that as soon as his OHL team’s season ends (March 22nd, if they remain outside the playoffs), he would be eligible to play in either league (NHL/AHL) without restrictions. I could be wrong though.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Whether or not he's Calder eligible is a moot point, he's not going to be in the running anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad